• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyo Mew Mew Licensed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Izlude

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
orobouros wrote:
As for "Hollywood," off the bat, I can't say why not. Hollywood is to Americans in many respects what Tokyo is for Japanese, so the feel is still there. Is there anything about it that makes it important to be in Tokyo specifically.

Err.. the presence of Tokyo landmarks such as Tokyo Tower, and the complete absense of any Hollywood landmarks are the first that come to mind. I mean, you could possibly get away with Paris Mew Mew..

It should of been titled "Harlem Mew Mew" Twisted Evil
Asaqe

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Ok I am back and not bring disses about 4kids although I am very peeved about the anime being licensed I am going to critise and predict what will the char's personalities be. First of all 4kids is starting prove itself as a promoter of american values this in other words is hidden racism they are wiping off all traces of japanese culture and replacing it with american references and the title proved it. This is bad for anime fans at high school, believe me I am a personal victim there is these anti yugioh factions hell bent on taking us down through theft and intervention. And now the new personalities

Ichigo: has one of those preppy "thats so.." personality
Mint:French accent nuff said
Lettuce: A gloomy always feel depressed personality
Pudding: Acts like a baby
Zakuro: All urban like
Nagisa

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Asaqe wrote:
This is bad for anime fans at high school, believe me I am a personal victim there is these anti yugioh factions hell bent on taking us down through theft and intervention.

Stop. Now. Before I lose my temper with you. You started off on the right foot, do not fall back on this again.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Asaqe

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 9:49 pm Reply with quote
dont worry I wont I stopped playing about a month got sick of it anyway now I am a magic player
Nagisa

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 10:09 pm Reply with quote
You miss my point. You started off actually making a halfway decent point that the name change is a bad idea, but then you started to do what you've always done -- lob every excuse in the book at 4Kids ("OMG ther rassist!") and whine about how you're allegedly picked on because "4Kids gives everyone the wrong idea about the graphic, adult show that is Yu-Gi-Oh." Perhaps if you could actually stick to the issue at hand and not use everything as an opening to spout your "they butchered my precious YGO" rhetoric, people might...I dunno...react in a less hostile manner towards you.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Asaqe

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 1:07 am Reply with quote
Nagaisa lets not have another giangantic argument we all know the results
Suzakuseikun

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 1:21 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
It still doesn't top "Samurai X" for the honour of Worst Americanized Anime Title

Have you not heard Sailormoon's dub? Sorcerer Hunters? Ayashi no Ceres? Those are far worse. Besides, the OAVs had a better dub than the TV series had.

This is just moronic. Now, how about we go back and change all of CLAMP's anime so that they show it being in America. Fuuma and Kamui can have their final climactic battle ontop the Statue of Liberty.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 1:26 am Reply with quote
*is confused* So... since 4kids is racist... you get picked on at school? ... Do you have an Asian background? Why the heck would people attack you at school because you're part of a culture that created some stupid show they didn't like? Dude... you should really have the teachers/police look into that. It's not the 1960s anymore!

And back to the topic:

I don't care what they do to the show in the dub, I just want an uncut version. Dubs, even if they are horribly ripped and mutilated, can still bring in die hard fans. -_- I sadly got into Cardcaptor Sakura through the horrible cardcaptors dub. *Was a rayeath fan before, but like *shudders* cardcaptors better.* Same goes with Sailormoon. Crappy dub or not, it brings in new fans. As long as the original fans and new die hard fans get an original uncut version, there's really no reason to whine.

Sure, of course there is always the ... teasing you may get at school for liking a cartoon that someone's little brother may watch, but there is something you can do, and that is to ignore, and not care what the person thinks.

Suzakuseikun wrote:
Nagisa wrote:
It still doesn't top "Samurai X" for the honour of Worst Americanized Anime Title

Have you not heard Sailormoon's dub? Sorcerer Hunters? Ayashi no Ceres? Those are far worse. Besides, the OAVs had a better dub than the TV series had.

What are you guys talking about? Cardcaptor Sakura had the WORSE dub in the last 15 years of North American anime history! >.> We can do a comparison if everyone would like.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 1:33 am Reply with quote
Suzakuseikun wrote:
Nagisa wrote:

I said title, not overall dub. The butchered Sailor Moon dub was still called Sailor Moon.

And Asaqe, will you actually read my posts? I'm not picking a damned fight with you, I'm trying to give you advice that will help you in future posts here.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 5:07 am Reply with quote
Okay, once again... look at Ursula's Kiss, a concrete example where the name changes were suggested by the *Japanese* licensor.

Even if the name changes were implemented by 4Kids themselves and not Kodansha or TV Tokyo (depending on which 4Kids license we're talking about), the name changes were done simply to make the names of the characters easier to remember for young American children, not because Al Kahn is a racist, card-carrying member of the KKK whom hates the Japanese, as some hypothetical person might have alleged in some other hypothetical forum somewhere. (Also, it's rather unlikely that someone with a rather Jewish surname would be a member of the anti-Jewish Ku Klux Klan, but I digress.)

And America isn't the only country in the world that changes names in children's cartoons to make them easier to remember; in France, Ryo Saeba in City Hunter is Nicky Larson (which is also what they call the show), Kyosuke Kasuga and Madoka Ayukawa on Kimagure Orange Road become "Max" and "Sabrina" on Max et Compagnie., and, on Sailor Moon, while the show retains its title, pretty much everyone's name was changed. And it happens to American cartoons too... in Finland, Donald Duck is Aku Ankka and Finnish fans sometimes get downright indignant if you have the temerity to call him by his English name.

Oh, and by the way:

A couple of kids burning their Yu-Gi-Oh junk =/= the Boston Tea Party.

=/= being the closest thing I could come up with for "does not equal".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Asaqe

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 9:42 am Reply with quote
Although I have no grudge against 4kids and their editing I could care less if they butcher my stuff if they gave us uncut dvds but that is what they are not doing also I got this from a friend

"We have nothing against America...we have something against the idea that 4Kids feels the need to forcefully fit things into "America". But you know what? Riceballs are not doughnuts, okonomiyaki isn't pizza OR pancakes, cram school isn't computer school, and so on and so forth. Japanese culture is just as rich and beautiful as our own, but if you're going to use paper-thin motives like that to justify mutilating an anime, then you shouldn't be translating anime." AmuroNT1

Also 4kids is PROUD of destroying japanese culture as they said that mean any anime they get would have the japanese culture removed completely. But then again I am just posting my opinion so dont go start another argument again ok
Ichigo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 2:20 pm Reply with quote
I am a hard core tokyo mew mew fan, and I have gotten up to ep. 34 from [EDIT - Snip -C]. And I have bought 1-26 on ebay, but have found it impossible to find 35-52 subtitled. I have also been reading the manga and i love it!(I have up to #5).But on another web site I read that 4kids plans to heavly edit the tokyo mew mew anime. Evil or Very Mad And the fact that they are even changing the name,I think that this is going to unfortunaly turn out like "CardCaptors".I am going to write them a letter to ask them if they will make subbed DVD's, and hope that others do to. If not then I will probably sit there watching "hollywood mew mew", cursing at 4kids for what they have done to TOKYO MEW MEW. I really hope that it turns out ok.*crosses her fingers*
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 7:32 pm Reply with quote
You can't find subs for 35+ basically because the group currently subbing Tokyo Mew Mew has only just finished 34.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
rensu

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 12:10 am Reply with quote
Ok...I guess I'm going to throw in my 2 cents....

Ok, so 4kids has Tokyo Mew Mew...

#1 - Hollywood

Simple question...why? Well, it makes slight sense I suppose as far as localization...but I'm against the name change...

Mainly...it's part of their "By the time we localize the programs kids don’t even know they’re from Japan any more." plot...

My compliant about this is...why hide the fact that it's from Japan? If anything...from living in America, I feel that we should be MORE educated and aware of other societies...and this awareness starts at a young age - their exact target audience.

#2 - Editing

Well...I'll bring the quote up again...

Many of you have said that there is no clear evidence of further editing...but think about it...if they're going make it so that kids don't even know that they're from Japan...it seems that all hints of Japan will be removed...somebody mentioned that Tokyo tower appears in the series...this will definitely be removed, along with other references...so the editing is not merely limited to the title...

#3 - 4kids

Let me state first of all that...I am happy that they are bring anime to america...and to kids as well...

My only problem with them is their approach to it. Bringing anime over to America would be better if the kids knew it was from Japan...relating back to the point I made earlier about us needing to be more educated about other cultures. Also...I wouldn't mind their approach as much if they showed evidence of a possible uncut, subbed release...even an uncut dubbed released would be better than nothing....the number one example is the CardCaptors dub...which we all know sucked, but I am a proud owner of a majority of the subbed Card Captor Sakura DVDs...Tokyo Mew Mew has quite a chance over here in it's uncut form, and it really reaches a wider audience with that option.

Just for the record...I'm a 19 year old Male Embarassed But, if a sub were available here, I'd be more than happy to buy it...but I don't know if I'd want to buy it under the name "Hollywood Mew Mew"...I'm just very blah about that one Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 4:00 am Reply with quote
They're aming this at kids, so the transformation sequences will be edited if nothing else is
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5