• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - April Fooly Cooly

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fallen Wings

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:00 am Reply with quote
Ha ah it's awesome seeing people enjoying the UMD joke X3 But doesn't quite match up to that scooby doo april fools joke X3

Yeah I think we really might get the director of wicked city and vampire hunter D to draw it ... not like he is busy or anything (The name is an off take of his X3)
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:52 am Reply with quote
Quote:
They came from Japan, to America, to look at American tourist attractions, and one of the attractions turned out to be ... Japanese comics.

Yeah, well, pre-Katrina, the only thing besides those beignet in New Orleans I had was McDonald's food... Embarassed There's a place which serves the "authentic" stuff near me, but I feel like it's not the same unless I go there... Crying or Very sad
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:02 am Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
I do have a question for Carlo. What bookstore did you see the Japanese tourists in? If you don't mind telling.

Oh that? It was the university bookstore at UC San Diego. The campus often gets visitors on the weekends.

As for the people who are defending the post-time skip arc in UMD ... you have got to be kidding me. That's really where the author lost control of the characters IMO. And I hate what they did to Daisuke's little sister. (Though it wasn't nearly as bad as that "moppu~" crap they pulled in the anime.)
redhandgrunt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:21 am Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:
(Though it wasn't nearly as bad as that "moppu~" crap they pulled in the anime.)

The Moppu~ is in the raws they just didn't add it to the english scans.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:25 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
I am quite curious if Ultimate Mop Daisuke DX is a real series or just a joke.

Though the resons I belive this might be a joke is because there has never to my knowledge been a manga with a A+. Another reson is because of the amount of volumes produced. No offense to anyone, but twenty eight volumes seems skiptical for a manga produced/parioded in Anime News Network.

However this series could be real because there was a author name and company. As well as a price and plot summary.

If this series is real, I hope US is able to translate this series.

If your post is for real, and not a joke in itself, then you have just brought a smile and laughter to hearts of countless posters here lol. Once people start asking if it's rela or not on 4chan Robin's immortality will be complete lol.

And at long last Carlo went into his secret vault and brought out the fabled A+ rating......I never thought this day would come.
Levitz9

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:44 am Reply with quote
Man, I just started reading 'Full Moon wo Sagashite' and 'Gentleman's Alliance of Not-Making-Sense' (lol), and now I-O-N comes out....when will Arinicchi stop making great manga?

...Actually, scratch that--better question: How do I get her great manga into my bookshelves, where they belong?

WAIT--BETTER QUESTION!! How can I get that special Ultimate Mop Daisuke DX mop with the Ultra-Collector's Edition?! Anime smile
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:54 am Reply with quote
Humbug to all this mop malarchy. Whilst we're all chuckling about this year's April Fool's Joke some poor people actually have to use mops.
Not me however. I'm privileged.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CloverKuroba

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:08 am Reply with quote
I actually thought volume 22 was when UMD jumped the shark. It just got too crazy from there on.

Yay for Honey and Clover getting an A-. :3

Last edited by CloverKuroba on Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:30 am; edited 2 times in total
skyesage

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:26 am Reply with quote
...That made me laugh so much.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:31 am Reply with quote
Ah, so that's what the hype about something happening today with UMD! Great to see the review, though I still think the series is overrated. Maybe an A- from me.

And I like what they did with his sister, she was annoying as hell before!

Also, I keep debating whether I like Honey & Clover enough to buy the GNs. I think I do, which is odd since I'm not usually a slice-of-lifer, but there are some really interesting characters in there.

Plus if I read it all at once again, I might be able to remember who is who. Right now, I've got Morita down and Hagu (which almost doesn't count with how easy it is). And I remember the Iron Woman character and which guy she likes.
TestamentSaki

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:59 am Reply with quote
About time someone reviewed UMD-DX. It's in a close sencond to my fave series, and heck, there's even the chance of it beating it! And I'm really envious of you Americans. You have the TRADING CARD GAME! Anime cry

spoiler[Nice April Fool's joke, Mr. Santos. I really enjoyed it :3.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Leuconoe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:35 am Reply with quote
Fallen Wings wrote:
Ha ah it's awesome seeing people enjoying the UMD joke X3

What do you mean, 'joke'? UMD is the best thing since Ghost Slide.
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:41 am Reply with quote
Honey and Clover, Fairytail, and UMD? Sunshine! I'm out of the loop to have missed these series getting released. Assuming UMD IS getting released in America FINALLY?

To be fair though...I've never quite got the appeal of UMD to the point fans take it to. I like it a lot, and it is among the best shonen series ever, but I really feel the heart and action in The Busboy of Destiny are better. The start was quicker, and it's certainly better than UMD was at this stage. UMD is a classic, but Busboy of Destiny is the FUTURE. Last week's chapter 76 was better than ANYTHING UMD has done.

I had to quit UMD at around volume 32. The first arc after the time skip wasn't bad...but that mini Mop Fantasy Arc in volume 31 was pretty stupid if I can say so myself.
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:57 am Reply with quote
Despite the date, I was believing in this batch of reviews until I hit UMD. I should have caught on earlier. I mean "Oh!Great" as the name of an author? A novelization of FLCL? Good work!
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:05 am Reply with quote
DavidShallcross wrote:
Despite the date, I was believing in this batch of reviews until I hit UMD. I should have caught on earlier. I mean "Oh!Great" as the name of an author? A novelization of FLCL? Good work!

Oh Great and the FLCL novel are real actually.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6