• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Mixed Vegetables' Komura Launches Joō-sama no Tamago

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Mixed Vegetables? That has to be a Yakitate!! Japan reference there somewhere.
throughhim413

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 6:35 pm Reply with quote
The translation of the manga's name isn't very good since it's been translated too literally. Tamago in this context is used for its "in-training" or "to be" meaning. It should really be more like "Queen-in-Training" or "Queen To Be", something along those lines.
testorschoice

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 6:51 pm Reply with quote
throughhim413 wrote:
The translation of the manga's name isn't very good since it's been translated too literally. Tamago in this context is used for its "in-training" or "to be" meaning. It should really be more like "Queen-in-Training" or "Queen To Be", something along those lines.

It's a pun meant to be taken both ways: as "egg" and as "training"--and the article mentions both meanings. All of Komura's manga have a food item in their titles: Hybrid Berry, Mix Vegetable, and now Joou-sama no Tamago (Egg).
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 12:30 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

Why? There are tons of manga using cooking as center themes, and Yakitate!! Japan becomes better known in the West only because of its anime adaptation and shōnen-styled gag comedy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 8:37 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

Why? There are tons of manga using cooking as center themes, and Yakitate!! Japan becomes better known in the West only because of its anime adaptation and shōnen-styled gag comedy.

To be honest Dormcat, I only really wrote that sentence to make someone laugh. Though you've have to admit, mixed vegtables is an odd company name.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1