• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Worst case of censorship in an anime dub?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MMORPGAL

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Nothing can bring down the quality of a good anime like censorship to make a product boring and completely unrelateable. What would you say is a case of censorship that has completely and utterly infuriated you. For me it would be the huge amouts of cencorship in the Yu-Gi-Oh series, for example the invisble guns (which is confusing to me because Batman the Animated series got away with showing real guns well before Yu Gi Oh came to the U. S.) I am highly curious on what you feel on this subject in general and any and all sucgestions are greatly appreciated.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:21 pm Reply with quote
I'd have to say that all the bats and bears in the Japanese dub of Rosario + Vampire Capu2 were a case of censorship so bad that it took away the main reason for watching the series.
EricDent

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:22 pm Reply with quote
I would guess that those are taken out on the TV version. In the DVD version (whichis uncut) I am sure that they would be there. Of course not too many people bought the uncut season DVDs...

As far as Batman goes, it would be pretty hard to show Batman without somebody pointing a gun at him.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:36 pm Reply with quote
4Kids has a bad enough reputation from many anime fans for their heavy edits to any anime titles they acquire. Mainly, their target audience with their titles are children and as such, they normally make alterations to either edit questionable content or Americanize any cultural references. Besides Yu-gi-oh, their edits of One Piece got enough fans of the series furious at them. Fortunately, Funimation rustled away the licensing rights to that series from 4Kids and as we speak, the earlier episodes of the series are being re-dubbed.

But otherwise, all other American distributors of anime don't suffer from this problem nowadays. With anime becoming more popular, there's a greater demand by fans for authenticity of their favorite titles. In other words, keeping the original content of the original Japanese version as intact as possible. Distributors like Funimation, Bandai, and Viz keep close tabs on what we anime fans desire for in quality of product and the titles we wish to see come to the states.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Yu-Gi-Oh was a pretty bad case of censorship gone crazy. Everything about that show was changed just so that it could be aired as a kids show.
Aslo, if I remember right, Gundam Wing had some obvious censorship. I think I remember seeing some stuff get cut and edited from Gundam Wing back when it was being aired on toonami. It wasn't to much though. (correct me if I'm wrong about all of this. It was a while ago when so I don't quite remember everything.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Yeah but it got shown on the midnight run uncut so it wasn't so bad.

But One Piece was bad. Do I need to remind everyone of the theme song lyrics...I didn't think so.
Also Tokyo Mew Mew was pretty bad. I don't think as many people noticed though because not as may people watched the japanese version but it was still really bad. Though the original theme song was pretty bad so the 4kids version didn't make that too much worse.
Yu-Gi-Oh was pretty bad too. So was Shaman King. Even Magical Doremi had a bad dub and that was pretty innocent in the first place.

Oh and how about the dub they did of the first episode of Eva on toonami. I mean I was 10 years old and hadn't seen the original version yet but that was bad.
Rurouni Kenshin wasn't so great either. But things are better now. In 2001 Naruto would have been chopped to pieces and they would have had Sasuke traveling abroad with his parents (who would of course be alive but unseen)
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:26 pm Reply with quote
The worst case I've heard of concerning censorship in an anime title had to come from New World Pictures version of Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind in 1985 called Warriors of the Wind. The plot for it was radically altered and scenes considered 'slow moving' were cut from the movie. Even the character voice actors were unaware of the butchering to the film. This got Hayao Miyazaki quite furious as he doesn't want anyone to acknowledge the existence of Warriors of the Wind to this day and even has a 'no edits' clause as one of the conditions for Disney to distribute any of Studio Ghibli's works from the Disney-Tokuma Deal.
TheVok

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I was going to say Nausicaa ... not necessarily a case of censorship, but apparently it got cut down from 116 minutes to just 84 minutes!

Still, I'm glad I saw Warriors of the Wind as a child because it stuck with me and later I sought out the full film ....
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:02 pm Reply with quote
TheVok wrote:
Yeah, I was going to say Nausicaa ... not necessarily a case of censorship, but apparently it got cut down from 116 minutes to just 84 minutes!

Still, I'm glad I saw Warriors of the Wind as a child because it stuck with me and later I sought out the full film ....

I meant it as the biggest case I've heard because even the original creator of the movie reacted to the heavily edited version. All other cases I've heard about concerning censorship in anime only involved the fanbase.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:16 am Reply with quote
One Piece by 4Kids is the king, because they objectively did ruin the series beyond repair. By removing several arcs that had characters that would feature prominently in future arcs (spoiler[one of said characters being VERY important to a future Strawhat's backstory and motivation]), it was doomed. Sure, some animes might have been butchered all the way through, but with One Piece, 4Kids wouldn't have been able to even finish it (not that we would complain about such a thing, really).
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:19 am Reply with quote
zanarkand princess wrote:
Yeah but it got shown on the midnight run uncut so it wasn't so bad.

But One Piece was bad. Do I need to remind everyone of the theme song lyrics...I didn't think so.
Also Tokyo Mew Mew was pretty bad. I don't think as many people noticed though because not as may people watched the japanese version but it was still really bad. Though the original theme song was pretty bad so the 4kids version didn't make that too much worse.
Yu-Gi-Oh was pretty bad too. So was Shaman King. Even Magical Doremi had a bad dub and that was pretty innocent in the first place.

Oh and how about the dub they did of the first episode of Eva on toonami. I mean I was 10 years old and hadn't seen the original version yet but that was bad.
Rurouni Kenshin wasn't so great either. But things are better now. In 2001 Naruto would have been chopped to pieces and they would have had Sasuke traveling abroad with his parents (who would of course be alive but unseen)

Dear God, I didn't know a Toonami-fied version existed. How BAD was the kid-safe redub? Is it on (that video site) for the sake of posterity? Now I REALLY wanna see that. Anime hyper
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:20 am Reply with quote
Mmm... Should I do it now, or wait. Ponder, ponder... Well, I suppose I can give you guys the benefit of the doubt for now. But be warned, the minute I start seeing flames, directed either each other or the R1 industry, I'm calling the mods on you all.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:43 am Reply with quote
I have very little experience with heavily edited dubs, actually, but I remembe reading a review on this very sight for a dub of a anime series involving a young Lion. I can't remember the name, I only caught it through the "random fun" link ANN has.

The premise was similiar to the Lion King, very similiar, though it actually predated the Lion King a bit. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

EDIT: Found it! The New Adventures of Kimba the White Lion

Wonder who wrote the review? But I love some of the lines from it:

"It was as if someone put a 15-year-old kid in the room, showed him how to edit, left the room to grab a beer, and slapped the result on tape without looking at it."
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:13 am Reply with quote
BellosTheMighty wrote:
Mmm... Should I do it now, or wait. Ponder, ponder... Well, I suppose I can give you guys the benefit of the doubt for now. But be warned, the minute I start seeing flames, directed either each other or the R1 industry, I'm calling the mods on you all.
Please do. In fact I had half a mind to lock this thread from the start, because the whole topic is really passé and outdated. I mean, how much censorship even goes on these days? People never get tired of complaining about 4kids, but what have they done for to us lately? Sure some shows get slightly edited on TV, but how many of those get the Sailor Moon / Cardcaptors / Yugioh! treatment of only the edited dubs being released with no uncensored/Japanese version available? None of them, aside from Pokemon, Yugioh #whatever, and whatever else the increasingly anime-averse 4Kids is doing. In fact at this point censorship/editing has become like the sub/dub debate: relevant 10 years ago, inconsequential 5 years ago, and virtually irrelevant today.

So what's the problem with it, you ask? It just dredges up the wounds of the past and reinforces the industry-damaging false syllogism of "Dubs = censored, R1 releases = dubs, therefore R1 releases = censored, MUST GET FANSUBS (which ironically are usually based on the censored/unfinished Japanese TV versions)"

So yes, as Bellos suggests, keep it clean.
MMORPGAL

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:11 am Reply with quote
That is somewhat horrifying that a Toonami Eva existed at some point in time, they must of had to edit the H!?l out of that. I have just always found it infuriating how in shows like Batman the animated series had Batgirl fall from a very tall building directly on to the windshield of a cop car with her own father in it (episode titled Over the Edge) but small things like firearms and death aren't okay. I wish creators of these series had more say in how there intellectual property is treated so they can stop this kind of needless censorship.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5