• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Classical music in anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Labbes

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:46 am Reply with quote
I watched the "Comedy" OVA just yesterday, and the background music is "Ave Maria" by Schubert and the "Erlkonig" written by Goethe and composed by Schubert.
rti9

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:59 am Reply with quote
This reminds me of Cowboy Bebop's episode 5 (Ballad of the Fallen Angels) when Faye is introduced to Vicious while hearing Ave Maria.

Looking through myanime list I remembered two more. Yoko Kanno played a... version of Liszt's Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2 for Mindgame. Kinda silly but on Initial D, whenever Takeshi Nakazato appeared in his GT-R, Toccata and Fugue in D minor, BWV 565 (Phantom of the Opera) is played.
aya_honda

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:46 pm Reply with quote
And if I'm not mistaken in Boys be..... there's a piece from 1812 Overture by Tchaikovsky. I believe that it's in the episode when they celebrate the New Year's Eve, though I'm not sure if it's this scene.
LeoKnight25

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 3:03 am Reply with quote
Giant Robo's first OVA done back in 1992 used a piece from the Italian Opera, L'elisir d'amore by Gaetano Donizetti, called Una Furtiva lagrima sung by Nemorino in a deep tenor voice. It's a very haunting piece and is used during a very tragic flashback sequence. Fits the mood of the scene to a T.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
kaizen-dono

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Un bel di, vedremo was used in magnetic rose, I thought it went very well with the whole drifting endlessly through space thing.
though im not sure if this is what you mean by classical music???
Drac

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Two of my most favorite moments in One Piece used classical pieces of music.

During the final fight between Luffy and Crocodile the 4th movement in Dvorak's New World Symphony plays. Ava Maria plays during Dr. Hiruluk's final moments. I'm really looking forward to when Funimation gets to those two episodes.

They also randomly played Ode to Joy during the recent story arc in Japan.
abominaSion

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:01 pm Reply with quote
The 9'th symphony is definatley used alot. Most times in an apropriate way. However, What anime out there uses more than 1/4 of the actual symphony. or any other classical piece for that matter.

I wanted to post a thread like this, like a recomindation for anime that uses classical numbers...like episode length or throught most of the series.
rti9

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:41 am Reply with quote
abominaSion wrote:
What anime out there uses more than 1/4 of the actual symphony. or any other classical piece for that matter.

Outside anime I can only think of Fantasia and Fantasia 2000.

The full version of the fourth movement of the Symphony No. 9 used on episode 24 of Evangelion (which is available in one of the albums, I don't remember which) has over 23 minutes. Could you name other mediums outside anime that actually use more than 1/4 of the symphony?
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:25 am Reply with quote
A short segment of Rimsky-Korsakov's Scheherazade plays in Ninomiya-kun. Nothing really significant, but enough to give us music geeks a good laugh.
abominaSion

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:37 pm Reply with quote
rti9 wrote:
Could you name other mediums outside anime that actually use more than 1/4 of the symphony?

Unfortunately, I cannot.
dana123girl

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:59 am Reply with quote
I think i can share that there's an anime that's FULL of classical music...La Corda D'oro! can this anime count in this forum??? Question
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:33 am Reply with quote
TestamentSaki wrote:
Thanks for completing my comment, Mr. Patachu (uh, that sounded weird.)

I just remembered something else! In FLCL, the piece where they're spoiler[chasing Ninamori after the robot sprouted from her head] has a classical piece too, only that the name has escaped my mind.

That piece is called "Yorii Gallop".

Cetus-kun wrote:
I don't think I really need a spoiler for this, but in Big O spoiler[Dorothy is frequently shown playing Chopin's Raindrops Prelude.]

It was also played on Blood+, episode 9, "Rainbow for Each", I believe. spoiler[Riku's lady friend Mui plays it on piano, and after nearly becoming a Chiropteran fiend, her hand is still seen making the motions of playing "Raindrop, implying she still has a little humanity left in her.]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mgrace7410

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:00 pm Reply with quote
frentymon wrote:
A short segment of Rimsky-Korsakov's Scheherazade plays in Ninomiya-kun. Nothing really significant, but enough to give us music geeks a good laugh.

lol I agree
kornpone

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:51 am Reply with quote
"Kemeko Deluxe" is very, very far from being a high-class show -- you could even say that it's deliberately low-brow -- but a couple of weeks ago in episode 4, Beethoven's Ode to Joy chorus from the 9th symphony received deliciously inappropriate treatment.

During this obligatory service-laden pool episode, Izumi-chan, the f-cup childhood friend of our hapless hero happens to be standing in the right (er-- wrong) place at the right moment when another fellow's eyeglasses fall from the sky, catch on the bikini-top tie at the back of her neck, loosening the knot and causing the twin films of flimsy fabric to descend earthward in sloooow motion (slowed even further as they catch on her nipples) just as the soundtrack erupts into "Freude, schöne Götterfunken...etc".

(The poor hero, of course, not only turns into an obligatory twin nosebleed fountain, but then subsequently gets absolutely creamed by Izumi-chan's mean right hook when she realizes what's happened.)

You can get a little taste of it here:
http://www.mypress.jp/v2_writers/bontane/story/?story_id=1780651

It's really all rather moving --so much so, in fact, that the scene enjoyed a brief reprise in episode 5 during a flashback.

Gotta love it Wink
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:06 pm Reply with quote
kornpone wrote:
During this obligatory service-laden pool episode, Izumi-chan, the f-cup childhood friend of our hapless hero happens to be standing in the right (er-- wrong) place at the right moment when another fellow's eyeglasses fall from the sky, catch on the bikini-top tie at the back of her neck, loosening the knot and causing the twin films of flimsy fabric to descend earthward in sloooow motion (slowed even further as they catch on her nipples) just as the soundtrack erupts into "Freude, schöne Götterfunken...etc".

I have to admit, your account of this scene was subtly arousing.
It's been a long day. I become like this...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5