• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Guilty Crown Episodes 1-5 Streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:38 pm Reply with quote
hissatsu01 wrote:
Somehow I don't think that means what you think it means

dtm42 wrote:
I do not think that means what you think it means.

My bad. I should have said tabula rasa instead.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:03 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
My bad. I should have said tabula rasa instead.

Uh huh. As several people have pointed out though, your word choice is hardly the only problem with the claims you're making.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:16 am Reply with quote
I fail to see what's wrong with viewing a show as it stands on its own rather than focusing on how it's too similar to, or not similar enough to, some other unrelated show.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:29 am Reply with quote
This show is absolutely terrible and I wouldn't recommend it to anybody. I can't wait to watch episode six.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:34 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
I fail to see what's wrong with viewing a show as it stands on its own rather than focusing on how it's too similar to, or not similar enough to, some other unrelated show.

Don't try to shift the goal posts. What's wrong is telling us all that we're shouldn't have vaguely high standards when it comes to anime. It's wrong for a half dozen reasons. Namely, the half dozen reasons everyone just pointed out to you:

dtm42 wrote:
Of course not. But I do expect a certain level of quality. It's up to consumers to have minimum standards, otherwise we'll keep on being inundated with crap

hissatsu01 wrote:
So if you watch it and think it's very pretty, but it makes your eyes roll several times per episode, you're just not seeing it for what it is. And if you don't think the adventures of one of the whiniest, most self-pitying male leads to come in quite a while and the singing girl robot/overpowered weapon dispenser are all that interesting, you're also not seeing it for what it is.

ikillchicken wrote:
It's hardly a binary issue. Yeah, it would be a waste to let a shows flaws and your own expectations of perfection put you off of what it still a very good show. However, Guilty Crown is neither perfect nor even good. It's mediocre at best. Not even really. That is what I'm saying. This idea that we shouldn't set higher expectations of any kind is crazy. If you choose to set low standards just to avoid disappointment then that's one thing but don't presume to tell me I'm wrong for not being willing to settle for mediocrity.
Konopan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:59 am Reply with quote
If we're going to move away from how laughably cliched Guilty Crown is, and discuss expectations for the series, how could anyone have high expectations from a director who's only worked on manga adaptations and a screenwriter whose quality of work ranges from Dance in the Vampire Bund to Xenoglossia (you know, that other Idolm@ster anime) to Seikon no Quaser? Did you just expect good writing and character construction to fall out of the sky when you heard the words IG Production, Redjuice, and Supercell were going to be sewing together a money pig together?
(The whole noitaminA part is sadly meaningless these days.)

I'm satisfied with Guilty Crown, but I can't help but admit it is by no means looking towards being a memorable series, barring some unforseen twists and turns (to be frank, it's really been kind of shitty given the potential to be an at least decent Eureka Seven derivative). Despite that, it shouldn't be disappointing people as much as it seems to be. As rancid a pedigree it might seem to be, it's doing its job keeping this show alive, if not being entertaining in some forms.
maaya

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:13 am Reply with quote
Konopan wrote:
how could anyone have high expectations

I can only speak for myself, but I'm usually expecting something good from Noitamina series. But well, recently their quality has been going slightly down for me, from now on I won't be expecting as much anymore ... Chihayafuru is the Noitamina series of the season.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:28 am Reply with quote
KentaMaeba wrote:

I'm already shedding tears.............. from the gross misspelling! Laughing

Vaisaga wrote:
KentaMaeba wrote:
Forgiving much?

You should try it, you'll have a lot more fun that way. I can only imagine how many years of entertainment I'd have missed out on if I cared how cliched something was.

I can only imagine how many years of the boob tube you have not missed out on. Wink
KentaMaeba

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:07 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken's got a major point here. I've said this before to many people - "remember that as anime fans, we can't keep calling incompetence as brilliance, and must note flaws when they're noticeable."

Enjoying just about any anime we watch is alright, but really, is it too much to ask for higher quality anime series? By enjoying the things that make anime great, we can potentially convince animators to produce more top-notch anime titles. After all, I doubt anyone here would want to stick to watching crap and cash-ins for the next decades or so.

Guilty Crown is, at best, mediocre, and still has a bit to go before becoming as brilliant as other series this season, like "Future Diary" and "Persona 4".
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:49 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Don't try to shift the goal posts. What's wrong is telling us all that we're shouldn't have vaguely high standards when it comes to anime. It's wrong for a half dozen reasons. Namely, the half dozen reasons everyone just pointed out to you:

I never said you had to have low expectations. I said you should have no expectations. It's not fair to the work if you go into it expecting it to set the world on fire and then critisize it when it doesn't. Say your boy/girlfriend says they'll make you dinner. You go to their house expecting to be fed a full course meal complete with a big juicey steak, but instead they feed you some simple pasta dish. Even if the pasta is good, it's still not what you're expecting and then you critisize your girl/boyfriend for feeding you something derivative.

If the pasta is disgusting, that's a completely different matter. No one is saying you have to watch crap. If you don't like it, don't watch it. But critisizing it for being 'good' rather than being 'amazing' is not fair. It's okay to only be 'good.' 'Good' is still enjoyable.

Whether you think it's good or not is a matter of opinion. I think Guilty Crown is really good and I can't wait for the next episode. You might disagree and that's fine, but do so because of the show's own problems, not because it didn't reach the high bar you arbitrarily set for it. If you set the bar at an average level and it still fails, that's how you know a show is bad.
jl07045

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I said you should have no expectations.

No expectations means no interest. And your analogy doesn't work because unlike a meal at another person's house you choose your own entertainment. While I know there are some people who simply go through almost every new show every season, most people choose to watch only shows that have caught their eye. Of course they will have expectations about them. And if those expectations aren't met either quality or content-wise people are disappointed.

Your defensiveness is not well-grounded. No one is going in expecting the best thing ever unless they fall victim to a massive hype. Instead everyone has their own principles about what they want out of their entertainment and they will evaluate the show accordingly.
reksveks

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:26 pm Reply with quote
think the thread got a "little" off track but thats what happens in a forum.

On Guilty Crown, I think the review is largely correct. You start the anime and first 2 major things thats hits you are the quality of the animations and the cliches. Its is a B rated anime that could have been a bit more if it tried to be more unique. The score only really hit me in one place, and thats the action scene when Shu gets his anti-grav gun (though that could have be a combination of the visual as well as the audio). Don't really give two cents about the characters.

I will probably watch a few more; hoping the storyline beefs up a bit and to be honest still watch it until the end for the visuals if i don't forget about it(i am such a tool i know)
blackseer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:53 pm Reply with quote
KentaMaeba wrote:

Guilty Crown is, at best, mediocre, and still has a bit to go before becoming as brilliant as other series this season, like "Future Diary" and "Persona 4".

Again, your examples fails you. Persona 4 isn't a good anime, although it was a great game. It started really well, but fell short after three episodes. Mirai Nikki is debateble. Many loved it at first (I included), but it's slowly showing its ugly face and desire to be just a fleeting sensation.

If you wanted good examples of great anime from this season, the best choices are Fate/Zero and ChiharaFuyu, and even those can be arguable.
vinamara

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Largely agree with the review but the grade on story is too forgiving. This anime lets you assume a lot of things happened off-screen and moves on with the story disregarding any integrity. Even the little pity earning scene in the latest episode (6) was badly done. Why would anyone care about some unknown dying?

And the buddy-bonding scene between Shu and Gai was idiotic.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Say your boy/girlfriend says they'll make you dinner. You go to their house expecting to be fed a full course meal complete with a big juicey steak, but instead they feed you some simple pasta dish. Even if the pasta is good, it's still not what you're expecting and then you critisize your girl/boyfriend for feeding you something derivative.

That's a terrible analogy. Firstly, everyone has to eat. It's a biological need. Sure, you may eat for pleasure given the opportunity but most of the time it's going to be because you have to rather than because you actively want to. Hence, so long as it's passable, that will be just fine. I don't have to consume anime. I do it because I want to. If a show isn't actually something good, something that actually makes me want to watch it, then why should I watch it?

Secondly, obviously, if someone, especially a boyfriend or girlfriend, is nice enough to make you dinner then you should just be grateful. They're doing you a favor. Hell, even if the food is terrible, let alone mediocre, you should just be polite and eat it. Are you honestly going to claim that the anime industry is "doing us a favor" just by making anime though? That we should all just "shut up and eat what they serve". I hope not.

Quote:
You might disagree and that's fine, but do so because of the show's own problems, not because it didn't reach the high bar you arbitrarily set for it. If you set the bar at an average level and it still fails, that's how you know a show is bad.

See, now you're just contradicting yourself. You tell me I'm wrong to go into a show expecting it to be good and to criticize it when it's not. That rather, I "should have no expectations". However, right here, you yourself admit that you do exactly what I do. You don't go into a show with "no expectations" at all. You go in expecting it to be at least average and are perfectly willing to criticize it when it's not. The only difference between us is that your arbitrary standard is "average" and mine is "good". So please, stop with all this bluster about going in with "no standards". It's just bullshit. When you get down to it, it really just comes down to this: Your standards are lower than mine. You're willing to wallow in mediocrity and I'm not.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4