• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Eden of the East: Paradise Lost Blu-Ray + DVD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:42 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Frankly, if all anime dubs were as polished as this, then people would stop complaining about anime dubs. (Or is that too much to hope for?)

Hear, hear.

Quote:
a version of the movie with visual "pop-up" annotations from director Kamiyama. For those who really want to get into the creative process, these annotations (designed to mimic the augmented-reality system used in Eden of the East) provide genuine insights with a bit of humor as well.

Seriously? I didn't know that was on there.

I was truly surprised at how anti-climactic this last story was, which I don't really mean as a criticism. It was just something that went beyond expectations, but if you were to watch it again or stop to think about it, it still fits and is still true to the story beforehand. By comparison, the TV ending concluded with a literal bang, but if it had stopped there it would've merely just 'stopped' and not 'ended.' Although underwhelming, I agree this movie says what it needs to say, even if it didn't explain everything. For instance, unless I missed something, was there ever an explanation for Akira's visions of those cell phone phantom things?

Looking forward to Kenji Kamiyama's next series; this guy knows how to construct a story.
The American Average

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:05 pm Reply with quote
I love eden of east great show
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:42 pm Reply with quote
pachy_boy wrote:
Quote:
Frankly, if all anime dubs were as polished as this, then people would stop complaining about anime dubs. (Or is that too much to hope for?)

Hear, hear.

Well if all anime dubbing companies and anime voice actors treated all anime projects as serious opportunities to put in an As effort then all anime dubs would be as polished as this.
kazume

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:42 pm Reply with quote
A show that delivers on many fronts while leaving you empty on a few short ones. Overall a great experience of 11 episodes and two movies that you can get anyone into who isn't already an anime fan. (I always use my sister as a sort of 'control group' for shows like this. Whenever a new idea for a show gets thrown out I plop her down in front of the TV and sure enough, she loved every minute of this series.)

I forget where I saw a list of anime series/movies/etc that you would use to get someone into the medium. But if this show doesn't deserve a guaranteed spot, then it at least can be considered a strong contender for that list.
Veers

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:41 pm Reply with quote
This reminds me... I need to actually get around to checking out the movies... but it's been a while since I've seen the show that I'd probably need to rewatch first.

kazume wrote:
I forget where I saw a list of anime series/movies/etc that you would use to get someone into the medium. But if this show doesn't deserve a guaranteed spot, then it at least can be considered a strong contender for that list.
I think the main thing to consider about EotE is that while the concept of a societal leech/bum/etc. is nothing foreign to an English speaking audience, the term NEET, and the extent of that social problem in Japan, will be. So while it's definitely a show that you don't really need to apologize for, a little explanation is probably in order when recommending the show to those who don't watch much anime.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:09 am Reply with quote
Veers wrote:
This reminds me... I need to actually get around to checking out the movies... but it's been a while since I've seen the show that I'd probably need to rewatch first.

I recommend rewatching the series first. I thought I remembered it well enough to just jump into the first movie, only to find out that I had forgotten some of the finer details.
GhostShell

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
Veers wrote:

I recommend rewatching the series first. I thought I remembered it well enough to just jump into the first movie, only to find out that I had forgotten some of the finer details.

Agreed. I rewatched the series and EOTE: The King Of Eden prior to watching EOTE: Paradise Lost and I found I picked up quite a few more details that I'd missed the first time around.

I enjoyed Paradise Lost and found that it wrapped things up pretty well, which oddly to say, was unexpected. For some reason, I had it in my head that there were three movies after the series, so I wasn't expecting things to conclude. When plot lines started coming to an end fairly rapidly, I soon realised my error.
dlaczego

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:47 pm Reply with quote
There's a really interesting post on Manga UK exploring the hidden links in Eden of the East Smile

http://www.mangauk.com/?p=paradise-found
lilredphoenix

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:39 pm Reply with quote
This is another great anime I really am interested in collecting all of, and I am relieved to hear after reading many reviews on it that fans do not have to wait so long between the TV series and the movies being licensed and released to get. The fact that it's coming out as a combo pack makes it nice to satisfy fans who want the BD and those who don't can have the DVD in one shot. Seems like the end of the year push during the holiday season encourages fans to snatch up series and shows they have been waiting the earlier 3/4 of the year for.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1