• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Itazura na Kiss.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LKK

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:17 pm Reply with quote
gibbage wrote:
OK. After being married for so many years, and they STILL live with there parents? WTF? If this a Japanese thing?

Housing in Japan is very expensive. Couples often live with their parents for years after marriage. Some may never move out. As a result, privacy for sexual relations is often at a premium. That's why married couples are a large percentage of the clients at love hotels. They're seeking some private time away from the in-laws.
retty

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:41 pm Reply with quote
LKK wrote:
gibbage wrote:
OK. After being married for so many years, and they STILL live with there parents? WTF? If this a Japanese thing?

Housing in Japan is very expensive. Couples often live with their parents for years after marriage. Some may never move out. As a result, privacy for sexual relations is often at a premium. That's why married couples are a large percentage of the clients at love hotels. They're seeking some private time away from the in-laws.

The situation is the same in UK but you don't see married people living with their parents here. I would never be able to take that, it would be horrible Confused
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:12 pm Reply with quote
gibbage wrote:
The only episode that we DO know they had sex in, they were in a hotel, in Hawaii!

They must be having sex at least a little more often than that, since they did think it was possible for Kotoko to be pregnant at one point, though I'll admit I don't remember how close that was to their honeymoon.
ShadowTrader

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:48 pm Reply with quote
So, spoiler[it really was Nobuhiro (Non-chan), the kid that used to be in the hospital, nice guess Patachu]. I still feel like the episodes are too focused on their careers, instead of them and their relationship. However this latest episode was not completely pointless in my eyes since it didspoiler[ show Irie fulfilling his promise and reinforce his decision to become a doctor. Also Kotoko progressed nicely in her career, since her goal was to be of help to Irie, and you could say she's achieved that.] I just hope that preview wasn't all hype and we get back to the romance and this will be the end of their career stories.
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:12 pm Reply with quote
I've been hearing REALLY good things about next episode, the birthday episode, and supposedly in not too long spoiler[they'll be getting a baby.] I'm pretty much in ShadowTrader's mindset right now; the episodes have been nice, and entertaining, but let's bring the focus back to the romance.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:27 pm Reply with quote
I actually liked that the focus spoiler[shifted to showing their careers, since they do spend the majority of their time at work. I agree however that this latest one was more important than others, because it picked up on why Irie became a doctor in the first place.]

Also, one thing that has been annoying me a bit is how spoiler[Kotoko still calls him Irie-kun. Yes, I know it's probably supposed to be for continuity at least a bit, but after four years of marriage you think she'd have switched over to his given name by now.

Oh, and did anyone catch that the black haired girl whose name I forget called Kotoko "Aihara-san." That was even worse than the Irie-kun thing, since Aihara isn't even her name anymore. I was quite surprised that Kotoko didn't seem to catch on/mind.]
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:16 am Reply with quote
Wow, who the hell drew episode 21? It seemed like Naoki went through about 7 different faces over the course of that episode. Character design reference sheets, use them!

Anyhow, did anyone else sense the vibes between spoiler[Yuuki and Nobuhiro? I see yaoi in their future.]
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:50 am Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:
Anyhow, did anyone else sense the vibes between spoiler[Yuuki and Nobuhiro? I see yaoi in their future.]

I definitely picked up on that too. I don't really see the series going much further than they already have though. It's possible, but I don't know that it would really fit with how things have gone so far (not the mention that fact that it would take focus away from our main couple).
ShadowTrader

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Poor Kotoko! She can never really seem to get everything just right. spoiler[But finally we get to see some intimacy although I still don't like the fact that the setting for half of the episode was in the hospital. ] It looks like the story is finally heading for the spoiler[next stage of their married lives, and hopefully that will be the conclusion of the series.] I really don't want to see them grow old and die, that would just be too sad, I think a nice happily ever after ending would be appropriate.
ShadowTrader

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:07 am Reply with quote
Damn ep 23 was great! But since I'm the only one left watching the show I feel kind of stupid talking to myself about it. Anyway... it looks like its still too early to make any predictions of how it will end, but I really liked the focus of this episode and hope they end the show on a nice romantic note.
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:04 pm Reply with quote
23 was great, I can't wait for 24. Not much else to say; so far I'm really appreciating how the show keeps a balance of lightness with realism. Obviously it's a little too fairy-tale-esque but so far it totally avoided the trap of spoiler[the love story ending in a wedding. I wonder if they're going to have a girl or a boy, although I suspect since mama wants it to be a girl we're going to be misled and it will be a boy.]
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:34 am Reply with quote
Well, 24 was very satisfying as a conclusion. It had the same odd pacing that the whole series had, but I'm really happy with how it turned out.

So I'm very confused as to why there is an episode 25. I really have no idea what it is supposed to have happen Anime dazed
LKK

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:56 am Reply with quote
Based on the previews, episode 25 strikes me as one of the bonus episodes you occasionally get on the DVD release but rarely see during the broadcast. Maybe they just needed to fill the air time for this coming week before the replacement series begins??
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:50 pm Reply with quote
I suppose that would make sense. Hopefully it's good (the fansub group I follow doesn't seem to have high hopes though).

Anyway, since the main story is pretty much over, I have to say that I'm really glad I followed this series. It's not the greatest thing out there, but it was a lot of fun.

I'm interested, does anyone know where in the storyline the manga stops?
LKK

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:56 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
I'm interested, does anyone know where in the storyline the manga stops?

A blog comment from a manga reader leads me to think the manga stopped with Naoki's suspicion that Kotoko was pregnant. The commenter said something like "now, we'll finally find out if Kotoko is pregnant or not."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10