• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Registration Opens at N. America's Only 21+ Anime Con

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arcwave

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Leebo wrote:

I don't know if you're being facetious or not, but that kind of self-entitlement seems a little over-the-top. No one is required to let everyone attend a privately organized event.

Hehe, I saw that one coming. Perhaps the context of what I said was a little stupid. But anywho, I still believe that the 21 and over policy is very subjective. 18 - 25 is the largest age demographic of anime/manga people... and to single out that three year difference is selfish IMO. But whatever, they have the right to do it; I just disagree.
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Arcwave wrote:

Hehe, I saw that one coming. Perhaps the context of what I said was a little stupid. But anywho, I still believe that the 21 and over policy is very subjective. 18 - 25 is the largest age demographic of anime/manga people... and to single out that three year difference is selfish IMO. But whatever, they have the right to do it; I just disagree.

I *really* hope this does not get taken out of context, but at the Anime Boston panel, the organizers did mention that the age restriction would make it a lot easier for them to do alcohol-related events. This is not to say that the whole thing will be a booze-fest, just that, they won't have to card people before entering panels or whatever.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Providence Anime Conference FAQ wrote:

-Can I buy Pocky, ramune, or other snacks at the conference?
-No. Convention center policies prohibit the sale or distribution of food and drinks except by the convention center's catering service.

Whoopie, $5 pizza slices and $3 cans of pop. Rolling Eyes

I think the idea of limiting a convention to 21+ is silly. 18+ would be understandable if the con was showcasing adult material, but there's no reason to raise the age limit any higher unless drinking is involved. I'd recommend against alcohol-related events if they want to be taken seriously.
Fletchen

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:13 pm Reply with quote
CorneredAngel wrote:
I *really* hope this does not get taken out of context, but at the Anime Boston panel, the organizers did mention that the age restriction would make it a lot easier for them to do alcohol-related events. This is not to say that the whole thing will be a booze-fest, just that, they won't have to card people before entering panels or whatever.

I'm really looking forward to PAC. As much as I've enjoyed Anime Boston, I think it'll be nice to have a smaller, specifically anime-focused con for adults.
Teuvan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:20 pm Reply with quote
keynote address instead of an opening ceremony

Things are already sounding like a blast.

a costume fashion show rather than a contest

Given how full of fail the cosplay contests I've attended have been, I can see the reasoning behind this. Still, I would hope that it's not purely about costuming ability, because that would definitely be pretty dull.

live-action programming based around professional and academic panels

The terms "professional" and "academic" seem to get thrown around here a lot, and that can't be a good thing. I suspect they're going to enforce a theme of "ANIME IS SERIOUS BUSINESS" a bit too much at this thing...

items that are not normally available at stores or online

This, I like a lot. A whole lot. It's annoying as hell to have to scan through all the generic/crappy vendors at conventions to get to the good stuff. Give me one guy with a box of stuff from Comiket in place of 40 people trying to sell English DVDs and overpriced T-shirts, and I'll be happy.

The basic three-day pass is priced at US$65.00 for the first 250 people who register. The price will then increase until the convention's attendance cap is reached.

Ah ha oh wow. $65 to attend an experimental convention that's in its first year, and the price will apparently only go up from there... I wonder exactly how many people will show up.
Vortextk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:07 am Reply with quote
Neat idea. I didn't have enough money even for something like Megacon this year so a 2+ hour flight is out of the question. I just barely make the cut off age at 22 and it's stupid of me to say "oh my GOD I just hate all the teenagers around most the time!", I was just a teenager a bit ago, but if anything it might spawn something that's different from other cons. Different is good, usually.

I don't see the big deal in pricing either. How much it will go up is up in the air as I haven't checked if that is listed, so there's a possibility it could be a lot. However, the initial 65 doesn't seem that steep though. Megacon was like 22 for 1 day both years I attended, and while I realize it probably was cheaper than 22 x 3 for a 3 day pass(which I think how long Megacon is), there isn't that significant of a difference when you have such a small venue planned. I have very little con experience but 2000 seems tiny, and you need to recoup costs somehow. My high school had more people.

Last edited by Vortextk on Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Leebo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:40 am Reply with quote
Vortextk wrote:
How much it will go up is up in the air as I haven't checked if that is listed, so there's a possibility it could be a lot. However, the initial 65 doesn't seem that steep though.

I believe it's $70 for registrants 251-1000 and $75 for the last 1000.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:42 am Reply with quote
Even though I turned 21 this year, I don't think i'd enjoy a con geared towards 21 year olds and older. to me, it seems like it'd be adult swim. (Like, actual swimming)

Something about the age restrcition is unsettling. Unless the'yre going tp spray the walls with sake and beer, its not worth it for me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:15 am Reply with quote
I have mixed feelings towards the 21+ requirement. The most amazing convention I have ever gone to was Worldcon 2002 (I really wanted to go to 2007 which was in Yokohama) which feels like an industry convention aimed towards adults. It seemed primarily centered around various authors philosophizing and debating their novels with others in their field. Perhaps the most memorable moment was attending the Hugo awards ceremony (where everyone besides me were formally dressed) and seeing Neil Gaiman go up on stage to accept his award. I think Worldcon doesn't have as many kids attending since this year's pre-reg prices are already up to $200 (at door prices have not been announced) and 09 in Quebec's are already at $190. The convention is well worth it though since I found the panels by Lois Bujold, George R R Martin, Vernor Vinge, Catherine Asaro, Frederick Pohl, Kage Baker and many others very memorable. It really felt as though almost all my favorite authors were there.

I think in order to have a more professional anime convention the convention should likewise charge more so that they can have a huge guest list and make it the con's focus. The convention should also make sure that representatives from all the studios and publishers attend. I like the idea of a trade show for the anime industry which is tailored to people who are interested in working in the industry and retailers.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:26 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It will run at the Rhode Island Convention Center and the adjacent Providence Westin Hotel on October 3-5.

....For a 21+ con, i'd at least expect to be in California or Las Vegas, not in the smallest state in the union.
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:43 am Reply with quote
RMC wrote:
It isn't disdain and ageism. I'm 22 myself and I'm a part of the college-age crowd. I was just recently a teenager and I work with teenagers quite often in my line of work...

I seriously doubt it would degenerate into a gathering of hostile elitists. More likely it'll be a combination of people but I'm hoping a lot of parents show up to it.

Oh no that wasn't targetted at you, it was just something I'd seen in other threads on cons by older fans and it was a vibe I was starting to get from this one. Sorry about that. And I think you're right, this may be a good idea for parents as well as educators. And a really good chance for youngin's like us to interact with older fans in a laid-back atmosphere.

SalarymanJoe wrote:
In a way, I kinda agree. I'd like to see a very good, representative balance between major age groups. I think where some of the disconnect in the "cries of ageism" may stem from are in part of the generalities of age but also in the "old school fan" and "internet meme convention" type of fan; those really aren't restricted to age but more when someone got into fandom and how they were exposed to it.

Thank you for pointing that out to me and I think you're right, just as much as age effects these things, "experience" as a fan probably does too.

The more I read, the more I'm actually looking forward to this. I think, having only gone to a few cons (such as Otakon), I'm not really sure how to imagine something like this.
SalarymanJoe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:58 am Reply with quote
Teuvan wrote:

live-action programming based around professional and academic panels

The terms "professional" and "academic" seem to get thrown around here a lot, and that can't be a good thing. I suspect they're going to enforce a theme of "ANIME IS SERIOUS BUSINESS" a bit too much at this thing...

Yeah, they are and that's their goal. I disagree, because I think it is a good thing. For someone who this is a hobby of mine, I like the whole 'SERIOUS BUSINESS' feeling. I can sit back and joke with my friends about anime at any time; if I'm putting money up for a convention, I want something 'to show' for it. Getting out and meeting people is a part of it, seeing guests is a part of it, but I also like to hear about the industry and some of their business thinking (especially when they are in trouble). Academic, I'd give it a shot.

If that's not your thing, then cool. Someone who doesn't want this sort of programming at a con and then going to PAC would be like me going to Cosplay Fest or some other inclined event. An event like that isn't designed for me in mind because I'm not that demographic.

Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
I think the idea of limiting a convention to 21+ is silly. 18+ would be understandable if the con was showcasing adult material, but there's no reason to raise the age limit any higher unless drinking is involved. I'd recommend against alcohol-related events if they want to be taken seriously.

I don't think this is going to turn into Booze-a-rama; I agree, if they want to be taken seriously as a professional conference, then the alcohol consumption will be limited to a couple of events and attendees who wish to grab a drink at the hotel bars and restaurants.

I don't know, I think people are stressing the age restriction too much but at the same time, it's unheard of for an event to restrict an entire event by age on subject matter that's not required by law. I guess my question to people who are against the age restriction, would you be interested in attending an event that treats anime as a professional business and academic pursuit? A lot of the time when I see panels that deal with these subject matters, I typically see the age bracket scaled up, so I'm wondering if the limit placed by PAC isn't just enforcing their own expected demographic.
Zoe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:06 pm Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
Something about the age restrcition is unsettling. Unless the'yre going tp spray the walls with sake and beer, its not worth it for me.

That sounds more like something the under 21 crowd has been doing.
HSaabedra

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:40 pm Reply with quote
As someone who just got back from an industry convention (CTIA), I can say that I wholeheartedly support this idea of a more business and academically oriented convention about anime.

I will echo the sentiment that it be treated as more of a conventional industry convention with more keynote speeches and more panels regarding the industry as a whole rather than just an anime con with just 21+ people for the sake of allowing drinking and more adult material.

Since CTIA was also only three days in length, I suspect many people will be busy figuring out what to do and see.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Arcwave wrote:
Leebo wrote:

Were you really going to fly across the country for this?

No, definitely not. I just think it's a little absurd about the age restriction. Yes, I am 19, and I wouldn't be able to go... but still, I think something like age shouldn't limit someone from attended an event that they harbor most precious to them. Now, alcohol and drugs are another story... but anime? Common people! Is their going to be hentai? Heh (wait.. you can be 18 to watch that, wtf?)
You'll understand better when you live to be 21. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4