• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2008-04-04]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dizzywulf

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:36 am Reply with quote
I think I faced waaay more ridicule for being an anime fan in the US than I ever did in Japan.
I'm a Japanese major and the first year it was sort of a divisive issue. The non-fans and the fans in classes would sort of segregate into their own groups and sub-groups. They'd mostly leave each other alone.
The non-fans would always make snide comments and go on about how their interest in Japanese was more genuine *because* they didn't like anime. The fans would either roll their eyes and ignore them or argue back.
Now, in the last Japanese class before graduation it's not really an issue. Sometimes there's a snicker or smirk if someone mentions anime but it's not the "Oh my gawd, anime is soooo retarded" from before.

When studied in Japan I think being a fan actually helped me to make friends. In one of my clubs some people were talking about Honey and Clover and when I mentioned that I liked it too they got really excited and we talked about what other series we liked. That conversation started some really great friendships that continue to today.
There were a few jerks but I didn't waste my time with them. I had friends and a busy social life.
james039

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:37 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Answerman wrote:
To me, that's delusional - you know, like 9/11 truthers, Area 51 conspiracy theorists, and Hillary Clinton supporters.

Really? Do you have to do that?

i agree with Zach, but you are right. political slander has no place on a site like this.

Besides the fact it's clearly just a joke of a political nature, you are incorrect to call it 'slander'. 'slander' or 'libel' is to make false statements about a person that are perhaps damaging to their reputation. Calling a group of supporters of one political candidate 'delusional' is, even if interpreted with no sense of humor whatsoever, nothing more than an opinion.

besides, it was funny. Laughing

and facepalm Worf was funny too.
Satsujinki

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:41 am Reply with quote
Just prior to reading the entire column, as soon as I saw Hillary brought up, I immediately hit the "end" key just to see the reply count under the belief someone was going to be upset. Yeah, didn't see that coming a mile away.

Politics and the internet, uh, yeah, did we not see the thread about Canada banning certain hentai already? Simple fact of the matter is, the internet has become an irrefutable tool to voice ones political opinions a lot more openly than people ever would in person.

My two cents aside: slander is defined as defamation of character; calling all Hillary supporters delusional would therefore entertain the notion that it was defamatory of those that support her (see also: satire). Alas, I'm not upset, I'm an Obama supporter anyway.

Oh, and also, if you have a computer within the vicinity of a TV, a video card with TV-out capabilities (S-Video, DVI), and long enough cables, that also takes care of the mass viewing problem.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:01 am Reply with quote
I agree with what Zac said concerning collecting anime.

I want the dvds, I want the art boxes. I want to watch them on my nice big TV.

But, Zac, I think that you forgot the added benefit of the nice comfy chair or bed to watch anime from.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:06 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
I agree with what Zac said concerning collecting anime.

I want the dvds, I want the art boxes. I want to watch them on my nice big TV.

But, Zac, I think that you forgot the added benefit of the nice comfy chair or bed to watch anime from.

Ah yes, the nice comfortable places to be able to watch your anime from, instead of having to sit on a hardback chair in front of a screen that will blind you faster when you do nothing but stare at it in a concentrated zone for almost 12 hours. Me? I prefer watching my anime on TV while I am laying on my bed Smile
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:16 am Reply with quote
Quote:
To me, that's delusional - you know, like 9/11 truthers, Area 51 conspiracy theorists, and Hillary Clinton supporters.

I know you're only kidding but I find this offensive. There is solid proof that supports area 51's existence. Comparing it to Clinton supporters is just unfair.

Quote:
Anyway, we picked up a random game and started playing with each other (like the good little boys our wives imagined us to be like on our play-date), but we also chatted about our common interests. Since I have a secondary interest in video games, it was easy to talk about things he liked, but when I mentioned that my main interest was anime, he replied,

"Wow. At least I'm not THAT geeky."

I was taken aback. Actually, I felt insulted. Here was a guy who needed his own room in the attic to have enough space for his hobby, and he called my interest more geeky?

See, I hate to see this. It's not enough that the various nerdy hobbies are already looked down upon by non-nerds. We have to have nerds hating on other nerds. It's just stupid. I dunno, I guess I can see why it happens. Looking down on other nerds makes people feel better about how nerdy they are by letting them go "well at least I'm not that nerdy" as seen above. Not to mention everyone just loves to be an elitist and think their nerdy fandom is better than other nerdy fandoms. it's such a shame though. We're all nerdy in the end and were only making it worse. So I say to you all: Nerds of the world unite. For I have a dream! Of Anime nerds, Video Game nerds, Comic nerds, D&D nerds, SciFi nerds, and every other kind of nerds, all sharing an internet forum without arguing over who is teh sux!
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:16 am Reply with quote
I don't remember ever being publically ridiculed for my interest in anime, but then, I don't really open up about my interest in it with others. It's not a secret to people who know me well, but I generally don't advertise it, or anything else I'm interested in. That's an annoying trait in anybody.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Wyvern

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:33 am Reply with quote
Quote:
What is it about anime (and manga) as a genre that makes its fans think they're so creative? It's not like every person who reads a book thinks they could be the next J.K Rowling, or everyone who watches movies think they could write/direct/act.

See, there's a problem with the premise of this question, and it's the idea that anime fans are somehow unique in this area. No, not everyone who watches a movie thinks they can write/direct/act, but the number of people who do, and who then try to make their own films or try to make it in the entertainment biz only to fail miserably, is HUGE. It dwarfs anime fans who make bad manga by a thousand to one. And as my friend who works for a major publisher will tell you, a LOT of people who read books do think they've come up with the next Harry Potter. The number of unreadable Potter-wannabe submissions they get boggles the mind.

Pretty much every fandom does this, not just anime. Maybe because there are a lot of younger fans out there, you do see a bit more of it from otaku (it would also explain why every one of these seems to be Naruto and Sonic the Hedgehog meeting the cast of Kingdom Hearts) but it's nothing other fandoms haven't done themselves.
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:42 am Reply with quote
People need to learn that the words "ignorance" and "ignorant" have less to do with being narrowminded and more with lacking awareness of something. Rolling Eyes

Mr Zac wrote:
Don't get me wrong - I'm not some cranky old coot who yells at the kids on his lawn (okay, maybe that one time)

Mr Zac wrote:
Instead they all hold out hope that one day they'll be the next Miyazaki with their brilliant series about mechs piloted by twelve angsty teens with elemental magic powers and also three of them are gay.

Know that you just made my day with these two lines. Very Happy
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:42 am Reply with quote
I love buying anime dvds, because then I own a physical media and I can enjoy looking at the pretty box and yada yada yada. I've never really liked the idea of digital distribution, sure it works for a lot of things, but I've still never liked it that much for probably stupid reasons. The first being that my HDD could always fail at any moment and worrying about these mp3s or tv shows that I bought might disappear and trying to back them up seems pointless in the end because the DVD or CD will still always last longer. I have no problem playing my parents classical CDs from the mid 80's, so obviously it was a format that was extremely well designed and will probably stick around for a while. Second, I'm only buying the intellectual property this way while I'd rather be paying for it and a tangible item, call me old fashioned, but I like to touch what I payed for.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:53 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I don't remember ever being publically ridiculed for my interest in anime, but then, I don't really open up about my interest in it with others. It's not a secret to people who know me well

Exactly the same for me. I do buy anime at stores rather often though (even the ones with pink covers or sexual innuendos) and have still never had any employee say a thing about what I am buying. Although that would be bad business, but I've heard stories from others.

Actually I was in Hawaii a few weeks ago for an event regarding my favorite seiyuu. The event (Honolulu Festival 2008) was not anime related at all. All of us fans were obviously anime fans (many of us wearing anime related T-shirts and the pamphlets we obviously anime inspired) but none of us got a single bit of ridicule. In fact, I had people coming up to me after the concert expressing how impressed they were by us... On the other hand, it probably wouldn't be that polite to ridicule one of the performers or her fans at their festival for doing or liking what they do. Anyway, there wasn't a single bit of ridicule aimed at us for being anime fans at an obviously non-anime related event. I thought it was pretty cool.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:27 am Reply with quote
How I feel anime fell in the past few years? It could just be a product of years in the fandom, but it seems like many of the shows are becoming repeats for me. A different charcter with different hair but the same personality.

it's kinda sad really.

hm. I'm intrested in japanese culture. For the past five years i've been trying to talk my parents into letting me study abroad in Japan. it's a dream of mine. I've been trying to get a firm grip on the basics of Japanese language, which, has been kinda hard. Even though I want to take the courses, I can't seem to remember the language well.

Don't get me started on Kanji.

I love anime but I want to go to Japan for the fashion. I love many of the outfits i've seen and I want to get into that. I'm sure shoe shopping there would be some type of holy dream.

I've also always wanted to go to a shrine or a festival.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Roy9076

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:37 am Reply with quote
I stick with physical media. Sure, downloads are nice and all, but about 1/3 of America at most has a great connection for downloads. Besides, I do not mind how I match my shows, but dropping a bucket on a new TV (I also play games), I rather much use that than download shows. Downloading takes time and uses a lot of memory compare to disc. Then again, I still collect. >.< Anyhoo, I'm actually answering an Answerman question!

I like Japanese culture in general. Sure, anime is nice and all, but the Japanese culture blows anime out of the water. I always have a strong interest in Japanese culture. I recently been to Japan and I find hanging around temples much more fascinating than hanging around Akihabara for the latest anime shows. I visit there, now I want to be there even longer! I felt SO happy being there not to mention that a lot of my favorite history is from Japan. Sure, interested in Asia in general, but Japan takes the cake. They are weird, but also they are cool.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
rti9

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:39 am Reply with quote
Answerfans was incredibly good. I really liked the stories sent by Nathaniel Hsu and Sarah Hodge-Wetherbe. Megan Hawkes, thank you so much for sharing your story. I suppose you were working as an English teacher in Japan. I wish you said in what part of Japan you were living because residing on the countryside or in the big cities changes everything. Your conclusion was simply beautiful:
Megan Hawkes wrote:
Besides, I could still draw Pikachu on the elementary school's chalkboard and become an instant hero, so it wasn't all bad.

This thing about DVDs reminds me of when CDs appeared as the successor of the LPs. One of the many complaints was that LP cases were beautiful and the size of CD cases would simply kill this art form. Everyone who posted on this thread will probably be even more frustrated than the LP generation if one day plastic cases are substituted by bits of data inside their computers.
bayoab

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:13 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Quote:

I know you're only kidding but I find this offensive. There is solid proof that supports area 51's existence. Comparing it to Clinton supporters is just unfair.

Yes, "Area 51" exists. It is a military base in Nevada.
No, it is not holding classified alien technology. (This is the conspiracy theorist part.)

Also, would it be delusional to claim that digital distribution will likely not take off very far ever for anime? The other Japanese companies are going to be watching what happens with Gonzo very carefully. Unlike most of the other companies, Gonzo is dependent on foreign revenue to the point that they need to be willing to be a nail that sticks up.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7