• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2008-04-04]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Toto

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:12 am Reply with quote
Ceru wrote:
At the same time however, it's important to note that we all also notice the low framerate and quality in anime compared to say, Disney or James Baxter or Dreamworks stuff. That goes without saying. Don't even bother to argue on the quality of animation please, because it irks me when dumb fans who know nothing about animation whine at me about the quality argument. To break it down, regular animation (cartoons) runs on 12 drawings per second (going up to 24 drawings per second for certain scenes). Anime runs usually on 6-8 drawings per second, and is sometimes bumped up to 12. This is a drop in quality of animation, the lag in movement is frustrating to the trained eye. Sure their moves may be more elaborate but they are generally unfluid and unappealing. Want to see beautiful animation? Check out James Baxter stuff or "Pyrats" a film by a group of students from Gobelins.

There's no doubt that animation outside of Japan is generally amazing. I checked out Pyrats and some James Baxter stuff, and it's incredible. But I think that anime has its own merit for the way it incorporates movement as well. Simply put, some of the flow is very original. In my opinion (as one who simply views, not animates), it's just a change in style. One isn't necessarily better than the other, and it all comes down to personal preference.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:38 am Reply with quote
I'm considering submitting a response to this week's question, so I think I'll curtail my comment in here somewhat, at least for the moment. I'm really not interested in Japanese culture at all, beyond reading Azrael's hilarious essays. What drew me to anime was the storytelling and (comparatively) mature-oriented themes I experienced in the first "real" series I saw; for all I cared, they could have been from Japan, Korea, Spain, or Djibouti, and that's still pretty much how I feel today.

As for last week's question, I've never really experienced any ridicule over anime outside of the home. I became a fan in college, and since I don't own any apparel or go around shouting in the streets, there's not really anyone who's aware of my fandom. The few "real-life" friends I have either know about my hobby and accept it (hell, I managed to drag my best friend to a screening of Paprika), or else remain blissfully ignorant. My closest "online" friends are all fellow anime fans (which is how we met in the first place), so there's no problem there. No, the place I experience it, and contrary to some others' statements, the place that stings the most, is from my own family members. They generally don't pay too much attention to my hobby, but I've heard more than my fair share of "those stupid shows that *insert my name here* watches," "that weird Japanese stuff," or the oh-so-asinine catch phrase of my one younger brother: "Japocrapo." I know there are any number of series and movies I've seen that one or all of them would enjoy, but they seem to have no willingness at all to even attempt to give it a shot. What's rather ironic is that all of my younger siblings are fans of Avatar to some degree or another. Go figure. I'd love to be able to share the joy that anime has brought me with them, but I don't see it happening that way in the foreseeable future.
petran79

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:21 am Reply with quote
Quote:
3. I'm not going to fool myself into thinking that it was ever some kind of non-commercial, all-about-the-art movement that was solely concerned with artistic integrity and quality storytelling, so I won't sit here and offer platitudes about how anime in the 90's was better than it is now, because I firmly believe that the garbage-to-gold ratio is the same now as it was then. You get one or two shows per season that don't suck and the rest are terrible. Difference is that back then all we got were the good shows. Now we get everything, by legit or non-legit means. So there's a sense that we now know the "truth" about anime - it's TV product. Some of it is incredible, some of it is entertaining, and a lot of it is trash. Just like American TV. And British TV. And Canadian TV. And Korean TV. And Chinese TV. And Australian TV. And so on and so on, ad infinity.

The only exception then and even today, are the public TV channels, a trait not found to that extent in the USA or Japan. So Canadian and British TV at least are a little different than American. if you looked at the cartoons and educational programms they broadcasted, they were completely different than the content of most private networks.

sometimes you can find there some good series for kids even today.

I would say that back then though there was bad anime,TV programms were good.

It certainly is a TV product and I am glad I was introduced to it from its good side and not from the later series that got many fans claiming this or that series is the best ever etc.
Swissman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:01 am Reply with quote
Ceru wrote:
At the same time however, it's important to note that we all also notice the low framerate and quality in anime compared to say, Disney or James Baxter or Dreamworks stuff. That goes without saying. Don't even bother to argue on the quality of animation please, because it irks me when dumb fans who know nothing about animation whine at me about the quality argument. To break it down, regular animation (cartoons) runs on 12 drawings per second (going up to 24 drawings per second for certain scenes). Anime runs usually on 6-8 drawings per second, and is sometimes bumped up to 12. This is a drop in quality of animation, the lag in movement is frustrating to the trained eye. Sure their moves may be more elaborate but they are generally unfluid and unappealing. Want to see beautiful animation? Check out James Baxter stuff or "Pyrats" a film by a group of students from Gobelins.

Well, elaborate moves with personal trademarks is their forte. It stems from an industry with dozens of years of experience in commercial limited animation and can't be denied simply by prefering the western rules of squash and strech nor copied after few years of studying at an animation college. This reminds me of David Encinas, a former student of the famous Les Gobelins who failed to pass the entrance test at Studio Ghibli in the mid-nineties for inbetween animation but was nevertheless picked by Miyazaki because of his enthusiasm.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ruro niko

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:05 am Reply with quote
I'm all for DVDs and also don't think they'll be going anywhere for a while. Sure, we'll eventually switch everything to blu-ray in many years to come, but that'll take a while. After all, the VHS didn't go away all that quickly. Even then, full on digital files only will be far into the future, if at all. They're nice at times, but if it's a series you really want to keep, you'd want a hard copy as well.

I thought the Hillary supporter jab was funny, and especially since it's an election year, I don't see a problem with it being said. It's poking fun at a relevant issue of the day.

Also liked the Worf gif at the end.
SalarymanJoe

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:19 am Reply with quote
Good column this week; it feels nice to have read it on Friday and not have a chance to post until Saturday and have the thread not be monstrously long, due to the same circular debates.

RE: Speed Racer: I'm probably the only person who's not seen a single full trailer for this movie. Irregardless, if I've got the time and money, I'd like to go check it out. Iron Man, though, my girlfriend is going to have to seriously convince me to go to that one.

RE: DVDs: Well, physical media is probably how this should be titled as we've established a winner, more or less, in the Hi-Def Format War. It doesn't change the point, really. I think that digital distribution and physical media can coexist with each other. Why not offer legitimate downloads at a reduced rate to people who don't care about discs and packaging; offer a nominal charge for collectors to upgrade their digital downloads to physical media, and streaming episodes for preview purposes in addition to purchasing the media as we know it today. I'm an advocate of more digital means for content providing, but part of that is that I spend so much time on a computer in a day, it has become second nature to watch things on my computer just as I do my television. But, even though I advocate more digital distribution, I'm big on having physical media, too; I mean, I still buy LaserDiscs of series that are hard to find/OOP here, had a different/difficult release here, or aren't released here at all. I also recently (December) acquired Robot Carnival, the Streamline Pictures edition, on VHS. I've still got a huge collection of VHS. So, just because physical medium looks like it may be on the out and out, I think it's going to be on the out and out for casual viewers and the revenue streams from it will be less, meaning that companies are going to have to reduce their print runs, perhaps doing in house printing to fulfill only the small amount they need to produce.

RE: Creative Fans I went through my phase of "I wanna work with the animus!!!!!1!!one" and, fortunately, it didn't take anyone else to ridicule my lack of ability to get me to change my mind. I had to write a paper about a future career option (it was supposed to be our future career option, but it has since changed for me) and I looked at doing something different and really enjoyed the idea. I did look at coming back to the anime industry for possible employment but this time as a translator and eventually decided my calling was elsewhere. So, I'm not one to immediately dismiss someone's idea (although Zac's right, the majority are about the trainwrecks that he described, if they're even that far fleshed out*) but it depends on what they're willing to do, how hard their willing to work, and they approach their goal with a level head then I'm more open to wish them luck. If this is the latest half-baked, starry-eyed dream of a teenager, then I think it's time to introduce them to the Board of Education - a 2x4 with the word 'Education' written on it.

The only parallel I can think of with other fandoms are the people who love to play video games and think that they can go to college, get a Computer Science Degree and march on off to Suqare/Enix and start work on Dragon Fantasy XVIII. But they get into the Comp. Sci program and realize that there's a lot of math, C can be difficult to write, and there are so many good games out there to play! Guess what usually wins out?

RE: Mindless Self Indulgence: Nice, concise answers. I really appreciate your summation to question 1.

RE: Flake: Only works if they get to vote the moe moe pedophile out of the house where he's taken in by Chris Hansen.

RE: Answerfans Art school snobs, plain and simple. A friend of mine (we went to high school and were in anime club together) ended up going to school for animation and she had experience a wide variety of resentment (and some praise) towards the medium, for a lot of the reasons that were presented in the Answerfans postings and in the thread. I guess though, it's not really unique to 'art students' per se but anytime you try to use an 'outside' medium in a different field - like trying to talk to pretentious film buffs about anime films; if you don't have the right examples or right wording then you'll get laughed out, even if your reasoning may be sound. And, god forbid something might be too popular or not esoteric enough - that's selling out, which as we all know, is heresy.

I found Sarah Hodge-Weatherbe's response telling because it seems to be an issue that's been around me but I never noticed. Another good friend of mine got into anime through Pokemon and re-runs of Sailormoon and her mom decided to see what else was out there and became a fan herself. It was a bit of a bonding point that her mom and I became friends as well and I met one of her mom's friends who was also into anime. So, I wonder, from our more seasoned anime fans, what are your experiences as you get older? For me, I consider it a non-issue because it very rarely comes up as one, say, at work. Though, I bet if I started setting Gundam wallpapers on my computers, then people might ask more about it. Likewise with school, my good friends know about my anime hobby but my classmates really don't. It's a wide variety of people, usually older, and a fair bit of ex-military and IT pros from when IT departments were first formed (even a couple girls, surprisingly enough), and I don't think any of them would be really interested in anime and again, it's never really come up. I guess what I'm getting at is does it become an issue because it's what you work with, because you ask for time off (cons and such; I usually just say I've got another thing I have to do) or does it spill out of personality?

I found Nathaniel Hsu's piece extremely entertaining! I know a guy from University who's also a console game fan. He's all about getting every old and new console he can, preferably in working order. Some of it is pretty slick, some of it gets downright annoying (video games is one of the three settings on his state-machine like brain), and some of it gets downright obsessive (those shoe holder racks that can hold many pairs of shoes that hang on the inside of closet doors? He's got one overflowing with controllers and accessories on the outside of a door).

Nathaniel Hsu wrote:
Here was a guy who needed his own room in the attic to have enough space for his hobby,

Actually, while that may sound disparaging, I look forward to having my own "hobby room" for model kits and board games (big fan of the old historical simulation games) that can be out and left alone by wandering hands from kids or a nosy wife. While I'd like a room like that for my anime and manga, seeing as my current girlfriend likes it too, it'll probably end up in and around the home theater type stuff as normal movies would, too. Of course, whenever we talk about the stuff we want to do with a house, we end up dedicating all of the spare/general use rooms for fun, playtime activities when we still need to dedicate our own bedroom and for eventual kids. Guess that's about the only good thing about not being able to afford a house right now.

RE: Japanese culture interest: It's hard to say for me. I got into anime because it was different and I liked it, not necessarily because it was Japanese. However, coupled with martial arts, it was a driving force behind learning the language, which invariably has culture tied into it. But I'm not all about learning about Japanese culture for the sake of learning about it; there's always been some ulterior motive. So, in that sense, it's a no. Culture's tied into why some things happen a certain way, or characters re-act a certain way, so when its foreign to you, it's good to learn about it to understand it, but to say I'm a fan of it in general would be misleading.

EDIT: There were other people I'd wish to reply to, but this ended up being much longer than anticipated. I understand if people look at it and say tl;dr.
Quark

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:55 am Reply with quote
[quote="SalarymanJoe"
I found Sarah Hodge-Weatherbe's response telling because it seems to be an issue that's been around me but I never noticed. Another good friend of mine got into anime through Pokemon and re-runs of Sailormoon and her mom decided to see what else was out there and became a fan herself. It was a bit of a bonding point that her mom and I became friends as well and I met one of her mom's friends who was also into anime. So, I wonder, from our more seasoned anime fans, what are your experiences as you get older? [/quote]

This is true of me, too. While my parents won't watch anime (the only cartoon my parents will even tolerate is King of the Hill) my boyfriends Mom is a big fan. She might actually have more anime DVDs than I do, but this is probably due to the fact that she doesn't research what she buys and just gets anything that looks cute. But just like your example above, she started watching it because her son was a big fan, and it just grew from there. Whenever she comes over to visit, she's right away into the shelves and asking me what's good, and we end up chatting about what series we're currently watching. We do have different tastes on the whole, but it's still nice that we do have that one thing in common.
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:58 am Reply with quote
I got my dad to watch Full Metal Alchemist with me, but he didn't like it and it didn't change his mind about anime. FMA just wasn't his type of show though. I should have tried something like Cowboy Bebop, but I didn't have it at the time. >.<
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Actually yeah, my fateful encounter with Princess Mononoke was the catalyst of my eventual interest in Japan. I was completely taken aback by a side of things I hadn't a clue of before, and I'm all the happier for it. My interest in Japanese culture is difficult to elaborate on, but I suppose everything Japanese is of some kind of curiosity to me.

If people pry into my interests and this comes up its generally met with either awe or alienation, sometimes both. I really don't know how to feel about that; it is kind of oddball. But then again its a disgusting notion to think that in order to be proper somehow you have to subscribe to more mainstream activities.

While I couldn't say living the rest of my life under the profile of a weirdo will be 100% smiles, there's not much to be done about one's identity other than to acknowledge it. Come on guys we matter too lol.
reanimator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:40 am Reply with quote
Mr. Toto wrote:
Ceru wrote:

There's no doubt that animation outside of Japan is generally amazing. I checked out Pyrats and some James Baxter stuff, and it's incredible. But I think that anime has its own merit for the way it incorporates movement as well. Simply put, some of the flow is very original. In my opinion (as one who simply views, not animates), it's just a change in style. One isn't necessarily better than the other, and it all comes down to personal preference.

After reading Ceru's argument, I do agree that Western animation have better representation of motion. I also agree that many ignorant fans cast one sided judgment without understanding of technical side. I also think that Ceru's statement was a bit myopic. Why? He (she) regarded fluid animation done in high FPS is the best way to measure animation. Now let's talk about technical side of animation a bit. Is high frame rate animation good animation? Not always. Here's character or object that moves 24 fps. If its expression was bad, awkward, or unnecessary, then that's wasted effort right there. Good animation is not just about how smooth it moves. It's about the right expression with good draftsmanship, staging, gesture, and timing.

For audience who don't quite understand behind the scene matters, talking about animation FPS and other technical matters are a bit elitist to non-animator person. Anime does wonderful job with its entertaining and graphic nature, but many people have no idea how labor intensive the animation production process is. Thanks to easy access through internet, a lot people can get access on how anime is made. Unfortunately most people are just passively content with their daily fix of anime with easy access. Few people have true appreciation for anime as a part of the big world of animated film making.
ilkz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Anime fan or devotion to any particular hobby are not equivalent to losers, those who disrespect to once who like something they thought no interest in are no better than the once they against. Such behavior is a sign that they them self were also brainwashed by superficial entertainment in a different form, because the more nerdy you are the more you likely or eager to criticize peoples belong to the different nerdy subject. It made me laugh that some of those high schoolers who own quad core + 2*88xxGT + HD stuffs spend >90% of their life on video game will shamelessly classify everyone else as N00bz... yea... I am one of the N00bs in computer engineering at UofI...

Anime is different compare to western animation or live action films. It is one of motion picture or comic (in case of manga) form that nether superior nor inferior to its counterparts. To me, western animation are superior in FPS and adoption of technology, (although majority of 3D animation still produced in the Disney style, we can expect sooner or later it will advance on more adult and mature subjects like what we have seen in video games and animes.) and they are equal in terms of characterization and story telling, I am not going to argue with this one, both have their master pieces and trashes tied. What made anime unique is something subconsciously recognized by anime fans but so far none of them emitted it directly: Anime is the art of genders, genders not bound to physical sex and not polarized. We see more verity of gender subjects directly or indirectly from anime more than any other medium. There are films tired to explore the subject but they all marginalized in their own medium, only in anime, gender topic is the main stream, everything else has to step aside. In conclusion, anime is not perfect but it has mastered the gender expression way beyond any other medium and that’s the unrealized fact that keeps the fandom alive.

I am not a stereotype anime fan most people tent to think. I have a very conservative personality more so than many people criticize anime fan, I do not collect figures and other useless things fans had, I buy dvds in the legal and economic way, and only devote my interest in a limited number of titles of hard core si-fi, fantasy, etc (I cannot stand shows like S-moon or DBZ, nertoz…*_____*) but what made me love anime is my bizarre gender preference, gender that do not bound to physical sex, gender that represented in a spiritual and respective way not simply gay.

Technology issue again. Wink Digital distribution… I think it’s a wonderful idea but not a wonderful reality yet. I do not care about showing my collection; I arrange my dvds in a compact and organized Japanese style. All I want from digital distribution is legal download, safe transaction, high quality format, accessibility (play on computer or TV), and robust efficient storage medium.

I love to design my own anime charters, story, plot, and improve my skill in drawing, I like to show my friends but never attempt to publish them, hell that’s ridiculous ||Anime smile. May be some day I can create something worth to be printed but not now. I agree with Zac on most issues, I think he only criticize those kid had their mind too open so their brain fall out.

Zac, I think you have a quite potential idea: (the brilliant series about mechs piloted by twelve angsty teens with elemental magic powers and also three of them are gay) this one will work if its correctly implemented but again that’s the hard part. Arrow [/i]
Ceru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:03 pm Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:
Mr. Toto wrote:
Ceru wrote:

After reading Ceru's argument, I do agree that Western animation have better representation of motion. I also agree that many ignorant fans cast one sided judgment without understanding of technical side. I also think that Ceru's statement was a bit myopic. Why? He (she) regarded fluid animation done in high FPS is the best way to measure animation. Now let's talk about technical side of animation a bit. Is high frame rate animation good animation? Not always. Here's character or object that moves 24 fps. If its expression was bad, awkward, or unnecessary, then that's wasted effort right there. Good animation is not just about how smooth it moves. It's about the right expression with good draftsmanship, staging, gesture, and timing.

For audience who don't quite understand behind the scene matters, talking about animation FPS and other technical matters are a bit elitist to non-animator person. Anime does wonderful job with its entertaining and graphic nature, but many people have no idea how labor intensive the animation production process is. Thanks to easy access through internet, a lot people can get access on how anime is made. Unfortunately most people are just passively content with their daily fix of anime with easy access. Few people have true appreciation for anime as a part of the big world of animated film making.

Nice, you got me Wink. Yup, no one likes jitteriness! Which is why I'm more interested in the fluidity of movement. My God, I wish I could remember the link but I visited a blog that had James Baxter pencil tests for Sinbad on it. Oh my god. They were just... wow. I mean granted, I am being unfair by comparing American features to Japanese cartoons but I do truly prefer the western way. I'm not a fan of rubberhose or too much squash and stretch (I'd gouge out my eyes before I had to sit through any more of John K) but I am a fan of subtle stuff. My friend is working on a short animated piece. There's a scene where his character is leaning against the wall and notices something... something about the way said character's torso leads the action, with extremely subtle curiosity, is extremely beautiful. Becuase anime has perfected the art of limited animation, little details like this are abadoned, they're superfluous. Conversations are holds and flapping mouths and while once upon a time I didn't care, the more I improve in the art of speaking animation the more anime will bother me in that regard. Give me facial expressions, anime! And not just when the main character's lover or family member dies and we're treated to the obligatory wide-eyed tiny-pupiled stunned look of the mourning person.
hogkill3

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:56 pm Reply with quote
when the japanese men laughed at you, you should have whipped it out. then we'd see who laughs.

oh lol. on further Megan Hawkes is a girl's name.
my bad lol.
...well you still should have whipped it out...
jajuka

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
PRIMETIME GOLD

here is my idea, what do you think, A reality show that has anime fans in a house and they all watch shows and then talk about the shows.

That would get cancelled 5 minutes into the pilot broadcast. Nobody cares what nerds think about cartoons. I'm a living example of that.

It could work, but:
- It would have to be animated, therefore not realty tv
(too bad Genshiken did it already but they only talked about a
fake anime. )
- Only fans would find it funny
- What would you do for sweeps? (Eva fan kills Yaoi fan based on Shinji theory?)
- Sci-fi or G4TV would be the only network remotely interested in broadcasting such a thing. (And it wouldn't be just anime fans by the time the pilot came out. Which WOULD be interesting.. for 5 mins.)
- Would you stick around to watch a heated debate about the legitimacy of "Yakitate! Japan" as informational anime or entertainment anime?
Doc Tater

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:20 am Reply with quote
Whew! It's been yonks since I posted; where'd all the time go?

Anyway, in response to this week's Answerfans, I'd have to say no. Sure, anime's a part of my leisure life, but as an advertisement for Japan? Not for me, but neither it is a discouragement either. Anime's just another form of entertainment for me, and if the Warhammer 40K franchise didn't make me want to visit England, how could anime persuade me that visiting Glorious Nippon is the first and last thing I want to do with my life?

That being said, I'd have to say that it may mostly depend on local culture anyway! Take me for example; while you palefaces are obsessed with the Land of the Rising Sun, I'm over here in Malaysia drooling at the thought of wearing a Prussian uniform. While bleary-eyed gaijin pore over their Japanese Language books, I'm busy working my gelatinous rear off for German lessons (preferably with a good, Northern German accent). And while Westerners think the katana is the bees knees, I'd give you two of those oversized sushi knives for a good, solid zweihander any day. Samurai code of honour? Please- any true hero worth the name follows the codes of chivalry!

Basically, it's simply the lure of the exotic. Trust me, I'm not the only Asian who feels this way.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7