• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - April Fooly Cooly

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keito.chan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:55 pm Reply with quote
At only Y420, UMD is a steal. Too bad I'll have to pay an arm and a leg for shipping. Can't somebody pick this gem up over here? Please, this fangirl wants her fix (legally)!
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:20 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
I'm amazed there wasn't any OH NOEZ!!! FAIRY TAIL LOOKS LIKE ONE PIECE! WTFBBQ? comparisons going on here considering how on other boards people have mentioned that Fairy Tail resembles Oda's designs in One Piece.

I saw that right away, actually, but I was thinking ... "Someone with this level of talent couldn't possibly be ganking One Piece's style on purpose ... nah, I'll just criticize him for ripping off his own work, since I'm not familiar enough with OP to be sure" Anime hyper

And I don't think I could live with the "How dare you compare One Piece to Fairy Tail, one of them is way deeper and betterer than the other" intra-fandom sniping that would inevitably follow. Rolling Eyes
The Xenos

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:37 pm Reply with quote
I thought I heard that the mangaka on Fairy Tail used to work under Oda on One Piece. So I really don't think it's cheap at all that he has a similar style as the artist he trained under. It's just how things work.

Meanwhile, speaking of shonen, I can't believe someone brought up Ultimate Mop Daisuke DX. I admit I checked out some scallions. What utter crap. I read seventeen volumes and it was total crap. Then I read five more as they were coming out just to be sure. Now I didn't pay anything for it, but I read scanlations and that gives me a right to tell people how bad this series is. UMD has got to be one of the worst shonen series ever. Plus there was that one haitus the author went on was worse then Hunter X Hunter x Berserk. I'd give it an F - -.
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:43 pm Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:
I thought I heard that the mangaka on Fairy Tail used to work under Oda on One Piece. So I really don't think it's cheap at all that he has a similar style as the artist he trained under. It's just how things work.

Ah, that would make a lot of sense. I knew there had to be a legit reason for the One Piece-ishness of FT, and "he was trained that way" is probably the best reason there is.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:23 pm Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:

Honestly, the artwork reminded me of Chrono Trigger at first. Although I do see the resembalance in One Piece. However, its like Xenos stated, its only fair to use the same writing style he was trained in.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Man, I can't believe all this blind hate for UMD!! Shocked How can anyone possibly read this series and not cry, laugh, sit at the edge of their seat and go "that was one freaking epic battle!" Are your hearts made of stone? Do you not have any sense of humor? Are you such a boring, dull, lifeless human being that you couldn't find ANYTHING in this incredible little shounen series? I'm ashamed to even be talking to such people as you guys! You truly are the scum of the earth for not liking this series! And heck, you even know what? Any of you who think UMD is anything less than the greatest possible thing god had put on his green earth are no better! I hope you all burn!! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Wink
ClichedUsername

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:48 pm Reply with quote
I read the UMD article in your column, and for the most part, I think that my feelings of this manga were summed up perfectly.

However, I must disagree with you on your comment about the post-time-skip arc. I feel that of all canon arcs, the Kanshigo Chowatakisaki is the best, even better than the CP9 arc in One Piece, which for me was one of the best arcs ever.
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Veoryn87 wrote:
DavidShallcross wrote:
Despite the date, I was believing in this batch of reviews until I hit UMD. I should have caught on earlier. I mean "Oh!Great" as the name of an author? A novelization of FLCL? Good work!

Oh Great and the FLCL novel are real actually.

Oh! Great is a real person, and the FLCL novel exists, Ultimate Mop Daisuke DX is made up, but fun to make up stuff about in the same way that reading articles about responsibilityuns lagging behind funyuns in sales and exploding chocolate factories causing delicious, sticky tragedies in The Onion is fun.

Anyway, I was interested to hear that UMD DX has the Moppu! in the manga as well, I had no idea as I've only seen the anime, not a fan of moe so I found it depressing and wanted to see more of the character as they were before the accident. Did anyone spot the references to Fantasia in episode 81 BTW, I thought that was great, having a whole episode about Daisuke's dreams (of course I know that's older, but I wanted to mention it). I think I even spotted a reference to The Brave Little Toaster, and there was loads of Alice in Wonderland imagery.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:04 pm Reply with quote
UtenaAnthy wrote:
Veoryn87 wrote:
DavidShallcross wrote:
Despite the date, I was believing in this batch of reviews until I hit UMD. I should have caught on earlier. I mean "Oh!Great" as the name of an author? A novelization of FLCL? Good work!

Oh Great and the FLCL novel are real actually.

Oh! Great is a real person, and the FLCL novel exists, Ultimate Mop Daisuke DX is made up, but fun to make up stuff about in the same way that reading articles about responsibilityuns lagging behind funyuns in sales and exploding chocolate factories causing delicious, sticky tragedies in The Onion is fun.

Anyway, I was interested to hear that UMD DX has the Moppu! in the manga as well, I had no idea as I've only seen the anime, not a fan of moe so I found it depressing and wanted to see more of the character as they were before the accident. Did anyone spot the references to Fantasia in episode 81 BTW, I thought that was great, having a whole episode about Daisuke's dreams (of course I know that's older, but I wanted to mention it). I think I even spotted a reference to The Brave Little Toaster, and there was loads of Alice in Wonderland imagery.

Quoted because I haven't had toast in a few years and a sibling of mine used to watch Alice in Wonderland.

Just joking of course. I can't say I am really surprisesd that there is a FLCL novel, as most older series are doing those these days.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
The Xenos wrote:

Honestly, the artwork reminded me of Chrono Trigger at first. Although I do see the resembalance in One Piece. However, its like Xenos stated, its only fair to use the same writing style he was trained in.

Well, that makes sense too. One Piece's Oda was influenced by Toriyama. Double checking, he worked assisting the artist on Kenshin, but he also cites Toriyama as an influence.
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:30 pm Reply with quote
and to be fair, Dragonball influenced just about every boys' action series from the mid-80's onwards.

...yes, even Ultimate Mop Daisuke.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:20 pm Reply with quote
stormcrow22 wrote:
DuelLadyS wrote:
I've been debating and debating if any long-running (15+ volume) manga series need to be added to my collection. Shaman King has been the only contender... until now. It is obvious the Ultimate Mop Daisuke MUST be part of my collection! I'd better go warn the BF now that if we have kids, I've already spent our first born on the World's greatest manga! (Do any shops take IOU on first born? I mean, maybe they'll be afraid of it missing a few toes or something...)

Speaking of which, does that mean the firstborn's name is already set is stone? Are you gonna go with U.M. Daisuke [last name] or just Daisuke [last name]. If you go with the U.M., it makes it seem like some professor's name.

Oh, we couldn't really decide just one name... we're going with Daisuke Arai Hiroshi Mari Oyaji Moppu Smith.

Unless, of course, the bookstore we give the kid to decides to change it. I'll be crushed if it ends up being Barnes & Noble Smith, but if it gets me my UMD I'll be happy. Very Happy
Not a Jellyfish

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:18 pm Reply with quote
BrothersElric wrote:
Man, I can't believe all this blind hate for UMD!! Shocked How can anyone possibly read this series and not cry, laugh, sit at the edge of their seat and go "that was one freaking epic battle!" Are your hearts made of stone? Do you not have any sense of humor? Are you such a boring, dull, lifeless human being that you couldn't find ANYTHING in this incredible little shounen series? I'm ashamed to even be talking to such people as you guys! You truly are the scum of the earth for not liking this series! And heck, you even know what? Any of you who think UMD is anything less than the greatest possible thing god had put on his green earth are no better! I hope you all burn!! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Wink

Man, it's all you Daisutards that keep ruining this for the rest of us! Just because it's your favorite series, does not make it the greatest series ever. Tezuka's "Some Important-Sounding Title" was far better than UMD could ever hope to be. You guys need to read REAL manga like the works of Obusukyaru Neemu or Iritesuto Asu! I can't stand all this stupid noobs who don't even know who Yooru Mamu is!! Go do some research and come back to me when you've read something that isn't utter trash. Rolling Eyes
rabble

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Unholy_Nny wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
All I simply want is a straight answer; "Is Ultimate Mop Daisuke DX a real series or not".

In the realm that is ANN, yes. In the real world? Sadly, it's not =(

Thank you, I now finally know the answer. Thanks again.

Have you heard the truth yet about Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny?
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Not a Jellyfish wrote:
BrothersElric wrote:

Wink

Man, it's all you Daisutards that keep ruining this for the rest of us! Just because it's your favorite series, does not make it the greatest series ever. Tezuka's "Some Important-Sounding Title" was far better than UMD could ever hope to be. You guys need to read REAL manga like the works of Obusukyaru Neemu or Iritesuto Asu! I can't stand all this stupid noobs who don't even know who Yooru Mamu is!! Go do some research and come back to me when you've read something that isn't utter trash. Rolling Eyes

*If fans want a real man's manga, than these fans need to read Chi's Sweet Home. This story is about a cat who get's separated from his family and is found by a family. Also the cat is named Chi and is quite pampered. This series is a man's manga, better than most manga these days. *

* I recently watched Chi's Sweet Home and did enjoy the series, but I am joking. In case anyone took me seriously.*
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6