• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2008 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
babbo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:
You do realize that supahem never corrected the other guys statement about the manga being side stories only? Also he for some reason thinks the opening scene fight in episode 1 is the stalker incident from chapter 1 of the manga. I like supahem because he's fun to talk to and released some Unbalance X Unbalance manga scans but you shouldn't take his word for gospel since there is 3 people in that thread who have read the novels and only he said the manga is out of order events from the light novels.

And that other guy only said AFAIK because iirc the 3rd light novel isn't translated into chinese yet. It's called not making a blanket statement and looking like an idiot when it's wrong.

On the other hand He was talking about stalker chapter in relation to the light novel , this in response to theastguardian's post about the manga being a collection of side stories.

This could all be over if you had a concrete source stating that the mangaka was indeed the author writer, and that these are indeed all original stories, and for that matter that the author has not been consulted. Then again, I don't see how that changes the direction Murasaki's character has taken in that excerpt from the light novel.

If responding to statements contrary to your own is your standard for correctness you might want to take into consideration TheLastGuardian only posted once in the whole thread. Additionally only one person stated that the manga is a collection of side stories . Should I take it that such a statement is just as believable as supahem's statement?

Lastly, your second quote was a question completely in response to a question about the light novel and how the anime adapted it, the manga was never mentioned in that exchange o,o

Wow... I just wrote a post on interpretation of a forum discussion. I'm definitely done here now. *goes to take a shower so he can wash off that dirty dirty feeling*
==============================================
On another I think carlo hit code geass episode episode two spot on. But his review highlights the problem of previewing/reviewing a sequel with little knowledge of the original show. Those "patchwork flashbacks" are incredibly relevant (not to mention for the most part, completely new) content that answer questions people have been waiting to see answered since the end of the last season.

Last edited by babbo on Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Westlo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:50 am Reply with quote
While I'm waiting on a pm could you care to put your amazing interpretation skills to the test and tell me why he's ignored that person saying the manga is side stories? In addition to that he's let another 3-4 people say the same about the manga, why? Also have you found another person saying the manga is out of order events from the novels aside from Supahem?

If you can't figure out why I posted that second quote confirming that the anime is following the novel you're dense. Do you for some reason believe that the entire thing gets resolved halfway through and than goes into side stories for the last half of the novel?

Last edited by Westlo on Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:22 am Reply with quote
Saphiro01 wrote:
Cat Girls, wolf girls and fox girls that do not have anthropomorphic qualities such as a muzzle and fur all over their bodies are NOT furries. Completely different type of character type.
Wagaya no Oinara-sama may not be a pure furry story, but it has enough that a furry fan would find interesting.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:18 am Reply with quote
CerebralDivinity wrote:
Holy crap, there has been much off-topic conversation. I was hoping for more advice on what to watch >_>

Well, I'm happy to give my own recommendations, for what it's worth Smile

Stuff to watch:

Macross Frontier -- enough said
Code Geass R2 -- starting out a little slow, but it's almost certain to pick up steam
Soul Eater -- assuming, that is, that what I've heard about the way the plot is likely to progress is true, that is
Tower of Druaga -- initially I didn't plan on watching this, but it's as of ep 02 I think it's going to turn out pretty cool
Allison and Lillia -- admittedly, I say this only based off the first episode, but this just felt like it was going to be a lot of fun (then again, I haven't really watched any shows like this, so it could just be filling a void in my case)

Maybes:

Kure-nai -- Looks good based off the first episode, but I haven't checked out ep 02 yet
Nabari no Ou -- Again, good first impression (in terms of visuals here, especially) but it could still turn into generic shounen
Blassreiter -- Older characters is a nice change here, but the plot still seems unsure of itself as of ep 02, hopefully this will change over the next couple episodes
S.A/Itazura na Kiss -- first couple episodes of these were fun, but they could get repetitive so it's hard to say here

So that's my 0.02, so far, anyway. I didn't post any shows not to watch because I steer clear of shows I'm pretty sure I'll dislike (e.g. Kanokon, ToLoveRu, Zettai Karen Children).

And it's at this point I realize that there is still a ton of stuff left that I need to check out Shocked. This is going to be a seriously busy season for my internet connection, I think...I don't even want to think about how my credit card is going to suffer a year or so (maybe even months?) down the line.

Add: Wait, the police unit in Himitsu is called Section 9? I really wonder, are the writers behind the show are GitS fans? Laughing

Last edited by Big Hed on Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:49 am; edited 1 time in total
nightmaregenie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:39 am Reply with quote
Wow...there's an anime adaptation of Himitsu? I wonder if it's as freaky as the manga. The premises may be a bit cliche but the story is actually quite intriguing.

It's also interesting to see how the reviewers' opinions diverge quite a bit on certain titles.

Thank you ANN for another set of useful seasonal reviews, and for making my "to see" list explode yet again.
manafairy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:54 am Reply with quote
After finally getting to watch Monochrome Factor for myself, I have to say, I didn't hate it. I generally tend to enjoy manservice, and, while the story is nothing spectacular, it seems like it'll be competent enough to hold my interest for at least a good 13 episodes. Granted I haven't read the manga, so my ability to be pissed by the changes is severely lacking, but I find the show enjoyable enough in its own right. As long as someone keeps subbing it, I'll keep watching it.

Nabari no Oh I adored instantly. I read the first volume of the manga after seeing some promotional art for the show a little while ago, and fell in love with the pretty art, charismatic characters, and the general presentation. Miharu is a great lead with his general apathy and manipulative cuteness, and his supporting cast seems to compliment him well. The plot is simple but has potential, the fight scenes are tightly choreographed and hard hitting, and the characters are fun and instantly likable- I look forward to seeing where it'll go. Judging just by the first two episodes, this has to be my favorite of everything I've tried this season so far.

I don't really like shoujo much at all, but I decided to check out Special A just because I wanted a rivalry story and everyone seemed to love it here. The first episode was mildly enjoyable, and the second less so with its greater focus on drama over comedy, but it's somehow still light and pleasant enough to cure a headache after a long days work. While it still has a lot of the qualities that tend to turn me off from shoujo completely, as long as it avoids the overblown melodrama route, I'll probably stick with it.

As for Code Geass R2, even with the rehashing, it reminded me of why I loved the first season. Hopefully it won't do anything to screw up everything I always loved about the show (like take a romance angle or mess up Lelouch's character somehow). I'm in it 'til the end either way though. On a side note, Figma Lelouch doing a cossack dance next to the monitor makes the experience ten times better :3

And that's all I've started watching this season so far. I'm hoping someone picks up Junjo Romantica soon, as I find the manga somewhat enjoyable and I bet it would work much better animated. And I'm thinking about checking out Soul Eater, Blassreiter, eventually the third season of Kyou Kara Maou, and at least the animated spider arc in xxxHolic (even if I find animated holic consistently lackluster). I've been out of the fansub scene for a while, so I forgot how much fun this was Anime smile
TiredGamer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:31 am Reply with quote
Updated Means --

Allison and Lillia, Ep 2 (3.0)
Amatsuki (3.5)
Da Capo II: Second Season (2.0)
Glass Maiden (3.0)
Himitsu: The Revelation (3.0)
Monochrome Factor (2.0)
Nabari no Ou, Ep 2 (4.0)
Penguin no Mondai (1.0)
Special A (S.A.), Ep 2 (3.0)
Vampire Knight, Ep 2 (3.5)

Rounded down to halves.
See my last post back at at this page for the rest.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:29 pm Reply with quote
manafairy wrote:
I've been out of the fansub scene for a while, so I forgot how much fun this was Anime smile

Heh, funny enough, this is my first season for which I'm actually downloading stuff as it comes out, since I became a fan back at the end of 2003. I must say, I'm having a lot of fun doing this. But man, it's hectic downloading episodes for 13 shows per week. Again, I lament my wallet...
everybody_loves_hypnotoad

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Everyone reviewed Penguin no Mondai. Admit it, once you found out it starred a penguin called Beckham you were compelled to watch it. Even despite those reviews I still feel the urge to watch this show.
TornadoTatsumaki

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:35 pm Reply with quote
ANN's cynicism is really starting to get on my nerves. They're slowly becoming the Lenard Maltin of anime journalism, every time they lower the score for these new shows, I become more compelled to watch them more.

And to think, they gave a really harsh review "Dirty Pair: Affair on Nolandia" but it only drove me to buy it and I still enjoyed it.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:37 pm Reply with quote
TornadoTatsumaki wrote:
ANN's cynicism is really starting to get on my nerves. They're slowly becoming the Lenard Maltin of anime journalism, every time they lower the score for these new shows, I become more compelled to watch them more.

?

If anything, the reviewers are looking toward the bright side for a lot of these series. How many scores below 3 do you see? Honestly not that many.
Leebo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:18 pm Reply with quote
TornadoTatsumaki wrote:

The average episode review has a score above 3. What's the problem?
teferi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:46 am Reply with quote
babbo wrote:

On another I think carlo hit code geass episode episode two spot on. But his review highlights the problem of previewing/reviewing a sequel with little knowledge of the original show. Those "patchwork flashbacks" are incredibly relevant (not to mention for the most part, completely new) content that answer questions people have been waiting to see answered since the end of the last season.

I was thumbing through the reviews, found that and nearly fell out of my chair. We finally get the end of last season and he calls it 'patchwork flashbacks' Anime hyper

Seriously, anyone that watched the first season has been waiting months for those exact flashbacks ^^;;
Big Hed

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:20 am Reply with quote
teferi wrote:
babbo wrote:

I was thumbing through the reviews, found that and nearly fell out of my chair. We finally get the end of last season and he calls it 'patchwork flashbacks' Anime hyper

Seriously, anyone that watched the first season has been waiting months for those exact flashbacks ^^;;

Yeah, we certainly were. I'm just glad that I got on board the Geass train late, as I only finished the series early this January, and that was painful enough -- you were lucky that you walked away Carlo, you were spared the torture of the long wait until R2 Razz

Having said that, while I appreciate using the flashback method to elaborate on what happened, I wonder if a direct continuation would've worked better? It's what I was expecting to see, personally.
babbo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
teferi wrote:
babbo wrote:

Yeah, we certainly were. I'm just glad that I got on board the Geass train late, as I only finished the series early this January, and that was painful enough -- you were lucky that you walked away Carlo, you were spared the torture of the long wait until R2 Razz

Having said that, while I appreciate using the flashback method to elaborate on what happened, I wonder if a direct continuation would've worked better? It's what I was expecting to see, personally.

Earlier discussion had come to the conclusion that it was mostly to keep on new viewers and keep ratings up. Having new viewers jump straight into the plot with out any introduction to characters could've hurt.

What I'm hoping for is less schoolyard antics. That was what annoyed me the most in the first seasons >.>

Niju Menso no Musume caught me by surprise. I initially thought it was going to be a typically "mysterious thief" series but it actually looks like it has potential. Definitely agree with the rating on that one.

Last edited by babbo on Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:51 pm; edited 3 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 13