• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 2008-03-26

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:49 pm Reply with quote
The Ramblin' Wreck wrote:
I do hope the artists realize that Blu-Ray players will play DVDs as well.

Sure, but it's kinda like entering a beagle in a dog show.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Um...beagles win dog shows. Razz

*wants his own VHS fort*
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:24 am Reply with quote
It seems like just yesterday dvds were still popular. Although I do enjoy viewing blue ray dvds, I still remember the good old days of dvds.

My last purchase of a dvd was Karin. Although not in blue ray or HD, the graphics are still excellent.

Interesting comic, thank you for the comic. Anime News Nina is such a great comic to read.
rocklobster

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:39 pm Reply with quote
are there any anime blue-ray titles yet, just out of curiousity?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
LL Kuze DC17

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:16 pm Reply with quote
I love the fort part, and I laughed when I saw them eating the discs, but when I saw mioopi's little bowl with a bunch of DVDs stacked in it, I almost fell off my chair laughing... makes me wonder what kind of candy will come out then...

Gee, guess UMD DX came out on Blu-ray sooner than I thought... although they can just rip all the stuff on the DVDs to a hard drive and be through with all those discs.
ilkz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:06 pm Reply with quote
I do not see the necessity to replace the DVD collection with BRay or Hdvd, it’s not as significant as VHs to dvd, and this is especially true for stuffs like anime. I will explain why:

We probably all know this. The progress form magnetic tapes to laser disk is a revolution in information technology, because it solves a great problem of electronic medium storage where the magnetic tape will degenerate little by little every time its been read / write due the analog nature of variable state, the laser disk digital format do not cause physical changes in the medium when its read only. It can almost last forever if one doesn’t break it in half.

Anime visual is different compare to live action films. Its graphic mostly made from solid color regions and simple light / dark or hue gradient, usually much less features compare to live action or any realism depiction. According to my standard, DVD is already good enough for things like anime because there aren’t many things to lose that result in degrading our visual experience. HD Adoption may not make much difference in anime. This may be one of reason why there aren’t any anime in HD yet but who knows.

Most BRay or Hdvd player must be back compactable for things like DVDs; it’s not a difficult thing and a must do for marketing.

I am quite skeptical about the whole HD business. Since we already have the reliable and data efficient scheme like the DVDs, its seems insane to buy expansive high tech toys and increase amount of ewaste that’s more likely going to harm peoples in poor country. Besides it will trigger another wave of visual stunting but content poor shows as early adoptors that will demand our capital effort.

Not everything from the past will make its way to future, things come n' go is part of natural process of adoption and human process of perfection (if we can) besides how many times one can watch the same show 10 100 1k 1M 1G ...n? Arrow
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:29 am Reply with quote
This is why I don't bother rebuying stuff nine times out of ten (having a well taken care of and properly calibrated system helps too). Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Andromeda

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:48 am Reply with quote
joelgundam00 wrote:
Another great comic Robin. Smile

britannicamoore wrote:
geez, I have to wonder how that plastic will pass. Confused

I'm more concerned about the metal layer in between the plastic, that's made out of aluminum and gold.

I don't know about the aluminum (though I doubt it's toxic in trace amounts, at any rate, or it wouldn't be used for foil on food, now would it...), but pure gold is actually completely non-toxic, and it's a soft metal, too, which makes it actually perfectly edible (albeit not very nutritious...).

In fact, one of the uses for gold leaf (that is, other than decorating art and picture frames) is actually as a decoration for fancy, flashy consumables, particularly drinks (especially alcoholic ones; there's at least one expensive liquor that features flecks of gold as a flashy selling point, and I think I've seen photos of it in champagne glasses to add an extra bit of dazzle, too), and desserts. It's fairly popular on chocolates, for instance, since the darker color of the sweet provides a nice contrast, and it ends up quite pretty.

Mind you, it has to be pure gold though - which is why "food grade" leaf, aka "edible gold leaf" (google it, you'll find it in spades), is marketed separately. There is also such a thing as "composite metal leaf" which can have a gold-like appearance, but features other metals, and I can't say if that would be safe to eat or not; I've never seen it recommended for anything other than non-eating uses, but I guess it would be determined by what other metals are in the mix (copper, for instance, I think is in some composite leaf, and that's actually an element your body requires in small amounts to function if I'm not mistaken...).

Interestingly enough, apparently pure silver is also the same way; silver leaf is also used in desserts, including at least one fairly well-known Indian dessert - mithai, I believe it's called - and in Japan, supposedly they sold and perhaps still sell candy, tea or jelly snacks with flecks of gold leaf in them.

My parents actually do gold and silver leafing as part of their work (my dad restores old picture frames, and the antique ones were usually gold-leafed if they weren't just plain stained wood), and the way it's done actually leaves quite a few tantalizingly sparkly scraps.

If it weren't for the fact that I don't know if it's food-grade or not, I'd probably sneak some home and mix it into my next batch of fudge or tea or something. Laughing Or make red or blue lollipops with it in them! That would be incredibly pretty... (Lollipop recipes it turns out aren't terribly complicated; I googled it out of curiosity the other day. The only hard part of making them seems to be not burning yourself with the dangerously-hot liquid candy while pouring it into the mold... Wink ).

And, going slightly back to the actual topic: I plan to buy the next generation players and writers, but only when they're super-cheap (like DVD is getting to be nowadays), and only because my current DVDs should play fine in them and because as a storage means, though more delicate, they're crazy bigger. A single-layer BluRay disc has over FIVE TIMES the space of a current DVD disc; HD-DVD I think has about three times as much, as I recall.

I actually saw somebody elsewhere suggest that in general, the big "switchover moment" will be when they start releasing "bargain" TV series collections on them; if the video itself is actually regular definition instead of HD video, you could actually easily store an entire season or so's worth of a show on one disc. Hell, probably more. I've seen "hourlong" shows have six or seven episodes per disc on regular DVD (with no extras), which means you could probably get, what, the first two or three seasons of a show on one disc if you left off extras or HD video?

The instant they start doing that and putting them in a reasonable price range, methinks people will be a little happier to adopt the format. Wink

-Andromeda
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Richard J.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:15 am Reply with quote
Out of curiousity, wouldn't it make a great ANN contest to have a forum poster's image immortalized as a Nina fan in the comic itself? You know she's got to have her own fanclub pop up at some point. (It could be a little group of scary fans, like the groups in Shuffle. Nina even looks a little like Nerine from the series.)
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:25 am Reply with quote
rocklobster wrote:
are there any anime blue-ray titles yet, just out of curiousity?

So far, I believe there has been Paprika, Dragonball Z: Broly, and Appleseed Ex Machina. Only seen Appleseed in Blu-Ray form so far. I bought Paprika in Standard DVD form before my roommate bought a PS3, and the Broly Blu-Ray still has a very long wait through Netflix. Ex Machina did look awesome though, especially during fast motion/action scenes. Definitely a difference from standard DVD's.

Oh yeah, then there is Bandai Visual. But I don't care how good the Blu-Ray version looks, I'm not paying their extortionist prices!
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:47 pm Reply with quote
I can see the headlines now.

"Child in hospital after trying to eat a DVD"

Children don't try this at home.

I wonder if Blu-ray tastes like blueberries? Razz
Hellfish

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:02 pm Reply with quote
This will probably sound a little weird but... why replacing the whole collection? As long as the vcr and dvd viewer work you can see your series, unless you don't have space anymore you should be fine. Okay, I know the old formats aren't as shiny but at least are durable.
Heretic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:41 pm Reply with quote
There is no way in hell I'm rebuying all of my DVDs if they are eventually brought over to Blu-ray. I will do it with some of the better looking shows, but I think I'll be fine if I don't have the hi-def version of "Ghost Stories". That being said, if an anime I don't own, and am interested in buying comes out on Blu-ray and DVD, I'll more than likely pick up the Blu-ray version. Anyway, enough of that crap, nice and funny comic as always.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:57 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
I can see the headlines now.

"Child in hospital after trying to eat a DVD"

Children don't try this at home.

I wonder if Blu-ray tastes like blueberries? Razz

I guess HD movies taste like failure then heh. And I'm sure that headline has occurred somewhere already Mohawk. I just gotta find it to prove it he.
reanimator

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 7:46 am Reply with quote
I know this is old post, but I want to say few things.

As a collector, I rather spend my money on obscure titles. I happen to own a book called "Complete collection of Anime LD" (Japanese), which lists every Japanese anime laserdiscs titles released from 1981 to 1997. There are so many titles that are not released to DVD format due to lack of popularity and other factors. Some of them are buried treasures. I know we're moving to next gen media format of Blu-Ray, but not all DVD titles will make to Blu-Ray format. The same cycle will repeat again when something better than Blu-ray shows up in 10-20 years from now.

If you're serious about collecting, i would recommend looking for obscure titles. Internet is good place to look for good list of anime titles. However, it lacks thoroughness of professional media research firms.

Don't bother with popular titles. They will get reprints. If you want to buy a popular titles, I recommend buying only ones that you're strongly attached to. For me, I usually buy titles with highly attractive bonus materials. I prefer printed materials over sculpted materials. From time to time, I buy Anime DVD with storyboard books or artbooks. To me, those figurines are too fragile and takes up more space.

I used to like DVD starter boxes because of graphic designs, but now they became dime a dozen. Not to mention, it became too expensive.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6