• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Dub or sub?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Vuwazy wrote:
To add to what I don't like about the voice acting in the Funi dub is how the actors do when they perform a character screaming. They aren't good at it. Certain times it would be unpleasant to listen to or foul. People take shots at the show for the grunting and I bet anything that it's the exposure to the dub.

Haha, nah, I assure you that my shots at the show for this take both the sub and the dub in to account.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 12:51 am Reply with quote
I'm still trying to figure out how anyone can stand to look at DBZ for more than a minute or two straight, no matter what language it's in. Different strokes, I guess. Razz
Vuwazy

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 4:14 am Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
Haha, nah, I assure you that my shots at the show for this take both the sub and the dub in to account.

Not pointing at anyone in particular here. I'm saying this from the encounter I make in other various places. Have you seen the two versions and how different they do at performing those kind of scenes? There are results that can turn good or bad. The dub makes me look at it filthy.

Top Gun wrote:
I'm still trying to figure out how anyone can stand to look at DBZ for more than a minute or two straight, no matter what language it's in. Different strokes, I guess. Razz

Maybe it's something you can't see Razz .
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 8:28 am Reply with quote
I have no choice when watching DBZ with my roommates, which is about the only time I'm compelled to watch it. I pretty much have to watch it in English. They don't watch things subtitled unless it's the only option.
Masayume

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 11:55 pm Reply with quote
TsC_BaTToSai wrote:
hmm, well I felt like if I had stayed in Japan for another semester, I could've become very, very good. I left just as everything was starting to really click.

Also, tell me if you have had this experience: You drink a bit, and your Japanese gets much better. This happens to me everytime. For some reason, when I get a little tipsy my Japanese becomes much less halting, I speak it without hesitation. Don't say "maybe you just *think" you are speaking it better because my friends all told me, "wow, you need to drink before your japanese exams" lol. Now if I drink too much, I lose it completely and can't speak japanese OR english

Drinking just helps you loosen up. I found that when I stop THINKING so hard its a lot easier to speak Japanese. When you make yourself think too much you sound all choppy and un-natural. My teachers have complimented me a lot over the years for this. Even though I make mistakes I still let myself go with the flow and try to let it come naturally. It makes conversing so much easier and makes talking to you seem less of a chore lol.
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 1:15 am Reply with quote
Masayume wrote:
Hyuga makes a great point, and like I've always said it's different for everyone. I've only been to Japan twice, the first time was a 6 week homestay in Kanagawa-ken, Hiratsuka-shi. The second was this past fall I was there for school studying three months in Tokyo. Each time I made every effort to not use English and I often put myself out there to have conversations with people. My host mom was great support for that seeing as she knew so many people.

Host families rule. Smile Especially if they have an accent unique to their district. Smile

Masayume wrote:
The only way to TRULY test your level of Japanese is to take the Nouryokushiken (The Japanese Proficiency Exam) which is a test you pay for to take in several areas in the US at certain times and they rank your Japanese, level 1 being the highest and most fluent. I know I need to get around to taking that before anybody hires me :/

I've heard about it, and I've got some practice questions from past years (even spoken to my Japanese sensei about it).

Apparently, Levels 2 and 1 focus on the kanji more than anything else. In other words, if you can pass the Level 3 proficiency test, you don't have much more to learn in terms of idioms, vocab or grammatical functions. They probably won't test extremely technical terms.
Masayume

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 9:28 am Reply with quote
HyugaHinata wrote:
I've heard about it, and I've got some practice questions from past years (even spoken to my Japanese sensei about it).

Apparently, Levels 2 and 1 focus on the kanji more than anything else. In other words, if you can pass the Level 3 proficiency test, you don't have much more to learn in terms of idioms, vocab or grammatical functions. They probably won't test extremely technical terms.

I've looked into a few sites and one offers a vocab list for each level which the amount of verbs you should know between Level 3 and Level 2 is pretty amazing. But I'm hoping to take the test this year and pass Level 2. I've never actually inventoried all the kanji I know but I think kanji is fun so I'm not too concerned. I just plan to study my butt off between here and the test. I'm confident in my skills but I always choke on tests regardless.

As far as I know the only official reason you need to have Level 1 status is to become an actual Japanese citizen.
TEEN TITAN

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 1:24 pm Reply with quote
if you're gonna watch anime in any language but the original one, you might as well mute the sound altogether in my opinion. dubs are horrible. they could replace the voice actors with microsoft sam and no one would notice the difference. there's absolutely no feeling.

not only that, but most puns, jokes and references are completely destroyed when translated.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 1:30 pm Reply with quote
TEEN TITAN wrote:
if you're gonna watch anime in any language but the original one, you might as well mute the sound altogether in my opinion. dubs are horrible. they could replace the voice actors with microsoft sam and no one would notice the difference. there's absolutely no feeling.

not only that, but most puns, jokes and references are completely destroyed when translated.

Thank you, TEEN TITAN, for your informative and unbiased look at the issue. Rolling Eyes

If you're going to open your mouth, (or use your keyboard,) please add something new and/or informative to the discussion...

Oh, and WELCOME TO THE FORUMS! Wink
TheVok

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 4:27 pm Reply with quote
fokkusuhaundo wrote:
TheVok wrote:
fokkusuhaundo wrote:
would the Japanese voice-acting still be considered the show's original language?

Yes. Just as with the live-action movie 'Memoirs of a Geisha,' the production's original language was English. The fact its characters were Japanese (and in some cases played by Japanese actors) had little bearing given it was an American movie produced in English.

That makes sense, 'Memoirs is a Geisha' was intended for an English speaking audience which is why they took liberties in hiring actors that weren't Japanese, but I don't think it's a stretch to say that Black Lagoon was made with the American audience somewhere in the back of the minds of the creators, especially with Geneon helping to produce the show and license it for R1. Original language or not it doesn't help hearing Japanese voice actors attempt to speak English.

Yes, I'd say it is a stretch to suggest 'Black Lagoon' was produced with any real thought to the American market ... but even if it had, that wouldn't put its American presence (intended or accident) anywhere near the level of the big splashy Japanese premiere that 'Memoirs of a Geisha' received.
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Masayume wrote:
I've looked into a few sites and one offers a vocab list for each level which the amount of verbs you should know between Level 3 and Level 2 is pretty amazing. But I'm hoping to take the test this year and pass Level 2. I've never actually inventoried all the kanji I know but I think kanji is fun so I'm not too concerned. I just plan to study my butt off between here and the test. I'm confident in my skills but I always choke on tests regardless.

Interesting. How many words are you expected to know for level 2?

Kanji is fun? We've got a masochist in our midst! Wink

Masayume wrote:
As far as I know the only official reason you need to have Level 1 status is to become an actual Japanese citizen.

That's evil. Making people learn kanji just to be a citizen. Evil or Very Mad It's not like native speakers remember all 2000.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 5:39 pm Reply with quote
HyugaHinata wrote:

That's evil. Making people learn kanji just to be a citizen. Evil or Very Mad It's not like native speakers remember all 2000.
No more evil than having to at least learn to read and write level 1 English in order to become a British citizen. What's the point of becoming a citizen of a country if you aren't willing to learn the language needed to live and work successfully there?
Masayume

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 7:19 pm Reply with quote
HyugaHinata wrote:
Interesting. How many words are you expected to know for level 2?

Kanji is fun? We've got a masochist in our midst! Wink

God I didn't exactly count but there was something like... 50 some odd pages with at least 20 verbs per page?

Not so much a masochist as I just want to be able to read. Don't ask me why I enjoy learning kanji but I just do somehow.

As mentioned by the person above me it may seem evil, but even if native speakers don't remember every single character perfectly it's still important to have that kind of knowledge especially if you want to be a citizen. Besides, after you've been there long enough to allow you to start looking into being a citizen I would hope you'd know a rather large amount of kanji.
Key

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
No more evil than having to at least learn to read and write level 1 English in order to become a British citizen. What's the point of becoming a citizen of a country if you aren't willing to learn the language needed to live and work successfully there?

That's actually one big piece of the immigration issue here in the U.S. involving Hispanics. Some think that dual-language services available in many areas only encourages them not to bother to learn English. It's a particularly big issue in schools, and pops up in places you wouldn't expect. (For instance, one school district in a comparatively small town in Northern Indiana, near where I grew up, now is something like 25% Hispanic, and a lot of them don't speak much English.)

The U.S. has no language requirement for becoming a citizen, and never has, though some now think we should. Fortunately there are no languages requirements here for watching subbed/dubbed anime. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Urd

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
The U.S. has no language requirement for becoming a citizen

So does France. (Or maybe not a Level 1 French lol)

I understand that's a problem for some countries, but I think it'a pity. People have so many things to share, and considering language as a barrier is what brings ethnocentrism, whereas language is just a detail.

Last edited by Urd on Sat May 03, 2008 7:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 18 of 20