• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Classical music in anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:17 pm Reply with quote
There's quite a bit of Chopin in anime. My favorite piece of music of all time, Chopin's Opus 10 Etude No. 3 ("Tristesse") is in the last episode of Fullmetal Alchemist as well as the third Tenchi Muyo movie (which has a soundtrack of Chopin remixes).

And of course, the famous climax of the space game in the "Day of Sagittarius" episode of SHnY has a piece of classical music which was also used during a similar scene in LoGH. Coincidence? Of course not.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Facade19

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:29 pm Reply with quote
I am surprised no one has mentioned this yet, but Rah Xephon opens with Wagner's Overture to the Meistersinger of Nurnberg. One of the best openings to an entire show.
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Facade19 wrote:
I am surprised no one has mentioned this yet, but Rah Xephon opens with Wagner's Overture to the Meistersinger of Nurnberg. One of the best openings to an entire show.

Arg! My lack of knowledge kept me from doing that. I've seen the series 3 times too.......
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:46 pm Reply with quote
TestamentSaki wrote:
Let us not forget Ouran Koukou Host Club, where I'm certain there was a Mozart piece played in the episode where spoiler[Shiro wanted to act like a host to be brave to a girl he likedand was about to go... Or something like that. My memory sucks].

Yes! The Sonata in D for 2 Pianos (K. 448). It also appeared as the first duet that Nodame and Chiaki learn together in Nodame Cantabile.

And I don't know why I remember this, but Kyo Kara Maou has Chopin's "Harp" Etude (Op. 25, No.1) and the chorale melody from Bach's Wachet Auf, Ruft Uns die Stimme as incidental background music from time to time. Anime hyper
TestamentSaki

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for completing my comment, Mr. Patachu (uh, that sounded weird.)

I just remembered something else! In FLCL, the piece where they're spoiler[chasing Ninamori after the robot sprouted from her head] has a classical piece too, only that the name has escaped my mind.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:24 pm Reply with quote
The Astro Boy [1980] series actually has quite a few classical music interjections in several episodes. The obvious one is where parts of Swan Lake plays due to a Swan Lake like story in one of the episodes (episode 5: Robotland in particular in the Manga Ent. order)
Another episode that I distincly remeber its classical music was for episode 25: The Robot Vikings. This episode made me very happy because the Robot Vikings theme was "Mars: Bringer of War" from Holst's Planets, and since I adore this song, hearing it in the anime just made my face beam.
There were other episodes than just those 2, I just can't remeber them. Since I watched the sub of the Astro Boy 1980, I can't be 100% sure it wasn't edited in the english dub, although I doubt it was.

I would still say the best use of classical music in an anime is for Princess Tutu, which Key mentioned earlier. I'm really hoping that Princess Tutu might encourage more shows to use classical music, I can't think of a piece out of place in that show. The Etude segments on the discs were also a nice touch and told you what music was played at certain points in the show on that particular disc.

Not really an anime, but its from Japan nontheless, some really easily overlooked classical music in a video game is found in Ape Escape 3 for the PS2. I overlooked the classical for a while because it doesn't use very common pieces. The tune for Polovtsian Dance no. 17 (Prince Igor) sounds a lot like the level theme for Saru-mon's castle. I also know that the Genie's default theme is based on a classical piece, but since I heard it on the radio and missed the name, I'm not sure which one...
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:25 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

And of course, the famous climax of the space game in the "Day of Sagittarius" episode of SHnY has a piece of classical music which was also used during a similar scene in LoGH. Coincidence? Of course not.

That is exactly what came to my mind when I saw this episode! but I couldn't think of the name of this song.
indrik

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:53 pm Reply with quote
That's the last movement of Tchaikovsky 4 that they play at the end of the video game segment. I remember now, having recently played Tchaik 5 again. (See the thread Randall links to for why I say that, sorry....)

I'm watching Princess Tutu with the children- we play, "who can name the piece" when the themes come in. It can be tough at times. Winner gets a Klondike. But there's a really broad range of music in there, even if it's almost exclusively Romantic. Lots of nice stuff, including some generally underappreciated pieces. My dad was the one who finally realized that the main ominous spooky thing was the dwarf's theme from... heck, somewhere in the Ring Cycle. I don't know Wagner as well as I probably should.

I remember My Neighbors the Yamadas using bits of Mahler 5 in a segment about marriage, which is very appropriate considering that the symphony is generally considered to be Mahler's proposal to his wife. I think there was some other classical stuff in there, but I can't remember what it was. Sounds like an excuse to rewatch.

RahXephon also used the Dance of the Maidens from the Polovetsian Dances extensively, if I remember right. I never quite figured out why they did that, though, except that the mood of the piece seemed to fit the mood of the show. No real connection I could fathom past that.
rti9

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:59 pm Reply with quote
I recall thinking "this is probably how Violinist of Hamelin should have been made" while watching Princess Tutu. The only memorable classical piece I can remember from VoH is Gustav Mahler's "Tragic". 2007's Piano no Mori uses a few classical works too. Notably Mozart's Piano Sonata No. 8 in A minor, K 310 which is essential to the plot.

Randall Miyashiro wrote:
The sports festival of Azumanga Daioh comes to mind as well.

I believe that Aram Khachaturian's "Sabre Dance" is used there.

Labbes wrote:
Edit: "Suiten for Violoncello" (I think it's by Bach, too, but I'm not too sure and I'm too lazy to google it) is used as background music for Death, the recap of the whole EVA series.

Googled it.

TestamentSaki wrote:
I just remembered something else! In FLCL, the piece where they're spoiler[chasing Ninamori after the robot sprouted from her head] has a classical piece too, only that the name has escaped my mind.

The name of the song is カバレフスキー:「道化師」より~ギャロップ, so I guess it comes from Dmitri Kabalevsky.
indrik

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Oh yeah- that's the Kabalevsky Comedian's Gallop, isn't it?
rti9

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:30 pm Reply with quote
indrik wrote:
Oh yeah- that's the Kabalevsky Comedian's Gallop, isn't it?

LOL. Thinking about it, this is probably the piece used on Azumanga and not Sabre Dance.
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:42 pm Reply with quote
TestamentSaki wrote:
DragonsRevenge wrote:
TestamentSaki wrote:
Air on the G String

Hahaha

Laugh at it as much as you want, you cultureless punk, but it's real, it's great, and most of all, it's composed by J.S. Bach. Beat that Cool

What's to beat? I got a dirty mind. I'm familiar with the piece and I like it a lot.
Cetus-kun

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:18 pm Reply with quote
I don't think I really need a spoiler for this, but in Big O spoiler[Dorothy is frequently shown playing Chopin's Raindrops Prelude.]
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:19 pm Reply with quote
DragonsRevenge wrote:
What's to beat? I got a dirty mind. I'm familiar with the piece and I like it a lot.

Amen to that. We all enjoy being a bit vulgar, even Mozart.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Xenofan 29A

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Everyone missed Jesu Bleibt Meine Freude (famously arranged, not composed, by JS Bach) and the famous Halleluia chorus from Handel's Messiah when speaking of classical music in Eva. Also, the trailer for Death and Rebirth used the first part of the Dies Irae from Verdi's Requiem Mass. Evangelion: Death also contains a bit of one of Bach's violin suites.

There were several uses of classical music in Kareshi Kanojou no Jijou as well, including Borodin's Poloveskian Dances, as mentioned above in connection with RahXephon, and pieces by Haydn, Mozart, Debussy, and Bach (during the spoiler[famous sex scene].)

Ode to Joy is also used in the first episode of Excel Saga.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5