• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 2008-04-09

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:26 am Reply with quote
Brilliant as always!

And obviously fits certain types of people so well!
Navak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:36 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Oronae wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Is Spice and Wolf anything like Wolf and Spice? The titles sounds nearly the same, but..ya know, gotta be picky. Honestly, if you follow the kanji, there's no reason not to call it Wolf and Spice, and it's not like it makes a huge difference in vocal aesthetic.

Err... perhaps because that's the official English tittle of the show as written in the ending credit sequence?

Honestly, it really doesn't matter what the Japanese use. Why you might ask, they're the creators? Because they still confuse American grammar and diction CONSTANTLY. R's and L's still get them all the time, even in official published works that have quality checkers. Kallen from Code Geass? You can't honestly tell me it was meant to be Kallen, it was Karen, but of course, even after forced English for all their school years, they still mess up.

It doesn't matter if they're completely wrong and/or meant something completely different...

You don't get to go

"That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind"

Oops, sorry I meant

"That's one small step for A man, one giant leap for mankind".
minakichan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:42 am Reply with quote
Why is Kevin watching fansubs? I thought that was a no-no on ANN.
Vortextk

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:43 am Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:

It's amazing the number of topics this comes up in.
Kenotic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:47 am Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:

ANN doesn't take a position. Individuals at ANN have been known to take varying positions.
zhir

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:57 am Reply with quote
Besides that, even the editors opposed to fansubs likely watch unlicensed shows. They just make sure to buy the DVDs, and they know that most people don't.
bayoab

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:02 am Reply with quote
Mirri wrote:
"Naruto the Abridged" uses copyrighted material, and that is why it is removed. It uses the animation from the Naruto anime, and regardless of whether or not it's the actual episode or if the audio is used, the animation is still copyrighted, is it not?

If it falls under Fair Use or any of the other exceptions to copyright laws, then it doesn't matter if it uses copyright material. If it is a short parody, it likely does fall under one of these clauses and thus shouldn't be taken down.

Edit: Er... should be if, not since (IANAL).

Last edited by bayoab on Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:11 am; edited 1 time in total
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:03 am Reply with quote
I'd imagine tons of staff would have to watch fansubs. How else could you have conversations or write reviews on a show? As people said, watching the fansub and not buying the DVD if you really liked the show is bad.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:05 am Reply with quote
Emma Iveli wrote:
Because of anonymous jackasses all over YouTube... I mean there's a lot of people who report these things for various reasons... after all there's a flag button... that means uptight people and people who lack a sense of humor flag them and YouTube takes them down. I wouldn't be surprised by the way you're going on is that you're an Abridged Flagger yourself.

To the best of my knowledge Youtube does not take flagged material down for copyright violations. The only reason they take copyrighted material down is if they copyright holder file a request to have the material removed.

-t
1stAgent

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:14 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
Emma Iveli wrote:
Because of anonymous jackasses all over YouTube... I mean there's a lot of people who report these things for various reasons... after all there's a flag button... that means uptight people and people who lack a sense of humor flag them and YouTube takes them down. I wouldn't be surprised by the way you're going on is that you're an Abridged Flagger yourself.

To the best of my knowledge Youtube does not take flagged material down for copyright violations. The only reason they take copyrighted material down is if they copyright holder file a request to have the material removed.

-t

By my experience, you can't even flag something for copyright violations unless you hold the copyright. Tried to flag an unauthorized upload of my AMV once and I didn't get too far.

IMO, as someone who studied communications law, the various abridged series straddle the line between Fair Use and infringement, but probably wouldn't hold up in court since it's still a direct copy of the animation (and often music). AMVs wouldn't have a prayer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Roy9076

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:20 am Reply with quote
Awesome. Loved the slime. He should appear more often.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ConanSan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:31 am Reply with quote
A haleriously impossible comic, for Naruto fansubs are, unfortunely, eternal; you can erase them off the internet, you can arrest any party involved in thier creation and you could probably melt the orgional masters into a fine moloten paste but they will probably still end up on the internet someway.
RMC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:36 am Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
A haleriously impossible comic, for Naruto fansubs are, unfortunely, eternal; you can erase them off the internet, you can arrest any party involved in thier creation and you could probably melt the orgional masters into a fine moloten paste but they will probably still end up on the internet someway.

Believe it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:43 am Reply with quote
As others have said it's quite funny because of how accurate it really is heh. The best part is I've seen that exact look on some fans faces at cons when the idea of paying for something was mentioned to them. Like deer caught in headlights. Very Happy
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:27 am Reply with quote
1stAgent wrote:

IMO, as someone who studied communications law, the various abridged series straddle the line between Fair Use and infringement, but probably wouldn't hold up in court since it's still a direct copy of the animation (and often music). AMVs wouldn't have a prayer.

Actually, on the animation side, AMVs do stand a chance of winning a fair use appeal, although the odds are still against them.

The biggest problem is on the music side.

You see, the extent of the work used is a big part of various applications of fair use. Using 3 minutes of video excerpted from different parts of a TV series or movie isn't very significant. However using an entire song is significant.

Making AMVs with original music might just constitute fair use, *especially* if the AMV in question does not rely on a single source for its animation.

The stumbling block would be the purpose of the "fair use." Derivative works aren't provided with any sort of special-status like not-for-profit education, news and parody are...

This is why Fanfiction, although possibly fair-use, is still within the rights of the creator/owner of the original work to deny.

One thing most people don't understand about fair use, is that most of it isn't "safe harbor." Fair use is still copyright infringement, just "excusable infringement."

On another note, an AMV creator does actually have a legitimate (although highly arguable) claim to being the copyright owner of the derivative work that he or she has created. So you might actually be able to petition Youtube to take down AMVs that you have created if you can adequately prove that you are the creator of said AMV.

-t
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9