• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Classical music in anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kornpone

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:29 am Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
It's been a long day. I become like this...

Glad to be of service Laughing

Last edited by kornpone on Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:08 am; edited 1 time in total
eyeresist

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:37 am Reply with quote
Before this thread goes over to the next page, I just want to mention that Wagner's Meistersinger overture also features in the excellent Boogiepop Phantom series. It was the BG track for the next ep preview, and in episode was whistled by Boogiepop him?self. I don't know if the track has any significance to the story other than the original novelist liked the music...
Sarii Seiichirou Haydn

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:26 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
This topic probably more properly belongs in the Music forum, but since you asked. . .

Probably the most thorough example of classical music used in anime is wonderful magical girl series Princess Tutu, whose entire soundtrack (even the opener!) is composed of classical music and themes from famous ballets. The events in the story sometimes even follow the course of the music as much as the other way around.

yaa-yaa..
morning grace (the opening) and although my love is small (the closing) are so classic...

some of D.N.Angel's soundtrack are classic music also like frozen flower, ice and snow,etc....[/b]
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Watching through Speed Grapher and at the beginning of the second half of the 14th episode, I notice Bach's Toccata et Fugue in D minor playing at the start of a wedding. Odd music for a wedding if you ask me, but it was an organ version, which I liked.
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:23 pm Reply with quote
It's probably already been mentioned but Fullmetal Alchemist has Chopin's Etude No. 3 under the name of "Wakare no Kyoku". You have the piano version, and then another version which starts with an oboe and English horn. (I'm assuming... I haven't heard much English horn, but I'd have to think that one of those two instruments would definitely have to be one.)

Also Death Note has one of Bach's Cello Suites. I don't remember the exact name of it, but I know that it was definitely a piece by Bach.

That's all I can think of other than the obvious Nodame Cantabile which of course is going to have classical music in it. =P
Ausdoerrt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:43 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised nobody mentioned Gankutsuou until now, which, if I remember correctly makes extensive use of Tschaikovsky's Manfred (7th) symphony, 1st and 4th movements iirc. Also some other titles I can't name off the top of my head.

Also the Battle Royale movie (not anime), uses a few famous classical pieces, among them excerpts from Verdi's Requiem.
RahlEH

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:20 pm Reply with quote
I can't belive no one has stated the obvious yet, Nodame Cantabile and Nodame Cantabile: Paris. Its exclusively classical music and the range is really thrilling. This anime helped develop my interest in classical music. Top Notch
Ausdoerrt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:05 am Reply with quote
RahlEH wrote:
I can't belive no one has stated the obvious yet, Nodame Cantabile and Nodame Cantabile: Paris. Its exclusively classical music and the range is really thrilling. This anime helped develop my interest in classical music. Top Notch

Well, it's not [/i]exclusively[/i] classical, there's a lot of standard anime-like music selections for the soundtrack. Plus, it's been mentioned on page 1, post 3, if you bothered to read the thread Razz
Artiselene

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:36 am Reply with quote
Looking at the other posts, it seems Ode to Joy has been a reoccurring theme within a variety of anime. But the greatest emotional instance for me was at the end of Tokyo Godfathers. It was the perfect way to end the movie.

Of course it's already been covered, but I'll keep on praising Princess Tutu. That show does classical music some serious justice. After watching it, I now have the urge to actually go out and see a ballet, or even listen to classical music stations on the radio (I was even able to recognize a few pieces used in the show). That's a complete 180 from my previous view of the genre, where I believed it was boring and very difficult to react emotionally when listening.
Ausdoerrt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:24 pm Reply with quote
In Tokyo Godfathers, I was personally more amused by the arrangement (and also all the cynical implications of placing the "ode to joy" in the end of that movie) more that in awe of it. But it was fun, anyway.
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:41 pm Reply with quote
RahlEH wrote:

What about me? I mentioned it. =(

Also I realized the other day when I was watching my One Piece DVD that in either the end of 46 or 47 (the part with Buggy's adventure) they play Chopin's Etude No. 3 (or whatever it is, the same as Wakare No Kyoku in FMA).

I'm really shocked that I didn't notice that the first time watching the anime. o_O
Maryohki

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:48 am Reply with quote
I have the Fate/Stay Night OST that Geneon released. I used to listen to it a lot. Recently, I got a CD of Mozart's Requiem, and I recognized Mozart: Requiem In D Minor, K 626 - 8. Sequentia: Lacrimosa Dies Illa as being on the Fate/Stay Night soundtrack under the title "Requiem for the Epic Spirits".
eyeresist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:43 am Reply with quote
I just saw an episode from season 1 of Case Closed which revolved around Beethoven's "Moonlight" sonata. Music from the sonata played whenever somebody died.
arachneia

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Apart from Tutu, I remember Tchaikovsky's 4th Symphony's last movement being played during the computer game sequence of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. There are other classical pieces in the show, but I only really noticed this one.
nagato316

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:33 am Reply with quote
arachneia wrote:
Apart from Tutu, I remember Tchaikovsky's 4th Symphony's last movement being played during the computer game sequence of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. There are other classical pieces in the show, but I only really noticed this one.

You're referring to the piece used toward the end of the battle, spoiler[ when the SOS Brigade fleets pwn the Computer Club fleets thanks to Yuki's "leet" hacking, ] right?

While we're talking about The Day of Sagitarrius, don't forget the "main theme," Shostakovich's Symphony No. 7 in C major, 1st Movement--this is the piece we hear rendered in "8-bit" style when the SOS Brigade starts learning to play the game; of course, we hear it again in its full orchestral glory when the perspective switches from the clubroom to "inside the game."

Speaking of classical music in TMoHS...can anyone identify the piece played by the North High woodwinds ensemble during the school festival, just as Kyon is entering the auditorium in the Live a Live episode? Is that an actual classical piece--I'm guessing yes, but I have no idea what it is or who wrote it--or was it just written for that little interlude in Live a Live?

I just remembered...there's another classical piece used during the climax of the "Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part VI" episode. spoiler[ Inside the closed space, as the luminescent giant is closing in, just before Kyon kisses Haruhi...] A piece is played that sounds a lot like the perennial favorite 4th movement of Beethoven's 9th--there's an epic-sounding chorus here too!--but I know it's not Beethoven's 9th. Of course, I'm dying of curiosity as to what it is.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5