• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 2 Alabama 6th-Grade Boys Arrested for Death Note Book

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jozoiscute

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:18 pm Reply with quote
This is the THIRD ONE!!!
WHY do people keep doing this?!?!?!
You'd think they'd learn the FIRST time.....

Anime dazed Anime dazed Anime dazed
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:30 pm Reply with quote
DonQuigleone wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
You obviously didn't have the internet, or various video games, DS, or PSP when you were in school then?

People didn't tend to play those in school, though there were a good few nerds and whatnot, those always seemed like something you'd do on a plane, we usually played card games

That takes me back. Some friends and I used to play Magic (Well, Star Wars CCG) during lunchtime. The school put the kibosh on that on the suspicion that it supported gambling. A friend wanted me to write an article for the school paper protesting it, but it was March of my senior year when that happened, and with me out of school for good in two months, I didn't give a crap.

It wouldn't have mattered anyway, though. The next year MS-13 moved into town and starting causing trouble. A year or so later, the administration tried to quell things by bringing in a hard-line superintendent who essentially turned the school into a police state. That's not hyperbole. Well okay, it is, but not as much as you think. She fired the security department, brought in new, intimidating guards, essentially locked down the grounds during school hour, and disbanded the school paper. The last of which compelled my sister to write a satirical underground version which was used to turn the PTA against the new super. Bad times.

I had left high school behind me by that time, but I heard stories. One that stays with me is that the new super had locked off a gate in an eight-foot fence that separated the school grounds from the road. It was used as a shortcut in and out, sometimes by students, but usually by teachers heading to catch the train home. Shortly after the gate was padlocked Mr. Powers, either out of overt protest or simple impatience/frustration, threw his briefcase over the fence and scaled it. Mr. Powers was a 55-year old Social Studies teacher who had been out half my junior year with heart problems. Anime smile

Ah, high school... the best of times, the worst of times.
Turkishproverb

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
GATSU wrote:
fighter: Yes, but they didn't really commit any crimes.

Quote:
Etowah County Superintendent of Education Mike Bailey issued a news release that said that the students were suspended from the county's schools, pending a juvenile court hearing.

i don't know it looks like they are still going to juenile court. They must do more than just write down names. Unless write down people's names in a note book is illegal now in U.S.

Legal Term: Terrorist threatening

It is used against kids in these situations and the "Video game is like our school" situation alot.

IT almost never gets a conviction, due to sheer improability of threat in the situations its used, but they have the police find or in some cases fake a bail violation while the kids out in his parents custody to ensure the student still gets criminally charged with something.

the Rancorous wrote:
Spotlesseden wrote:
They must do more than just write down names. Unless write down people's names in a note book is illegal now in U.S.

It is illegal, because it counts as a hit list. Listing the names of people whom you don't like in a notebook, sheet of paper, website, etc. counts as a hit list. Do any of you remember Columbine? Ever since then schools have taken things like that very seriously and rightly so. Even if these kids were just messing around and had no intention on doing anything to the people on their lists, they still made a hit list which is grounds for action taken against them. I mean, if someone told you that they werre going to kill you and you had no way of knowing whether or not they were serious, would you really wait until they actually tried? I sure wouldn't. In the end, these kids did something stupid and are paying the price for said stupidity. I for one am glad that the school system and law are doing their job at making sure their kids remain safe.

And, a highschool senior immitating a cartoon? That kid must have one pitiful life! Confused

Erm. The hitlist defense only applies on a criminal level (juvenile court) if they have reasonable suspicion of intent to actually do something. IF they can find no evidence of intent to act on it, legally they aren't supposed to even charge people (not that that stops them, see above)

Last edited by Turkishproverb on Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
Prodigiosus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:46 pm Reply with quote
This may seem like a stupid question, but why the hell do these kids keep taking these things to school? I don't recall Light HAVING to take the Death Note to school with him. In fact, I think I DISTINCTLY remember him leaving it at home and going about his school business as usual. I'm not saying these kids should be writing this stuff, but if they insist on being this ridiculous, why don't they do it in the privacy of their own homes?
midori kou

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:07 pm Reply with quote
I'm not going to argue how Death Note is not real. We all know that here. We're anime/manga fans who are simply aware about the series and associate those kids' actions to "dumb" behavior. So explaining whether THAT is redundant.

The real issue is whether this list actually means anything. There's a reason, an intent, behind it. This matter is left unexplained why they did it. Was it for fun? Were they frusrated? What was it? We really don't know. We don't know these kids. While it is obvious that the article mentions how they were influenced by the series to do this, these kids may have done something else if the series didn't come into existance. Feelings of aminosity towards people have been around before the series. It just have taken another form.

While I believe that the authorities took the matter appropriately to protect the staff and students, arresting the kids will not erase the matter that there are people like them who severely despise others amongst them. It enforces the idea that these kids don't need help, that they are a hopeless cause. The community met with the sheriff and the junior probation officer, but the article didn't clearly mention if it was to inform them about the incident or to bring similar issues to the public eye. I surely hope it was a town meeting to keep the community informed about these things. From kids fighting at school to 3rd graders banding together to kill their teacher, everyone should be aware of how to handle each manner. They have every right to.
nooneofconsequence

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:18 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Quote:
and if temporarily arresting a student with a list so that they can look further into it and see if their really is any danger will help prevent even a few school shootings then I'm all for it.

How about making it tougher for them to have guns? Rolling Eyes

You do realize it is illegal to sell handguns to anyone under 21 in most states, and most long guns for those under 18? Even if a kid initially lies about their age, the required Federal Background Check will more than likely bring their true age to light. Of course in some states like NY you have to apply for a purchase permit, and more draconian others like CA have banned a lot of types of firearms.

---

Let's face it, no school administrator wants to list on his or her resume that they have experience in handling school shootings outside of training seminars, and not to mention have so many other issues and duties an administrator has to deal with. I don't think they want to take a chance with their students bringing "Death Notes" to school, especially if they actually research what Death Note is, though I wouldn't be surprised if a trade publication hasn't already mentioned the issue.

So here's the take aways...

1. Listing names in a replica Death Note is the new "yelling "Fire" in a movie theater" for school districts. No one outside of anime fandom is going give a $&!t for your first amendment rights when you write a hit list, in jest or not, in a book whose fictional equivalent kills those listed in it.

2. Kids shouldn't bring their Death Notes to school.

3. Shounen Jump is an evil publication that produces mindless hordes of fans who do stupid things and make bad cosplay choices at cons.
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
Quote:
Etowah County Superintendent of Education Mike Bailey issued a news release that said that the students were suspended from the county's schools, pending a juvenile court hearing.

i don't know it looks like they are still going to juenile court. They must do more than just write down names. Unless write down people's names in a note book is illegal now in U.S.
unless you write down names in a way that can easily be interpreted as a death list. what are people supposed to think if they see a list of names in something called a "death note" especially if they're unfamiliar with the series. add in the fact even if they know about it depending on how it's done it still could indicate a possible threat (especially if the kid writing it has behavior that indicates some level of instability) and it's still something worth reacting to even then.
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Again. There need to be a PDA about doing stuff like this. Anyone got a webcam? Rolling Eyes
BunnyCupCakes

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Prodigiosus wrote:
This may seem like a stupid question, but why the hell do these kids keep taking these things to school? I don't recall Light HAVING to take the Death Note to school with him. In fact, I think I DISTINCTLY remember him leaving it at home and going about his school business as usual. I'm not saying these kids should be writing this stuff, but if they insist on being this ridiculous, why don't they do it in the privacy of their own homes?

Agreed.
School isn't really a smart place to bring such a notebook.
Or hide the darn thing in your closet or put it in some safe so they won't get in trouble at home either.

It's like people are starting to suck at hiding things =.=;;
Labbes

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Not that I think of it as great or something, I think such behavior is really bad and is a sign of a bad character...but the laws there might be a bit questionable.
I mean, what's a hit list? If I write down three names of people in my class, could I be punished for that? I guess everyone will agree with me when I say that such a legislation is plain dumb and not securing anyone's security. Well, they will learn. At least I am happy Germany is off that track Smile
midori kou

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:53 pm Reply with quote
A hit list is pretty subjective based on the context, in this case a "Death" Note.
hurricanefransee

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:17 pm Reply with quote
damn kids are getting ridiculous. if your gonna make a death note whatever but leave the thing a home. it would be like a kid loving bleach and carrying around a wooden sword. i swear if they keep doing stupid stuff like this and Thomson starts getting on the anime community im gonna be pissed.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:27 pm Reply with quote
BunnyCupCakes wrote:
Prodigiosus wrote:

Agreed.
School isn't really a smart place to bring such a notebook.
Or hide the darn thing in your closet or put it in some safe so they won't get in trouble at home either.

It's like people are starting to suck at hiding things =.=;;

You don't really think of it, I'm pretty sure they thought it was an "Awesome" thing to do, by bring their fantasy into a somewhat mediocore reality. It really kills me how they can say "Terrorist threat" when these kids are only 11 (I believe that's the age 6th graders are in)? Would they be able to actually check out the behavior of these kids, to determine such a big statement?

This also is contradicting somewhat, especially when the sheriff had state it was most likely a joke. -_-;

On a side note, I feel that their age really is young to understand the concept of such a series like this (content, people), so they probably knew "shinigami," "deathnote," "light," "death."

.....If they knew anymore than that, I'd be surprised. So...even if this show airs at 12:30am EST, that doesn't stop these kids from watching it.
Daemonblue

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:30 pm Reply with quote
hurricanefransee wrote:
damn kids are getting ridiculous. if your gonna make a death note whatever but leave the thing a home. it would be like a kid loving bleach and carrying around a wooden sword. i swear if they keep doing stupid stuff like this and Thomson starts getting on the anime community im gonna be pissed.

Oh, you don't have to worry about Jack Thompson, he was banned from bringing up his own cases in court. Now he has to get another lawyer Anime hyper
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:42 pm Reply with quote
xD really? When did that happen?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8