• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Eureka Seven Movie to be Announced in Newtype Mag

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
Top Gun wrote:
Ugh...I'd been reveling in the idea that all of these "zomg new e7 stuffz" pseudo-rumors were so much bull for months now. So much for that. I utterly adored the series, and I think the ending to it is just about as perfect as any anime series' ending can be. In my mind, adding anything else, especially if it's some sort of "alternate universe" weirdness, is just a huge mistake.

Yeah, pretty much my sentiments exactly. At least with a retelling "alternate universe" kind of movie we can take solace in the fact that as an alternate universe we can safely ignore it with no bearing to the mythos we actually cared about in the event it sucks, since they're technically separate anyways.

That was one of the only sources of solace I could find in the RahXephon movie, which suffered from poor pacing and poorly-decided (and -executed) changes to the original material. The great irony in bringing this up is that Kyoda was the director of that film and the director of Eureka Seven (which totally redeemed him in my eyes). Judging by how the aforementioned movie and the Escaflowne film (one of BONES' earliest productions, though a co- one with Sunrise) played out, it sounds like E7 will seeing an alternate version--though a heavily, if not nearly completely different retelling of at least the basic story. On the other hand, the news can be interpreted as a new story that either takes place during the series or after it (with Renton and Eureka in small, yet important, roles).

Hopefully, this film will be one of the better alternate (or sequel) tales than some of the other ones that BONES has produced.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Afax

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Sam Murai wrote:
Keonyn wrote:
Top Gun wrote:
Ugh...I'd been reveling in the idea that all of these "zomg new e7 stuffz" pseudo-rumors were so much bull for months now. So much for that. I utterly adored the series, and I think the ending to it is just about as perfect as any anime series' ending can be. In my mind, adding anything else, especially if it's some sort of "alternate universe" weirdness, is just a huge mistake.

Yeah, pretty much my sentiments exactly. At least with a retelling "alternate universe" kind of movie we can take solace in the fact that as an alternate universe we can safely ignore it with no bearing to the mythos we actually cared about in the event it sucks, since they're technically separate anyways.

That was one of the only sources of solace I could find in the RahXephon movie, which suffered from poor pacing and poorly-decided (and -executed) changes to the original material. The great irony in bringing this up is that Kyoda was the director of that film and the director of Eureka Seven (which totally redeemed him in my eyes). Judging by how the aforementioned movie and the Escaflowne film (one of BONES' earliest productions, though a co- one with Sunrise) played out, it sounds like E7 will seeing an alternate version--though a heavily, if not nearly completely different retelling of at least the basic story. On the other hand, the news can be interpreted as a new story that either takes place during the series or after it (with Renton and Eureka in small, yet important, roles).

Hopefully, this film will be one of the better alternate (or sequel) tales than some of the other ones that BONES has produced.

Yeah, BONES only did the animation in the Escaflowne movie, you can't really blame them for the adaptation itself

I disagree with Rahxephon though. I found the changes extremely pleasant and well done. The only thing I would agree with is that it needed better pacing, but in my mind this is due to it being only 1 movie. Had it been 2 movies it would have been perfect.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, this definitely does sound like an Escaflowne movie, as opposed to an "Evengellion: Death" that recaps and repackages the original, or a "Nadesico" that continues the story from the original. I expect most of the characters to appear in some form, even if only cameoed. and for surfing robots to play a part, but beyond that, it could be just about anything. Could be fun though, I liked the Escaflowne movie.
jdnation

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:44 pm Reply with quote
I'm guessing it's more like the Escaflowne movie, except that they'd maintain the character designs, but maybe rework the mecha and storyline...
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:25 am Reply with quote
Honestly, what else could this company add? I remember the ending, and all loose ends will neatly tied up. If this series is basically retelling the series, I am sure this movie won't be really interesting.

Anime movies often aren't that great, but the fact Bones is making a movie actually is a bit much for a series that ended on a great note. Either the company is trying to milk the series for what the series is worth or this company is blantely trying to make a revenue.

I don't mean to be rude, but I am suspecting a large flop, so I don't have high hopes for the movie.
Matt122004

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:40 am Reply with quote
Hello E7 Fans, this is Matt122004 talking...

To more than 2,000 fans, my name is known, why?

Because I run the EUREKA SEVEN FORUMS.

Heard of them? Most have.

For almost 2 years we have been telling fans that a MOVIE was coming. We have had connections and insiders within Studio BONES and BANDAI.

Many fans laughed at our forums, rediculed us, and told us we were misleading fans. Almost all the rumors you heard about the movie, were thanks to our forum. But now the truth has come out, and the forums are PSYCHED!

If you want to be apart of the almsot 2,000 member forum that is getting constant info and will be breaking the info as soon as we recieve it, check us out. We are known by Studio BONES and even by the writer Dai Sato himself. We also have interviews with the voice actors and even Patrick Seitz as a member with his own blog section.

Have fun, be happy! WERE GETTING A CONTINUATION! WOOT!

http://www.eurekaseven.co.nr

http://z7.invisionfree.com/Eureka_Seven/

-Matt Laughing
BleuVII

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:52 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
BellosTheMighty wrote:
Huh. Guess it is legit. Who knew? I suppose it's something to look forward to, but I can't see where they have left to go with the story. I mean, the ending of the anime pretty much tied it all up. IF they're going to try to retell it all in two hours, that'd be "no", I think. Well, we'll see what happens.

I agree with you, the final episode neatly tied almost every loose end. I am sure this movie is just another way for Bones to milk the series once before the manga concludes.

Err... the manga ended in 2006. In America it ended last August/September.

But I like the sounds of the article. I was glad that the ending tied everything up, but I thought it was more than a little cheesy. If this gets a reimagining though, it will be the third "mythos" this story has seen with the same characters. Hopefully it takes the best from both of the previous ones.
Banken

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:55 am Reply with quote
It seems like about 80% or more of the comments that 2ch post are against it...

Like "why would they make a movie they know is going to be in the red?" or "the TV series was enough."

I can't imagine it's going to be a continuation of any kind... and I really don't think they should mess with the original, which was already perfect (another 30 seconds of solid footage in the epilogue would have been more than enough).

Now, if they were going to edit it into a movie to make up for the fact that the original run was at 7AM on Sunday mornings (I didn't even watch the original airing when I was in Japan because I could never get up that early), to build up interest in the series (and to give us just another sprinkling of closure), that would be great.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:58 am Reply with quote
I didn't find the end cheesy at all. Heck, it's what the series was building to and would have been a huge letdown if it didn't end like that. It also left some things not quite touched on, so there's a bit of room for interpretation.

I guess I'm not one of those people that buys in to the whole spoiler[a bad or sad ending is deeper and more meaningful. Frankly, as invested as I was in the characters from this series and the hardships they endured, they deserved an ending like that. Heck, I'd say a truly well done positive ending is a rarer animal these days than the ever constant and redundant sad, negative or bittersweet ending that half the shows out there seem to rely on to add a sense of artificial "depth". I honestly didn't care for the manga either, it left a glimmer of hope but was too ambiguous, and the character types and style of the series that made the series work so well were notably absent].
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:23 am Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
I didn't find the end cheesy at all. Heck, it's what the series was building to and would have been a huge letdown if it didn't end like that. It also left some things not quite touched on, so there's a bit of room for interpretation.

I guess I'm not one of those people that buys in to the whole spoiler[a bad or sad ending is deeper and more meaningful. Frankly, as invested as I was in the characters from this series and the hardships they endured, they deserved an ending like that. Heck, I'd say a truly well done positive ending is a rarer animal these days than the ever constant and redundant sad, negative or bittersweet ending that half the shows out there seem to rely on to add a sense of artificial "depth". I honestly didn't care for the manga either, it left a glimmer of hope but was too ambiguous, and the character types and style of the series that made the series work so well were notably absent].

Regarding the ending being cheesy or not: spoiler[ I suppose the heart with Renton and Eureka's names in it carved on the moon might seem a bit much for some people. I didn't find it so when watching the series, but I remember one person mentioning it in a comment though.]

Eureka Seven is one of my favorite series, so I'm quite interested in this news. Hopefully it will be a well done... whatever it is the movie is planning on doing. Sounds like maybe an alternate universe/retelling type of thing, from the brief way it's been described.
Matt122004

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:40 am Reply with quote
On the Eureka Seven Forums (the link is in my post above), we have gotten a pic from the NEWTYPE issue.

We have some info on the movie, so join the forums and get the brand new updates info and pic.

-Matt Smile
Doc Tater

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:30 am Reply with quote
As a Eureka 7 fan, I'm kinda torn; on one hand, I'm afraid that the adaptation would wreck the series; like a few of the fans here, I was kinda disappointed with the RahXephon movie's pacing, and that was only them trying to retell 26 episodes! Now they're trying to do the same with a 50 episode one?

On the other hand, while flawed, I found the RahXephon movie very enjoyable, and hey! I've been wrong about movie adaptations before (though that was for the LotR movies); Emperor willing, I'll be proven wrong again.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:25 am Reply with quote
Doc Tater wrote:
As a Eureka 7 fan, I'm kinda torn; on one hand, I'm afraid that the adaptation would wreck the series; like a few of the fans here, I was kinda disappointed with the RahXephon movie's pacing, and that was only them trying to retell 26 episodes! Now they're trying to do the same with a 50 episode one?

On the other hand, while flawed, I found the RahXephon movie very enjoyable, and hey! I've been wrong about movie adaptations before (though that was for the LotR movies); Emperor willing, I'll be proven wrong again.

Well, as has been mentioned, if this movie is indeed set in some alternate universe or mythos, at least we can take solace in the fact that if it sucks, it doesn't really change the ending or characters of the anime at all, as they would be officially separate.

I don't really know what to expect from it, as the only anime movie (that was based on a tv series) that I've seen is the Full Metal Alchemist one. (Well, I also saw some Karas movie on Sci-Fi, but I've never seen a single episode of the series, so...) And I have to say, I wasn't exactly happy with the FMA movie, though, and I liked the ending of the anime better, actually.

EDIT: Forgot, I've also seen some Naruto movies and the first Bleach movie. But those are rather different series from Eureka Seven, with a different style of movies.
chaotic_oscar

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:08 pm Reply with quote

Hell yes!!!

In the same magazine some more images about the TTGL movie.Nuff said.
Dune

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:14 pm Reply with quote
I enjoy BONES's movies, if only for the wonderful animation. More than anything I want to see how E7's surfing scenes are handled with a theatrical budget.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4