• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyo Mew Mew Licensed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 2:55 am Reply with quote
Luff-Chan wrote:
I prawled the site of 4Kids and couldn't find anyway to send an e-mail to their e-mail address. Only a phsyical address to their building in New York.

As Tenchi said, it's better to send a real letter as opposed to an e-mail.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 3:08 am Reply with quote
Great suggestions tenchi. Aparently when they were dubbing CCS, enough fans wrote in so in the end they decided to at least keep Sakura's name. >.< I really want a subbed Mew Mew. I don't want to have to resort to bootleges to get it uncut.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 7:26 am Reply with quote
Maybe we should let ADV come into play, and have them release a uncut dubbed version. They already did that for Saint Seiya.
Chiyosuke

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 9:18 am Reply with quote
Luff-Chan wrote:

I beleive Ultimate Muscle and Ultraman Tiga were released with Subtitles. Thanks to FuniMation more than 4Kids for that release.

Nope just Tiga, anyway I give the name change 2 birds (middle fingers) up. God, I'm starting to believe that 4Kids wants anime fans to hate them (okay who the hell am I kiddin').
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 9:34 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Maybe we should let ADV come into play, and have them release a uncut dubbed version. They already did that for Saint Seiya.

Nelvana allowed ADV to do Saint Seiya. 4kids does their releases through FUNimation.

I've said this before, but I mean, there's a better chance of this being released uncut and subbed simply because there is a potential market for it UNCUT AND SUBBED, unlike Yu Gi Oh and Pokemon.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 10:01 am Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:

Nelvana allowed ADV to do Saint Seiya. 4kids does their releases through FUNimation.

I've said this before, but I mean, there's a better chance of this being released uncut and subbed simply because there is a potential market for it UNCUT AND SUBBED, unlike Yu Gi Oh and Pokemon.

Hehe, I hope so. Of course it's not the first time FUNimation (assuming they'll release the uncut version) released a cute series. Wink
Chiyosuke

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 10:09 am Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:

Actually, DIC let ADV do the dub uncut (as they are the sublicensor)
molloaggie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 10:16 am Reply with quote
I think a name change is okay. However, Hollywood has got to be a horrible choice! Bleh.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 10:18 am Reply with quote
KURIous wrote:
Steventheeunuch wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:

Actually, DIC let ADV do the dub uncut (as they are the sublicensor)

I keep getting Dic and nevala mixed up. Whoopsy
chanman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 10:20 am Reply with quote
Regarding the process of localization, 4Kids CEO Al Kahn stated, "By the time we localize the programs kids don’t even know they’re from Japan any more." The statement was exclusively in reference to children's programming, Kahn stated that he felt that labels such as "Anime" are for adults and mean nothing to children.

That total BS! Anime are for adults that to me is insulting. I know many kids that know what Anime is and are very familiar with the cultures, etc of anime and japan..
Proman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 10:38 am Reply with quote
crazydumbek wrote:
How odd. I was expecting the guy (Asage, I think) with a major hate-on for 4kids to chime in about now. Has he neen banned? You're practically openning the door for his rant with this topic.

Oh, leave Asage alone. He's not the only one who dislikes 4kids, you know? Here's a quote from AnimeOnDVD:

"Having enjoyed the manga myself and then looking forward to a proper bilingual release for the anime since my kids would probably like it, it's disheartening to hear how 4Kids views not only their properties, but the comments made by them about how kids basically don't know their own heads from a hole in the ground are pretty insulting. While my own house may be an exception just due to who we are, there are more kids today who know what anime is than ever before. The dumbing down of another generation continues I guess."

Regarding the process of localization, 4Kids CEO Al Kahn stated, "By the time we localize the programs kids don’t even know they’re from Japan any more." The statement was exclusively in reference to children's programming, Kahn stated that he felt that labels such as "Anime" are for adults and mean nothing to children.
He couldn't come out sounding more ignorant even if he tried.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 11:08 am Reply with quote
Proman wrote:

He couldn't come out sounding more ignorant even if he tried.

"hey, isn't anime that thing with the tentacles and exploding heads?"

I tried. I win.

anyway
Raoh

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 11:23 am Reply with quote
Well, looks like 4Kids has taken another great anime, and shoved it into the ground.

Honestly, someone should STOP them from Liscensing good anime, as it is just making more people angry than its pleasing.

As for that representitives comments regarding kids, I find this to be a half-truth.

While its true alot of kids these days are complete idiots, a good portion know what Anime is, thanks to it being shown on Television on a regular basis, not to mention all the ones that grew up with it (such as myself, and others here).

If this guy honestly thinks people do not know what Anime is, give him a dictionary and tell him to look it up.

Trust me, its IN there. Very Happy
cyrax777

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 11:27 am Reply with quote
theres always the manga.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 11:28 am Reply with quote
Raoh wrote:

Honestly, someone should STOP them from Liscensing good anime, as it is just making more people angry than its pleasing.

I will say that even though it does make a lot of people angry, the demographic they are attempting to draw in probably doesn't care about title changes and crappy dubbing.

Last edited by lianncoop on Mon Feb 02, 2004 1:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5