• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Welcome to the NHK DVD 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:25 am Reply with quote
"Uncomfortable to watch, but not in a bad way" is how I would most simply describe this volume. Even moreso than in earlier volumes, the content here gets almost painfully edgy in its portrayal of dysfunction, rather than playing it up for pure humor (as anime and even live-action shows normally do). Watching it holds the same kind of awful fascination as rubbernecking at an accident scene, and yet it is becoming increasingly hard not to root for all of these characters - even Yamazaki - to overcome their prorblems.

I just wish they didn't totally give the suicide angle away in the Next Episode preview for episode 12. It would have been more fun piecing that together on my own. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
belisarius

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
"Uncomfortable to watch, but not in a bad way"

Or, as I observed to a friend of mine, it's funny until you realize it could be you.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:33 pm Reply with quote
I've been renting out the NHK disc through Netflix, and it sounds like this next volume has more of what makes the show so interesting and entertaining to me in the first place. I'm not sure exactly why, but I love watching shows with really, really flawed characters and watching them unravel.

Actually, at this point I'm almost tempted to forget about renting out the series on Netflix altogether and using the ADV sale to buy the volumes for myself.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Hunter Sopko

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Is it just me, or does each cover ADV makes for the series increasingly more fanservicey and hideous?

They clearly modified that picture, to the point where it looks like she's reeling from being shot rather than frolicking.
Paludis

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Hunter Sopko wrote:
Is it just me, or does each cover ADV makes for the series increasingly more fanservicey and hideous?

They clearly modified that picture, to the point where it looks like she's reeling from being shot rather than frolicking.

looks like they just copied it from this, although it does look slightly less weird when you can see her whole arm.
Hunter Sopko

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:12 pm Reply with quote
I stand corrected, but it still doesn't look any less awkward.
daedelus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:57 am Reply with quote
The Frys near me had 1 copy of this volume so I snatched it up(finally!). During the "off" party episode, I couldn't help but think of that episode from Paranoia Agent.

I'm dying to find out more about Misaki. What was her original motivation for helping Sato? Is Misaki a contortionist(as evidenced by the DVD cover)? Smile

Tune in next volume to (maybe) find out!
Max power

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Hunter Sopko wrote:

The cover art for this series is a major drawback for me. I'm a fan of the show, but my girlfriend might think I'm some sort of perv if I buy the DVD's. For every person who wont buy the DVD's because it's "pervy", there are three people who buy it for the same reason...
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:20 pm Reply with quote
I think the covers are so bad that it's actually hilarious. I can't wait to go into a store and buy them, just to see what type of look I get.
Seif

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:44 pm Reply with quote
That's because you're a chick... :p
daedelus

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:32 am Reply with quote
Well, in all of my experiences buying anime, the majority of the time the clerk is in a hurry. They turn over the DVD case to reveal the UPC so they can scan it and rarely give the front a glance. On the rare occasion that one of them does notice, I usually get a question like, "How is this show?" or even," I'm watching this too. Isn't it good?"

Besides, it's not like Misaki is naked. I guess I stopped caring a long time ago.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:54 am Reply with quote
I just got through watching my copy which took an extra week to arrive. Did anyone else recognize the video game that the kid is playing on the fourth episode on this DVD? spoiler[It is Lemmings where the goal is to prevent the Lemmings from committing suicide]

I really wish ADV would include liner notes since they usually are pretty good at doing so and this series (much like Excel or Cromartie) seems to have a good amount of odd references. I also just finished Funimation's School Rumble 5 and am still chuckling at the Quatro/100 Shiki reference that some might have missed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1