• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - The Nana Diaries

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daedelus

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:44 am Reply with quote
I really like Zegapain. I think the ever-so-slight similarities to The Matrix is one of the reasons I really got into it. Volume 3 was released about a month ago, but none of the stores in my area have ever gotten it. There's still copies of 1 and 2 though. I guess I'll have to go online, but I hate paying shipping for just one DVD. Oh well...

The Shelf Obsessed person has a tiny collection of DVDs I see. I can make out Kite, but I can't tell which version because of the glare. It almost looks like Mezzo Forte is just to the left of it too. That glare!!
Big Hed

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:48 am Reply with quote
Heh, nice collection. It reminds me a lot of the selection at some of the bookstores I frequent Laughing. I can claim maybe a quarter the number of volumes that Brian has.

And Bara_Megami, want something manly to get? Get Suppli! But seriously, if you are looking for a good josei title, get that -- of course this is a recommendation coming from a guy, so what would I know Wink.

Add: Cool issue of Wired! Carefully preserved, I see, too.

Daedelus: I'm almost certain that's Petite Cossette to the right of Kite, and I think Mezzo Forte is on there on the left. Can't make out anything else from that group, though.
Leebo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:03 am Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
Heh, nice collection. It reminds me a lot of the selection at some of the bookstores I frequent Laughing. I can claim maybe a quarter the number of volumes that Brian has.

I was thinking this... Can we be sure he didn't just lift some bookstore bookcases? Wink
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:37 am Reply with quote
Murasakisuishou wrote:

I think Viz licensed it, but there's been no word on a release date.

Yeah, Viz licensed it. They are working at getting it out, because they had interviews with the voice actors who are playing both the Nana girls in the April issue of Shojo Beat. I would suspect that we won't see the anime out until after the second movie is released, especially considering we have a date for that one (Jul. 29, 2008), but we should be seeing it soon!

(IIRC, they had an interview with a VA from Honey & Clover in that issue too, so it's probably a similar story...and they also have the live action movie for that title which they may also want to put out first (no date is listed on their website for that one).
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:41 am Reply with quote
Bara_Megami wrote:
The first thing that jumps out at me looking at that manga shelf is "That's a dude". He buys more of the "manly" series that, if I had the disposable income, would like to buy too. But being a woman, my money goes to yaoi/what little josei is released in English (surprisingly few Shoujo Beat titles - in fact, only Absolute Boyfriend and Kamikaze Girls) Anime hyper

Not saying that those series are exclusively for men before anyone tries to smack me for being sexist. Heck, I want to read everything I already haven't already on his shelf!! Even Battle Vixens! Really!

Heck, I'm a girl, and I read Naruto, Fullmetal Alchemist, and Death Note. Cool

In addition to that I read yuri with a passion. Laughing I am such a loser fangirl.
ingram_pilot

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:59 am Reply with quote
daedelus wrote:
I can make out Kite, but I can't tell which version because of the glare. It almost looks like Mezzo Forte is just to the left of it too. That glare!!

I'm pretty sure it's the "Uncut" version of Kite. I can just barely make out the word. Besides, the word in question is too short to be "Director's Cut" and that version has a red cover. Also, the original release has nothing but "Kite" in the title. So it's probably this DVD.

As for the one on the left, I have no clue. I think I can make out an E and a Z, but that's it.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:42 am Reply with quote
Murasakisuishou wrote:

I think Viz licensed it, but there's been no word on a release date.

And I just don't know what people see in the NANA movie. I thought it was horrible. The acting was nearly unbearable, and it looked like it had been shot by amateur college students or something. Of course, I saw the anime first, and the anime is extremely good, so that might be why I detest the movies so.

Oops, I just did a quick search late last night, and I missed it. I thought Viz just had the live-action movies.

I did like the movie, but yes, I also haven't seen the anime yet. But I went into the movie with very mediocre expectations, and was pleasantly surprised at how fun it was. It's not a great movie, but it's a fun movie. And I liked the music.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:42 am Reply with quote
Well, I hope you're happy- I lived in Cali when I was little, and we'd visit Morro Bay 3 and 4 times a year- you're gonna have me waxing nostalgic about my childhood trips to the beach all day now!

(Um... is the Shell Shop still there? And the lil' gift shop with the aquarium/sea-lions feeding thing in the basement? I miss those places...)
arxane

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:47 am Reply with quote
I like that shelf collection, if only because it shows there's at least one other person out there who collects Project Arms.

/Only four volumes left
//With one volume released every four months.
///*sob*
oriana3k

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Why, I have that very issue of Wired on my nightstand right now! I don't get the magazine, but my mother, er, "liberated" a copy from a doctor's office waiting room.

I also see the original release of Uzumaki, nice, and do my eyes deceive me, or are Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service volumes 4-6 still in their wrappers? Dude. If you're not gonna read em, give em to me. Smile
Alucalb

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:48 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to get Baki. Is there going to be a season one set?
Raelanura

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Alucalb wrote:
I'd like to get Baki. Is there going to be a season one set?

There is one. Smile

http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/catalogmgr/kzDH0R9TUrHdf-7puF/browse/item/68822/4/0/0
driverstart

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Hmm… I always thought I had a nice big collection of manga, but not anymore after seeing that person’s collection. Man! How did he get enough money for all of those books?! It’s not very organized as well; I have all of my series in alphabetical order. I have Monster, Uzumaki, Death Note, Chrono Crusade, and X/1999 like him. I also thought I saw Negima hiding behind some of the books, but maybe that was just me.

As for the DVDs, I don’t want to get any of them at all. None of those series interested me too much, but I might consider getting Black Cat if the price ever drops. Sometimes the Best Buy in my town sells some of their Anime DVDs at cheap prices. I got the Mushishi Starter Set and Volume 2 for only 25 bucks! It was a great deal.
maichips

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:58 pm Reply with quote
irishninja wrote:
The editor in me cries at Brian's (lack of?) organization. The geek in me cries in jealousy at the size of the collection.

Didn't someone also make an anime about NANA, to go with the manga and live-action? If so, when does it release?

The OCD portion of my soul would jump gleefully at the chance to organize such a wonderful collection... Embarassed
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:17 pm Reply with quote
kyokun703 wrote:
I did like the movie, but yes, I also haven't seen the anime yet. But I went into the movie with very mediocre expectations, and was pleasantly surprised at how fun it was. It's not a great movie, but it's a fun movie. And I liked the music.

If you liked the movie, I'm pretty sure you'll like the anime. It's a much closer adaptation of the manga, since it has more time to tell the story (which isn't complete yet, so the anime made a good decision and didn't actually have an ending, so we're expecting a season two to come out eventually).

And I think the music in the anime is much better. Especially for Trapnest, though I do like the movie music as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3