• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Eva Movie Remake Gets Theatrical Remake of Its Own

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JELEINEN

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:30 pm Reply with quote
DRWii wrote:

And what makes you say that? Considering the cash cow "Evangelion" is, I'm surprised it hasn't been licensed already.

I seem to recall that Manga Entertainment lost their shirt on the previous Eva movie.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Lyrai wrote:
The cow's udder has just got to be this black, withered husk by now, I think.

Nah. It's probably the best cow on the farm. The one who produces the sweetest milk, with high fat content. Like the Energizer Bunny, she just keeps going.

Well I don't know, but if this is some sort of cut, I wish they would say how many extra minutes(seconds?) it adds to the movie. If it is only enhancements of original scenes then they should have had these done before the movie even came out, don't you think?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Zoe wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:
That's the first I've heard of a movie that was just in theatres, go on DVD and then go back to the theatre. It's like 'SW' the "enhanced ED".

It's not unheard of. Both Alien and Blade Runner went on limited theatre runs when they had director's cuts/special editions released.

Oh yeah, that's right! DUH!!! Guess I don't get out enough. Well, whatever version we get at some point won't be what they decide to put out afterwards. We'll, get release 'C' and they'll follow that up with 'C+x grade'.
DigimonTamer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Everyday I am reminded more and more as to just why I hate Gainax as much as I do.

What baffles me even more is that people continue to support this. Eva wasn't even that good to begin with. Escaflowne was the superior deep and psychological mecha series of the era.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Lackshmana wrote:
Top Gun wrote:
Labbes wrote:
PS: There is one huge difference between Star Wars and Eva - it's impossible to get the original Star Wars on DVD.

Actually, you'd be wrong there. The individual DVD releases of episodes 4-6 include a bonus disk with the original theatrical version of each film. The only reason I'm buying them is for those bonus disks; I don't give a damn about Lucas's post-menopausal rehashes.

I think you might be wrong there.
I am pretty sure those are the LASER DISC versions, as George Lucas claims that the original theatrical versions no longer exist. Maybe I misheard but yeah, I don't believe there is anyway to get the original theatrical versions anymore.

From what I understand, the laser disk versions are essentially one and the same as the original theatrical versions, seeing as how they represent the original home video release of the trilogy; the same is true of the 15+ year old VHS boxset my family has sitting around the house. All of the goofy edits/addenda to the films started with the late-90s special-edition theatrical release and continued with the eventual DVD release. Again, though, this doesn't really have anything to do with this thread (other than the topic of change-happy directors Razz).
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
Zoe wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:
That's the first I've heard of a movie that was just in theatres, go on DVD and then go back to the theatre. It's like 'SW' the "enhanced ED".

It's not unheard of. Both Alien and Blade Runner went on limited theatre runs when they had director's cuts/special editions released.

Oh yeah, that's right! DUH!!! Guess I don't get out enough. Well, whatever version we get at some point won't be what they decide to put out afterwards. We'll, get release 'C' and they'll follow that up with 'C+x grade'.

No kidding. It even happens in games. Look at Kingdom Hearts. Both games got an original release, a "Final Mix" release (which I believe is what we got in R1) and then followed by a "Final Mix+" release. Ridiculous.
Panon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Unholy_Nny wrote:
Clearly doesn't sound as bad as everyone is making it seem.

Of course it isn't, but laugh out loud, Gainax just don't stop milking Evangelion, do they? Moo moo!

(Ignoring the fact Gainax aren't even the ones making the Evangelion movies)
Big Hed

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Hah, what I find funniest is that I finally saw 1.0 in a theater yesterday. While I highly doubt it will see a theatrical re-release here in Singapore (or anywhere else throughout Ocenania, for that matter), I hope v1.01 is what is picked up in R1 -- although there is no reason to assume otherwise, I think.

Anyway, hilarious. Can't keep a good cow down. I wonder what the odds are we will get a 2.01?
Celes

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:11 pm Reply with quote
teh*darkness wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:
Zoe wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:

No kidding. It even happens in games. Look at Kingdom Hearts. Both games got an original release, a "Final Mix" release (which I believe is what we got in R1) and then followed by a "Final Mix+" release. Ridiculous.

No, we didn't get the Final Mix version of either Kingdom Hearts. The Final Mix versions are only made AFTER the R1 ones are put out cause the Final Mix versions have the English tracks and a ton of extras that never reached us.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:26 pm Reply with quote
I think Evangelion has become that cow California keeps running commercials for every ten minutes. Also, is the version they're showing in theaters the same limited edition version coming to dvd this April 24? Or what?
Anime World Order

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Romuska wrote:
Like I've stated before, Eva is the Star Wars of Japan.

I disagree, sir! Clearly the Star Wars of Japan is...the theatrical anime adaptation of Lensman!

prime_pm wrote:
Also, is the version they're showing in theaters the same limited edition version coming to dvd this April 24? Or what?

I imagine that the whole idea is to get the same Japanese fans who plan to buy that DVD to go and see the movie again in theaters since chances are they also saw it in theaters the first time around. Of course, if it were me, I would simply NOT purchase the DVD when it came out since it wasn't "the definitive edition." Kind of like how I still never bought Kill Bill after all these years since they said up-front "well, first we'll release the regular one, and then after that's done we'll release the super deluxe edition!" I hate double-dipping+ on releases.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
prime_pm

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Anime World Order wrote:
Romuska wrote:
Like I've stated before, Eva is the Star Wars of Japan.

I disagree, sir! Clearly the Star Wars of Japan is...the theatrical anime adaptation of Lensman!

prime_pm wrote:
Also, is the version they're showing in theaters the same limited edition version coming to dvd this April 24? Or what?

I imagine that the whole idea is to get the same Japanese fans who plan to buy that DVD to go and see the movie again in theaters since chances are they also saw it in theaters the first time around. Of course, if it were me, I would simply NOT purchase the DVD when it came out since it wasn't "the definitive edition." Kind of like how I still never bought Kill Bill after all these years since they said up-front "well, first we'll release the regular one, and then after that's done we'll release the super deluxe edition!" I hate double-dipping+ on releases.

Or the Grindhouse, in a way.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Not this rerelease / special edition crap again. Even Star Wars wasn't this nitpicky and at least they waited decades to redo scenes. Why no release this damn version as part of the original? What is so special about the changes?

I love Eva like a second religion. (Kinda fitting as it stole its name from my first one. How many fans know the title translates to 'gospel'?) I love the work Anno and others who put a personal touch to the story. I love the meaning behind it. Yet.. I'm pretty damn sick of the milking of the cash cow. I'm sick of special editions, from Eva and from movies in general.
Oronae

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Are you people even reading the article? There won't be a rerelease... well not yet at least.

This IS the DVD version it's just being put back in theatres. 1.01 will be the only version to make it to DVD the original theatrical version will not. This seems to just be a few redrawn scenes and audio tweaks. Y'know like you get between the broadcast version and DVD release of MOST anime. The only thing making this news-worthy is that it's going back to theatres and even then only barely.
ZODDGUTS

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:41 pm Reply with quote
DigimonTamer wrote:
Everyday I am reminded more and more as to just why I hate Gainax as much as I do.

What baffles me even more is that people continue to support this. Eva wasn't even that good to begin with. Escaflowne was the superior deep and psychological mecha series of the era.

Fun fact Gainax isn't even animating this movie but by another studio (Studio Khara) which was founded by Anno. So in this case it's Anno that's milking this franchise right now. I'm sure though Gainax is getting some royalties of this movies but it's all thanks to Anno.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4