• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Secret of Blue Earth

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:43 pm Reply with quote
It sure is hot here in South Cali. It was roasting yesterday, well into the evening. It's a little better today, there's a miracle breeze blowing in.

The only anime I can comment on here is Slayers Try. I was recommended this series in case I wanted to see some dragons (see my old topic about "Any good dragon-related anime out there?") and I bought one of the subbed only VHS a few weeks ago (because the front cover had this interesting wolf guy on the cover). I have yet to see an actual dragon as promised, but this series is seriously funny.
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:00 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
The only anime I can comment on here is Slayers Try. I was recommended this series in case I wanted to see some dragons (see my old topic about "Any good dragon-related anime out there?") and I bought one of the subbed only VHS a few weeks ago (because the front cover had this interesting wolf guy on the cover). I have yet to see an actual dragon as promised, but this series is seriously funny.

Did you miss the dragon that showed up in episode 1? Are you watching a different season, perchance?

I for one loved this Slayers re-release as I wasn't into collecting until it was near impossible to find the CPM releases.

I figured Nabeshin would make Wallflower a fun ride, and it sure sounds like so far he doesn't dissapoint.

I watched the first episode of Project Blue Earth SOS and found myself feeling much the same as Bamboo does, but I will probably give it a rent once the whole series has been released.
driverstart

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:27 pm Reply with quote
I thought Project Blu Earth was pretty good. It's gives me the same feeling when I watch Indepence Day. I didn't buy the DVD though, I got to watch it on Charter on Demand. Sadly, only 4 out of 6 episodes of the series were shown so I never got to see the ending... I'm disappointed.

On the other series mention, I have no interest in any of them. They are the least bit appealing to me, sorry creators of the series and fans of them.

On the collection of books Erica has, quite impressive. I have Bleach, Cardcaptor Sakura, Chrono Crusade, Death Note, Naruto, Negima!, Spiral, and Tsubasa like her. She has a nice collection, though I'm quite jealous that she has the Book of Clow in her collection. I miss the chance to get that thing a long time ago sadly.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:53 pm Reply with quote
snl67 wrote:
belvadeer wrote:

Did you miss the dragon that showed up in episode 1? Are you watching a different season, perchance?

I for one loved this Slayers re-release as I wasn't into collecting until it was near impossible to find the CPM releases.

I figured Nabeshin would make Wallflower a fun ride, and it sure sounds like so far he doesn't dissapoint.

I watched the first episode of Project Blue Earth SOS and found myself feeling much the same as Bamboo does, but I will probably give it a rent once the whole series has been released.

No, I bought the VHS out of order Anime hyper
kirbyboy102

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:30 pm Reply with quote
OMG the first 6 books of that girl's collection is the same EXACT ones as mine! O_O Obviously she has good taste. (I'm joking. But she does, in my opinion)

I've heard about the wallflower... Maybe I should check out the anime. The manga simply has too many bad reviews for mme to want to check it out.
Anrui Ukimi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Dang, I really need to take collection pictures before I dismantle my room. Smile

Pass on Angel Sanctuary. Manga is FAR better.

Yay for Slayers rerelease! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:13 pm Reply with quote
During last week's sale of Funi titles at TRSI, I loaded up on all three seasons of the Slayers for an outrageous price, with free shipping. I almost made it all the way through season one this weekend.

Only getting into anime in 2006, all the old school is new to me.

I was really surprised by how much I am liking the Wallflower despite in my opinion, possibly some of the worst trailers I have come across in all my anime purchases and Netflix rentals.

Along with Simoun, the Wallflower has me purchasing the single volumes, and hoping they hurry up with the next (no such luck given the next volume release dates for both).

Gewürtztraminer
eely225

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:14 pm Reply with quote
I can only hope that Bamboo's favorite book is Writer's Inc...

As far as Slayers Try goes, I get what she's saying. It still holds a charm, but the charm is not quite the same.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Gewürtztraminer wrote:
During last week's sale of Funi titles at TRSI, I loaded up on all three seasons of the Slayers for an outrageous price, with free shipping. I almost made it all the way through season one this weekend.

Marathoning Slayers? Glad I usually have nowhere near the time to even consider something that crazy (*thought seed planted.*)

After last week's toss-up, it is reassuring to be back in the land of alphabetizers even if I disagree with the .hack placement (and order.) Though she may need to consider moving the psych books to the center if that upper shelf starts bowing any more.

Project Blue Earth has one of those covers that screams "if you don't read a mega-glowing review about me, run!" With no scheduled ANOD appearances (through May anyway, *sniffles* at all the good stuff non-Comcast providers get) Bamboo must have nailed it right.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Finally finished Slayers Season one tonight, stupid fun, and a needed break given my recent first time series completions: Saikano, Berserk, and Now and Then, Here and There.

Anime is strange in that shows like Slayers and Now and Then, Here and There can be enjoyable for entirely different reasons.

Now its back to Netflix (My Hime, Animation Runner Kuromi, and Solty Rei up next) and waiting on the Wallflower and Simoun releases (and Strawberry Panic, volume one was enjoyable).

Gewürtztraminer
Key

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Some have said that the animated version of The Wallflower pales in comparison to the original manga. . .

I'd like to know who's actually claiming this, as they are either a) insane or b) intractable manga elitists. I've read a few volumes of the manga, and can attest that it is far inferior to the anime version in every sense - at least based on the first two anime volumes, anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
recca25

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:10 am Reply with quote
I have some quibbles with the review of Project Blue Earth SOS v. 1.

Quote:
It's hard to pinpoint exactly what makes the show so lame. The story itself isn't terrible, but it is horribly written, and poorly paced. The techno-babble is almost meaningless, since it's never explained, and this ends up being pretty bad considering it's a crucial part of the series. The characters are also a bit Too Much. When the fate of the world rests upon two bratty teenage boys, a dog, a little girl, and an old dude, it makes me re-think my faith in the government.

It didn't feel to me that it was horribly written or poorly paced, but this is probably a subjective matter. But I do take issue with the assertion that having a good grasp of the techno-babble is crucial. The show seems to be meant to present in a somewhat more modern fashion the style and sense of adventure we find in shows like johnny quest. (The show actually reminds me a lot of the most recent reincarnation of jq, entitled 'the real adventures of johnny quest'.) To accomplish this goal, the show does not need to explain much the techno-terms it uses.

Also, if we think of the show as having something like this goal (and it seems plausible to think that it does), then it would no longer seem 'Too Much' (that is, unreasonable) that it portrays the fate of the world as being in the hands of two teenage boys, a dog, a girl, etc. (Plus, in anime, are the characters 'Too Much' if they are just teens and the fate of the world depends on them? Think of some of the mecha shows out there: Evangelion, Fafner, etc.)

Quote:
Not to mention all the other goofy sound effects they used to make this show seem like the most old school thing in the world.

As implied by what I wrote before, the show was probably meant to evoke an old school feel. So the fact that it uses the sound effects that it does is as it should be.

Personally, I thought that Project Blue Earth SOS v. 1 was quite good. I believe it accomplishes what it was meant to accomplish quite well. It's not great like the way (say) Berserk and Gankutsuou are great. But it was quite entertaining and well worth my time to watch.
irishninja

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:47 am Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
A fellow Amazing Agent Luna fan?! Excellent Cool

Whoa. I didn't realize it was up to volume 4. My local Barnes & Nobles stopped carrying it after volume 2 and I assumed it got canceled. I'm glad to see there's more waiting for me. Smile

In support of Bamboo's Slayers hypothesis, I was repelled by the show when it was really popular in the late 90s/early 00s, but now I find it quite hilarious and I'm glad it's being re-released. Smile
Quark

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Quote:
Some have said that the animated version of The Wallflower pales in comparison to the original manga. . .

I'd like to know who's actually claiming this, as they are either a) insane or b) intractable manga elitists. I've read a few volumes of the manga, and can attest that it is far inferior to the anime version in every sense - at least based on the first two anime volumes, anyway.

I was wondering about that too, as most of the reviews I've read for the manga on this site have been somewhat negative, and have accused it of dragging on for too long and for having too much filler. This is part of the reason why I'm interested in seeing the anime - a lot of the filler will probably get cut out, leaving the good stuff behind.
That being said, I haven't actually read the manga, or seen the anime. But I probably will pick up the DVDs the next time TRSI has an ADV sale.

About the Slayers review, I totally agree. When I first got into anime, I adored Slayers. A few years later when some friends were re-watching it, I just wasn't nearly as interested.
sunflower

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:57 am Reply with quote
The Wallflower manga is better, IMO, at first. It gets stale though as the mangaka recycles the same jokes over and over. There's no progression.

The anime is still in the pre-stale section of the story, so really you can't compare it to the whole of what's available in print. I personally didn't like what was done with the anime. The jokes felt far too "set-up" and weighty, and nothing ruins humor for me like that does.

As for the Angel Sanctuary OVA, it's incredibly confusing and a mess. Kaori Yuki may be confusing herself at times, but her art and story are heads above the anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2