• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Dub or sub?

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sj21

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:37 pm Reply with quote
What do you think? Do you like anime dubbed or subbed. I think that this topic is a hard one. In the end for me though i choose... dub. I watch subs alot on the web, but i hate in anime like gundam where they have poolitical episodes with lots of talking. its hard to follow along.

But then with dub its super annoying when you get an accent. Big with Dragonball Z.. texas accent. no offense to people with accents, i have a new york accent so were even. So what do you perfer.
ShadowCloud62

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:15 pm Reply with quote
It depends on if the production company did a good job with the dub.

Me, I prefer both. The Inuyasha dub sucks to all high Heavens, but the sub is much better. However, I do prefer Fullmetal Alchemist dub to the sub.

Whichever works, I guess.

(BTW, I have a New York accent meself) ^^
MokonaModoki

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Both.

I have no problem either way, and when watching rented DVDs I often switch languages between episodes just to be able to say I saw/heard both. With DVDs I own, I do watch both.

This began from a desire to have an informed opinion about which was actually better, but what I learned was that the answer was generally neither. Sometimes I prefer one to the other, but I usually don't. If there's a setting or context that recommends one over the other I'll sometimes go with that.

On the other hand, there's always Gatekeepers. I started it in English and really hated it, so I switched to Japanese. It was worse. I bought it as a brickset and have 4 volumes still in shrink-wrap.
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
No offense to people with accents.....

Uh.... You're talking to the whole world, buddy.

ShadowCloud62 wrote:
Me, I prefer both. The Inuyasha dub sucks to all high Heavens, but the sub is much better. However, I do prefer Fullmetal Alchemist dub to the sub.

Interesting. I actually think the English dub for Inuyasha is really good. I like the Japanese too, so it's a series I can watch both ways.
Celes

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Dub. The technical reason is because I get headaches reading the subtitles for some reason, although if a sub is highly recommended to me, I will of course watch it. The lesser reason is because I feel like I am paying too much attention to what I'm reading and that it takes away from me actually watching what is going on. I guess my last reason is simply that I grew up on dubs and it's kinda hardwired into my brain now Anime smile Generally I won't buy an anime if I know it is coming out sub-only, unless it was something I really, really was anticipating.
FLMikeATT

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Subs. There are only a few series that don't make me cringe when I hear the dub. The sub is almost always better. Like someone said above, it does get tiring on the eyes though. You just gotta tough it out.
BladeDragoonZETA

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:00 pm Reply with quote
dub, I like to relax when I watch anime and that's hard to do when I',m reading subtitles
Master Lee

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:03 pm Reply with quote
I'm totally neutral in this, I like subs and dubs.

I love when anime has high quality subs, and since I remember things that I read better than things I heard I can really get into the story. Sadly, I'm a really slow reader so I often miss things going on visually or have to constantly jump back a bit. (My dvd player tends to dislike that "jump back a bit" part.)

However since I'm a huge fan of Mystery Science Theater 3000, I also love when the subs are done horribly. Poor translations and grammar can make even the most serious and involved anime into comedy gold.

When a dubbing is done great, I also love it. I can pay close attention to the visuals in the anime while still following the story. I also tend to watch dubs when I'm going to eat and want something to watch. (Stuffing my face while trying to read subtitles just isn't my specialty.)

In the case of a horrible dubbing... I once again love it. When the wrong voice ends up on the right character, I can't help but smile. (Mystery Science Theather 3000 has a lot to do with my enjoyment of this as well.)

Good, bad, sub, dub... any combination works for me. I'm a pretty easy fan to please. Very Happy
MokonaModoki

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Celes wrote:
The lesser reason is because I feel like I am paying too much attention to what I'm reading and that it takes away from me actually watching what is going on.

Hehehe... dubs let me eat while I watch. Dinnertime viewing requires dub.

Quote:
I guess my last reason is simply that I grew up on dubs and it's kinda hardwired into my brain now Anime smile

Ahhh... yes. That may be why I can do both so easily. I watched a lot of Japanese cinema subbed during a period when I was watching anime exclusively dubbed on TV or VHS.

Consequently cartoons in Japanese held little "OMG! Awesomesauce!" for me later when dual-audio DVDs came out for them. Having seen both really good and really awful Japanese acting, anime voice acting didn't have much left to impress me with itself.

Quote:
Generally I won't buy an anime if I know it is coming out sub-only, unless it was something I really, really was anticipating.

* Glares menacingly at Victorian Romance Emma *

(directed at no one): I pretty much got over the whole "I'm cool because I watch stuff in languages I don't know" vibe sometime around 1987 anyway (the language in question at the time having been French). The assumptions of a lot of anime fans now though completely blows away my best efforts to wear my ass as a hat back then though.

Thank you Internet!
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Subs,for about 22 years.It opens more doors into the Anime world and offers a much bigger selection to choose from.Dubs aren't really mastered yet but have progressed.I can speed read like all hell without missing the action,thanks to subs.Plus I just prefer the Japanese culture.
countchocula86

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:16 pm Reply with quote
If I had it my way, I would watch dubs and they would be perfectly acted and the translation would be immaculate.

Barring that, its kinda dependent what I get to first. If I see the original version with subs, I get accustomed to voices, and any new dub voice no matter how good just sounds weird. At the same time, if I start with the dub, then it feels odd listening to the original.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:19 pm Reply with quote
I'm a dub fan myself, but not strictly so. If there's something I want to watch that is sub only then I'll watch the sub. If there's a dub that is just done poorly I'll switch to the sub (I'm looking at you Fantastic Children and Crest/Banner of the Stars).

Ultimately I prefer the dubs because they are still generally true to the story (with modern dubs anyways). I also fully understand English and all the subtleties of the spoken language, so it makes the experience more immersive for me when I hear it in my native tongue. Also, a lot of the time subs seem too robotic and direct in how they translate, where as dubs usually feel more natural.

It's entirely subjective of course, and no one answer is superior to the other in my opinion. It's all a matter of preference and everyone has their reasons for preferring it the way they do. I actually was a sub purist back in the olden days of anime, before DVDs came out and before anime had its surge in popularity. This was more out of necessity though at that time as dubs then were absolutely awful for the most part. They've improved tremendously since then, and I gave them a shot and found I enjoyed a good dub more than a good sub.

Now do keep in mind guys that this is all up to a persons individual tastes, so let's keep from flaming or attacking others for their preferences. I'm not saying it has happened yet, because so far it hasn't, but it almost always does inevitably occur with these threads. This is just a preemptive measure on my part.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sanosuke32

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:24 pm Reply with quote
I usually prefer dub, not because I'm lazy and don't like to read, but I am always doing homework cause my course is hard so I like to relax while doing homework and watch anime, and I can't exactly read them both. I used to always watch subs up to a few years ago, now i mostly watch things dubbed. Unless a series has really bad dubbing (blood+ was pushing it, i like saya and hagi and a few others, but some were horrible) then I'll switch over to the subs and watch it in my free time.
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
Now do keep in mind guys that this is all up to a persons individual tastes, so let's keep from flaming or attacking others for their preferences. I'm not saying it has happened yet, because so far it hasn't, but it almost always does inevitably occur with these threads. This is just a preemptive measure on my part.

I believe that happened a couple years back in the "Dubs vs. Subs" thread.

Anyhow to stay on topic (though this has been done to death) I really have no preference. Its Anime and I enjoy it no matter what. I'll sit through a bad dub merely for the purpose of finishing the Anime. However when watching Anime on the big screen tv at home I prefer Dub. When watching anime on my computer then obviously sub.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
I'm a dub fan myself, but not strictly so. If there's something I want to watch that is sub only then I'll watch the sub. If there's a dub that is just done poorly I'll switch to the sub (I'm looking at you Fantastic Children and Crest/Banner of the Stars).

Ultimately I prefer the dubs because they are still generally true to the story (with modern dubs anyways). I also fully understand English and all the subtleties of the spoken language, so it makes the experience more immersive for me when I hear it in my native tongue. Also, a lot of the time subs seem too robotic and direct in how they translate, where as dubs usually feel more natural.

You have pretty much described me(I also agree with what you said about Crest/Banner of the Stars dub). Also I usually prefer what I hear first. While I think the dubs for Bleach and The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya are admirable, I got so attached to the Japanese voices that I immensely prefer them that way. At the same time I've heard the dubs for Full Metal Panic and Howl's Moving Castle first and prefer them them that way. Not that I think the acting is any higher quality than the Japanese (I can't always tell acting quality in Japanese), I just like the voices better.

When watching anime with my friends I pretty much have to watch dub since none of them watch things in other languages (my roommate and I had no choice with Pans Labyrinth though). And if I hear that the dub script is significantly changed from the Japanese version, I'll probably watch the Japanese first and then dubbed later.

Last edited by Veoryn87 on Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 20