• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 2008-03-26

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gundam Junkie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:10 am Reply with quote
I consider myself lucky that I didn't get into Anime until the DVD era was in full swing.
Only two animes have ever graced my old tape collection, one being Space Cruiser, which I got when Iwas about 5 or 6 years old. (dubbed Space Battleship Yamato film).

Getting rid of all my old VHS tapes wasn't a problem for me however:
I gave them all to my local charity shops. Wink
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:20 am Reply with quote
Thainen wrote:
Also, if someone really rebuys anime he has already paid for, than maybe he deserves that =) And buying the same thing three times is beyond my comprehension - does anyone really do such things?

I did it for Evangelion (not three times though, just twice). I had the Collection edition on DVD, then went and forked out NZ$120 for the Platinum edition. Mostly for the special features, but still......
parakiss

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:51 am Reply with quote
switching media is really a problem. when youv'e just update your tape to dvd. Now bluray. I will wait until the prices go down before I give over my money for a new player.
galexia

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:16 am Reply with quote
Oh the humanity of it all!

I fully intend to use the PS3 for its bluray capabilities. Other than that, all my vhs tapes (several boxes in the basement) slowly make their way into the hands of my children. It saves my dvds from getting torched, and keeps them entertained Anime smile
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:28 am Reply with quote
Y'know, if I could just find a way to glue/resin-seal old VHS together, I could make and sell geeky-chic shelving for holding new media! I'll make a fortune! Laughing

I suppose I'm lucky in that I didn't accumulate too many videos before switching to DVD. I switched the titles I cared about, and kept the tape I didn't (just in case- they're on top on the DVD shelf.) My sister, luckily, is not terribly concerned with up-to-date visual media and has given my replaced VHS a good home. In the meantime, I've actually been buying new VHS-release only anime to help justify that combo DVD/VCR I have. Wink

The switch to Blu-ray, however, will be different. I have entirely too many anime DVDs now to consider starting over again, so I ain't. At whatever point I have to/am able to make the switch, it'll just be for titles from then on. (I'm sure someone is going to make an ultra-combo VHS/DVD/Blu-ray player by then I can buy.)
Stullz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:15 am Reply with quote
Wow, just... wow... that looked painful.

As for me, my VHS collection was small, I'm 23 now so I really didn't start buying much of my media, DVD or other, until I had a part time job... And as far as I'm concerned my DVD's are here to stay. Only my fav's will get the upgrade to Blu. DVD quality is still very nice.
minakichan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:25 am Reply with quote
Nooo Anime cry. I was thinking "WOW DO THEY HAVE AN ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION?!" but nooooooooo...
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:31 am Reply with quote
Ow.

My mouth hurts.

When it comes to my old media I keep it anyway. Nostalgia.
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:37 am Reply with quote
DuelLadyS wrote:
Y'know, if I could just find a way to glue/resin-seal old VHS together, I could make and sell geeky-chic shelving for holding new media! I'll make a fortune! Laughing

Cyanoacrylate superglue has worked on VHS in my experience, at least for repairing broken ones.

I don't find the argument for upgrading old anime material from DVD to BluRay nearly as compelling as the argument for upgrading from VHS to DVD. Maybe the theatrical anime has the additional detail waiting to be revealed, but the old broadcast anime is unlikely to.
billyarnie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:39 am Reply with quote
RadicaLElly wrote:
Oh lordy, this sounds like me entirely. Although at the moment I have neither a blu-ray player nor an HD quality TV so I'm not gonna panic over replacing my dvds as of yet.

Not planning to get the converter box for my TV either. Not much point to it when I only have basic cable.

Fortunately, my wife & I bought a VCR/DVD about a year ago. Yes, we still record off TV & still have VHS tapes. Anything new we buy is obviously on DVD. In July or August, we plan to buy an LCD HDTV. Then the issues of upgrading to Digital Cable or FIOS (AT&T U-verse where I live) come up, plus the Blu-ray thing.
Since she wants to move our old CRT TV to the bedroom, the VCR/DVD goes with it. Then we could hook a Blu-ray DVD or PS3 up to the HDTV. Depending on the costs of DVR... ARRGH! *sigh*
Media conversions have more to do than VHS to DVD to Blu-ray... good to know that regular DVD's can be played on Blu-ray players... I Hope!
As for Myoopi, that's a Smart... whatever. He knows what makes good candy... & it Ain't hard plastic! Shocked Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
prime_pm

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:39 am Reply with quote
BladeDragoonZETA wrote:
poor Myoopi Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

I'd imagine DVDs don't make for good candy

Makes you wonder what Witchblade will taste like afterwards.
billyarnie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:48 am Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
Makes you wonder what Witchblade will taste like afterwards.

Thank God I watch Witchblade & don't have to eat it! If it had a taste... No, I'm NOT GOIN' THERE! Wink Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Aele

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:17 am Reply with quote
fokkusuhaundo wrote:
I wonder if dvds actually have any nutritional value. Wouldn't you try to cook them before eating them?

Actually since plastic share molecular structure to fat, you can fry with the Vhs
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:24 am Reply with quote
when I have old media that I replace with new I lock up the old and make sure they stay in good condition I try to sell em off or just leave em in the back of the closet with the skeletons
TakinawaTonfa

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:30 am Reply with quote
The VHS fort was kinda cute. The last panel was just too painful to be funny...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6