• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2008-04-11]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ralboon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:39 am Reply with quote
stuckinfresno wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
They prefer Tim and Eric projects.

I'm sorry, I'm getting a little vomit in my mouth reading what I just typed.

I'm not the only one! Why is AS putting out such low grade garbage? It guess it is original, but that doesn't make it better. Sometimes I can't even watch the previews. I don't particularly care for it, but at least Metalopolis (spelling questionable) or whatever the show is with Zander Cruise (spelling questionable) doesn't make me quesy when it airs previews. The things I, and I'm sure others, go through to watch Death Note.

Lastly, awwww! The kitty-cat and bunny is too cute!

Tim and Eric Awesome Show Great Job is the single greatest achievement made by man, bested only by the invention of the sewing machine and swimming.

It's a show that makes you laugh and then have to take a shower to get the feeling of weirdness off your skin.
TheVok

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:53 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
there are also a lot of US specialty channels with anime

That is what I'm accounting for.

Right now there's really no gap between cable and specialty digital in the Canadian market any more. For instance, we use Bell Expressvu satellite service, which isn't any more expensive or less accessible than analogue cable.

In terms of sheer quantity, yes, there's more anime on U.S. TV than on Canadian TV. But in terms of access, it's not really all that much different, because many of the U.S. specialty channels that get mentioned in The Click are not available all across the U.S., whereas all of the Canadian specialty channels we've discussed are available all across Canada. And not necessarily at any extra expense than their more mainstream counterparts.
OneHotAlchemist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:47 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:

...I take it you don't know much about the general Adult Swim culture, then. Very Happy The line "anime is teh s uck" originated very early on in the history of the [as] message board, and it grew to become a rather pervasive meme over there that lives to this day. The person who spawned it was a random n00b spouting off the same type of generic hatred that's spewed all over the Internet every day, and it's never been taken to represent anything beyond that. If Greg Ayres actually took that gesture as a personal insult, I feel rather sorry for him (and more than a bit amused).

That's like saying a group of Police Officers shouldn't be upset when they get a tour of a place and are given t-shirts which say "Eat a donut Pig" Rolling Eyes

The fact that AS made a name for itself mocking one of its own demographics is downright moronic. Of course, they wouldn't mock one of their own original shows, would they?
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:04 pm Reply with quote
[as] mocks themselves in some respect or another just about every week that bumps are aired. Self/fan-deprecating humor has been their trademark for as long as I've been watching them, and in the case of anime, it's usually made all the more amusing by all of the hyper-sensitive fans who get all up in arms at the drop of a hat. And at least in my opinion, there's a world of difference between using a term that blatantly insults the person that it's directed at and using a phrase that does nothing more than mock the person who uttered it. The (lack of) spelling/grammar should be more than enough to clue someone in to the fact that it's used in a tongue-in-cheek manner.
Cephus

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:17 pm Reply with quote
the_ferret wrote:
Not exactly. Successful television is all about targeting and retaining specific demographics.

That's not the way American cable stations work anymore. Look at SciFi, for example. It shows horror, it shows wrestling, it shows Ghost Hunters and UFO shows and it even shows anime. It's not about showing science fiction, it's about making a buck.

Same goes for Cartoon Network.

Quote:
There is an audience for anime, and a void of American stations airing it, which is why CN took a chance on it in the first place.

There isn't much of an audience for anime, just ask the American anime companies who are losing money left and right. And there are tons of stations that show it, most of the time you can't hardly turn around without falling over a channel that shows some sort of anime block. CN does so especially for those shows that have a big toy component because that's the people who give them advertising money. There just aren't enough people who will sit there and watch a show and bring in sizable advertising revenue.

Quote:
If stations only ever aired things that guaranteed ratings, every channel would be American Idol and Friends 24/7. It's stupidity to argue that anything not pulling in massive numbers is necessarily detrimental to a network's success.

They take a chance on shows and those that don't provide an immediate ratings boost get dropped. Look at how FOX works. They air a dozen new shows every year and cancel most of them within the first 6-8 episodes. Lots of channels *ARE* little more than American Idol clones because it's been demonstrated that that's what sells ad space.

Quote:
That said, I do think CN has lost some of its integrity (Goosebumps), but I don't think they're total sell-outs. Many of their pilots are still highly original (Foster's is a weird damn show on paper and artistically), and the network has always seemed to appreciate talent in a way that Nickelodeon or Disney Channel never have.

I don't think they ever really had any integrity, especially when it comes to programming that appeals to an older audience.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:25 pm Reply with quote
TheVok wrote:
Right now there's really no gap between cable and specialty digital in the Canadian market any more. For instance, we use Bell Expressvu satellite service, which isn't any more expensive or less accessible than analogue cable.

Huh, Well I guess maybe you're just a smarter consumer than me. I definitely do pay more for digital that I would for regular cable. I'm not familiar with Bell Expressvu. I might just look into it if it's as good as you say.

I still have to disagree though. I think that save a few rare cases, everyone has access to basic cable nowadays. If you've got a TV, odds are you have access to [as] and all it's anime. It's as simple as that. To get many of those anime in Canada is a fair bit more complicated. You will need digital which many people don't have. maybe they could get it but it might cost them depending on what provider they have. This might mean they need to switch providers to get it or at least to get it at a better price. You'll need control over your cable situation for all this which many teens may not have. Especially when it comes to relatively casual fans, [as] has a pretty big advantage.
Shousetsuka

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Bah, I don't think enough people who watch anime know anything about Japan. I applaud those who go out with a general interest and try to find out something about the country and its people outside of anime. Otherwise you go around thinking that Japanese girls actually have big boobs. Oh ho, what a lie!

I'm in the waning stages of anime love. I used to go to cons and buy up DVDs, but I don't do much of that these days. I watch one or two new series every year, and only if it's related to something I liked before (same director or production company). Quite frankly, I think the best show of the new season is Chi's Sweet Home, that anime about cats. And I hate cats, but I still love that show. Who knows, maybe I'm disillusioned and I'll give up anime all together within the next few years. Saves money, I think.
Cephus

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:46 pm Reply with quote
I agree, there are fewer and fewer shows every year that I have any interest in seeing, especially as Japan goes more and more toward moe. When the Japanese stop making things I want to watch, I'll just stop watching anime. It's happened in the past and it will happen again.

It has nothing to do with the fact that these animated shows come from the far off land of Japan and everything to do with the fact that I enjoy the show. When I stop enjoying it, the hell with Japan.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5