• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Clannad After Story TV Sequel to be Announced

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crilix

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:44 pm Reply with quote
It's not. After Story is still part of the CLANNAD game, while Tomoyo After is a spin-off eroge.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Now all we need is an R1 license announcement, preferably from ADV, and the circle of anime life will be complete. They need Clannad to go along with AIR and Kanon.)

I definitely agree there - hope it's not too long that ADV announces a license. I am really quite excited about news of After Story being animated. I'm obsessed with this series and looking forward to more.
W-General

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Noooo....I was hoping that this wasn't going to get animated. Now we'll have to put up with more so-called "tear-jerkers" from the cursed Maeda Jun.

Anime cry

Nagisa and Tomoyo After never existed! Evil or Very Mad
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:08 pm Reply with quote
tasogarenootome wrote:
What kind of extras do the LEs have?

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/shirobane/ClannadDVD1LE
http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/shirobane/ClannadLEDVD02
http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/shirobane/ClannadLEDVD03
http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/shirobane/ClannadDVD04LE

Easily the best packaging and extras of all the R2 Kyoani series I have thus far (AIR, Kanon, Haruhi),
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Enerccio

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Oh my god. Hell no! Clannad was such a bad anime and now even sequel. Epic fail orz
Leebo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Enerccio wrote:
Oh my god. Hell no! Clannad was such a bad anime and now even sequel. Epic fail orz

It pretty much goes without saying that since no one is making you watch them, your life is entirely unaffected by the existence of both the original and its sequel. Rest easy.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Why, Kyo Ani? Why do you keep doing these things? Where's the after it's done sequel to FMP TSR?
Forget Haruhi, I want my Third Raid / Fummofu 2!
Furudanuki

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:46 pm Reply with quote
I'm frankly amused that there was any significant level of doubt out there about the After Story being animated. The only question I had from the date the Clannad anime was announced was if the two arcs would be presented back-to-back or with something else sandwiched in between.

Conan-san wrote:
Why, Kyo Ani? Why do you keep doing these things? Where's the after it's done sequel to FMP TSR?
Forget Haruhi, I want my Third Raid / Fummofu 2!

Because they are highly unlikely to consider doing another FMP until Shoji Gatoh wraps things up with the novels. That has been a pretty clear "unofficial answer" for quite some time now. And that since there has been no release date announced (last I checked) for the next, and supposedly "final", novel, the odds of that happening anytime real soon are rather slim. And as much as it may stick in some people's craws, right now KyoAni has other properties are a lot hotter where it counts.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
tasogarenootome wrote:
What kind of extras do the LEs have?

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/shirobane/ClannadLEDVD03

That Fuko poster(is it a poster?) is epic win. I want.
Akari-chan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:08 am Reply with quote
I am really excited about this! I really love Clannad and I am looking forward to seeing more of one of my favorite series. Now that I have seen all of the first season of Clannad excluding the bonus episodes I hope that ADV announces a license for it soon. I would really love to own Clannad and put it on the shelf next to Air and Kanon. I really love KyoAni's work and I would love to own more of it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Westlo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:32 am Reply with quote
Furudanuki wrote:
Because they are highly unlikely to consider doing another FMP until Shoji Gatoh wraps things up with the novels. That has been a pretty clear "unofficial answer" for quite some time now. And that since there has been no release date announced (last I checked) for the next, and supposedly "final", novel, the odds of that happening anytime real soon are rather slim. And as much as it may stick in some people's craws, right now KyoAni has other properties are a lot hotter where it counts.

FMP is getting to the stage where they will need 50-52 episodes to wrap things up, I haven't read or spoilt myself on the novels but is there seriously not another ending similar to TSR they can use? Or is there 10 novels in a row with cliffhanger endings :roll: Also they easily have enough material to do another Fumoffu style series from the side story novels...

Last edited by Westlo on Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:06 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
That Fuko poster(is it a poster?) is epic win. I want.

If you mean the Final Hitode Tsukai thing it was an insert in the DVD booklet, I believe it is supposed to be a fake promotional flyer.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Furudanuki

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:03 am Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:
FMP is getting to the stage where they will need 50-52 episodes to wrap things up, I haven't read or spoilt myself on the novels but is there seriously not another ending similar to TSR they can use? Or is there 10 novels in a row with cliffhanger endings Rolling Eyes Also they easily have enough material to do another Fumoffu style series from the side story novels...

This is 100% speculation on my part. But since Kyoto Animation currently seems committed to the "one thing at a time" approach, I cannot see them devoting more than two cours to another FMP project. They aren't going to be able to include every single event and plot thread from the novels in the anime. Given that, knowing the ending is vital for the anime planners so that they know what material from the novels must be used to craft a cohesive storyline that steadily moves toward that objective. Otherwise the result would be yet another series with a "non-ending", or one where the storyline is rushed or whipsaws all over the place as the writers try to cover all of the bases at once. It's much the same as why the Tom Bombadil story was not included in "The Lord of the Rings" movie trilogy: while it was in the book, it simply was not necessary to advance the story as presented in the movie.

They should have enough material for another Fumoffu, but since they haven't done anything with it I have to assume one or more of the following: Low demand for it in Japan; Some demand, but current projects are much more profitable; Shoji Gatoh is not keen on the idea; Someone at Kyoto Animation is not keen on the idea; They want to wrap up the more serious material first; Contractual / scheduling issues of some sort.
Westlo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:16 am Reply with quote
It would be interesting if Gonzo ended up doing another 24 episode FMP series while KyoAni eventually do the last one (not counting any Fumofuu style series). I didn't think that would ever happen since Shoji Gatoh has a good relationship with KyoAni but than I saw this a week ago when Gonzo announced that streaming deal.

The Tower of Druaga: the Aegis of Uruk by Gonzo
Series Composition: Shoji Gatoh
Screenplay: Shoji Gatoh

Obviously the animation quality will be nowhere near as good as The Second Raid but as long as Shoji Gatoh can do the series composition/screenplay than I doubt it will turn out like the first series.

Speaking as an FMP fan I'll take a Gonzo series (24 eps) + KyoAni series (24 eps) over one KyoAni 24 ep series that skips a lot of stuff.

Btw I think Fumoffu was a bigger seller on DVD in Japan than TSR, IIRC the highest selling TSR DVD was the Tessa OVA... by a big margin.

EDIT

Here's the dvd sales

Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid *4,833 (7, not including Preview, OVA, and DVD-BOX) (Kyoto Animation/Kadokawa Pictures USA)

2006/05/26 11,035 OVA Limited Edition

So yeah an avg of 4.8k compared to 11k for the ova.

Also the average for Fumoffu

Full Metal Panic!? Fumoffu *8,601
Furudanuki

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:45 am Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:
It would be interesting if Gonzo ended up doing another 24 episode FMP series while KyoAni eventually do the last one (not counting any Fumofuu style series).....

I'd personally love to see another Fumofuu series. Given it's episodic nature Fumofuu doesn't require nearly the same level of planning and front-end work to ramp up as the main FMP storyline would, which actually works in its favor. I'll be stunned if KyoAni does anything else until Haruhi II and Clannad After Story are in the can, but a 1 cour Fumofuu sequel would work nicely as padding between those two and whatever big project KyoAni elects to do next.

Edit - I should add that my record of predicting in advance what Kyoto Animation will do next is almost flawless: I've been wrong nearly every single time. Razz Only exception - Clannad After Story.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3