• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: DreamWorks to Make 3D Live-Action Ghost in the Shell

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Hon'ya-chan wrote:
Kate Beckinsale

I'm inclined to agree at lest from a looks only perspective. All the other suggestions I've heard look a little too feminine, too small, some of em too young and none have the edge of toughness that would definitely be needed to pull of the role.

That said, I don't know that she's a good enough actress to pull it off. It's going to be one heck of a tricky role if they want to capture her character. I'd go with someone who can act the part over someone who looks the part.

Big Hed wrote:
Sargeant Weber wrote:
I seriously doubt Stevie has the fingers for this piece and by the way... no no no don´t think its a good idea that he gets his fingers on this one. Its far to good to be in the hands of a mere buisnessmaker

Perhaps Uwe Boll would be better suited, then? Wink

Thats not funny. Don't even joke about it. Ditto Micheal Bay.

DonQuigleone wrote:
I'm just hoping people don't see it as a matrix ripoff

I should hope not being that if anything it would be the other way around. (Of course thats not really accurate either despite it's heavy influence.)
LostPhrack

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Hon'ya-chan wrote:
Then again, we could be given a curveball and Spielberg somehow manages to inject his love of Anti-Nazi themes and influences and turns the major into an Agent for Mossad.

Shocked

A Mossad version Section 9.. my mind can't grasp something that badass.

Anywho.. if it wasn't for Transformers I'd actually be excited about this, but now.. ehh. It kind of put me of Spielberg adapting sci-fi-y properties in a producer capacity.

What about Jamie Moss though? Has anyone seen Street Kings yet? How was it? Last Man Home isn't out yet but those seem to be his only two writing credits.. that doesn't exactly fill me with hope.
Shaika-Dzari

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:39 pm Reply with quote
I'm a really big fan of GITS and Masamune Shirow and I'm very surprise by most of the reaction here... Confused

So the news is:
- Adapt by an american studio
- Produce by Steven Speilberg
- Written by Jamie Moss
- Without japanese actress

A japanese producer and writer with Shirow for concelor: Ok.
Hollywood who adapt (again!! Evil or Very Mad ) a japanese classic : F**k!

Seriously, this is the most horrible news of the year. Rolling Eyes
The Xenos

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Veoryn87 wrote:
I can actually see Summer Glau doing the part. I'd just have to look past her body, which is smaller and less... Curvy, than Motoko's, and the fact that she seems to young for the part. Of course I have no idea what Motoko's age is so......

If I may pimp my blog a bit, I had a post when Sarah Connor Chronicles came out. It pointed out that the poster with Glau's cybernetic torso looked a lot like a scene from the first GitS movie.

Meanwhile, I was thinking about having a non-Japanese actress in the role. (I kinda laugh at people thinking Lucy Liu is somehow better as she's not actually Japanese either.) In Japan we have kids right now getting plastic surgery to widen their eyes to look western or like cartoon characters. Meanwhile, the Major's body is fully cybernetic. So who's to say it is still Japanese looking. It is just a shell. Hell, there was even some question as to if she was female to begin with.
DonQuigleone wrote:
I'm just hoping people don't see it as a matrix ripoff

I've already seen someone on another board say that. HA! Backwards time universe. The Wachowskis actually openly admit they copied GitS for Matrix. They even showed their producer and the studio GitS as an example of what they wanted to make.
Shaika-Dzari wrote:
So the news is:
- Without japanese actress
Seriously, this is the most horrible news of the year. Rolling Eyes

Um.. where did you hear that news? Don't confuse (stupid) fan speculation with actual news.

DumbBrunette wrote:
Katee Sackhoff. Yeah, hair color is off, but a little dye job and in my view she's perfect. Capable actress, right looks, right voice.

Well the major has purple hair, so I can't think of any actress with the right hair color.
Shaika-Dzari

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:58 pm Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:

Um.. where did you hear that news? Don't confuse (stupid) fan speculation with actual news.

Ok, actually, this is some kind of anxiety Rolling Eyes
But, you must admit we did not see any japanese name in this news...
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Lackshmana wrote:

Is this going to be set in Japan? Will the characters be Japanese?

Will the actors me made to look like Japanese people with artificial bodies? Will it cover some kind of approximation of a story from one of the Manga series? Will it be its own thing entirely?

-RANT WARNING-

I am not going to give a good word for what Spielberg is doing at all.
Unless he plans to keep the futuristic Japanese setting and Japanese dialogue I'm not to recognise this as being part of the original franchise. The same applies to WB and Akira.

Am I being a narrow-minded and prejudiced fanboy? I most certainly am. I don't care about being branded with negative labels. What I care about is not having to see the anime I like not becoming associated with big American studios. I can't objectively explain why- it's just what I have somehow become inclined to feel.

-RANT OVER-

It should be noted that I take issue with adapting manga into hollywood films not because I'm a manga fan (which I'm not), but because I'm a fan of the existing anime which most people would associate the live action films with.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DarkTenshi90

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Yes. A MILLION TIMES. YES.

It's nice to know there's an awesome director wanting to make an anime (hopefully) even more awesome!
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:55 pm Reply with quote
No. NO. This is worse than the announcement of the Akira LA. Unless Spielberg keeps everything true it will be an epic failure.
braves

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Jozoiscute wrote:

Seriously....has anyone actually read the original "Jurassic Park" or "War of the Worlds" novels? VEEEERY different from the films.

I have read the first Jurassic Park novel. And while I found the movie to not be that good of an adaptation of the novel afterwards(it made the intelligent lawyer into a laughingstock thatspoiler[ got eaten]), I still found it to be an enjoyable movie nonetheless.

Anyways, I'm very excited for this one. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:17 pm Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
No. NO. This is worse than the announcement of the Akira LA. Unless Spielberg keeps everything true it will be an epic failure.

I have the same reaction with...everything. I don't see at all the need for remakes in general...much less remakes of something that was good. What is the point? How often to remakes add to anything? If that is to be accomplished there has to be considerable re-envisioning, no? I really hope they're up for that, and the fact that Spielberg seems to show some kind of personal interest would indicate thus. I'm optimistic.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Lackshmana wrote:

Is this going to be set in Japan? Will the characters be Japanese?

Will the actors me made to look like Japanese people with artificial bodies? Will it cover some kind of approximation of a story from one of the Manga series? Will it be its own thing entirely?

-RANT WARNING-

I am not going to give a good word for what Spielberg is doing at all.
Unless he plans to keep the futuristic Japanese setting and Japanese dialogue I'm not to recognise this as being part of the original franchise. The same applies to WB and Akira.

Am I being a narrow-minded and prejudiced fanboy? I most certainly am. I don't care about being branded with negative labels. What I care about is not having to see the anime I like not becoming associated with big American studios. I can't objectively explain why- it's just what I have somehow become inclined to feel.

-RANT OVER-

It should be noted that I take issue with adapting manga into hollywood films not because I'm a manga fan (which I'm not), but because I'm a fan of the existing anime which most people would associate the live action films with.

1) Calm Down.

2) If it were in Japanese and live action, who said that it would be good? I say, a live action adaptation of a series is rather difficult. To be honest...I think a person who isn't Asian could possibly pull it off. Even in Japan, their live action movies can sometime suck *cough*Casshern*cough*...

3) You don't need to watch it. There's really nothing too negative about it. If it does anything, I believe it would boost the popularity of the series, and people who haven't looked at it before may inquire of the movie's origins, and possibly get an original feel of the anime/manga. Nothing wrong with new fans, after all; even if some of them can be a little lost. Anime smile;

4) How many people you've known actually read the manga adaptation of GITS or even seen the original movie first? Most people know the series now...but in all honesty, I wonder out of that, what percentage really did read the manga or even watch the first movie. Some people dislike anime adaptations and prefer the manga, and vice versa.

*end rebuttal*
Falce

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Who plays who in my list:

Motoko - Monica Bellucci
Batou - Hugh Jackman or Eric Bana
Togusa - Orlando Bloom
Aramaki - Ron Rifkin
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:07 pm Reply with quote
People need to calm down and get some freaking perspective. This isn't a one way street you know. Hollywood will make changes, because they're adapting the story for a different audience, that's the reality of it. Will it "ruin it" for some fans? I suppose it will, but this isn't unique only to Hollywood so suck it up.

What has anime "ruined"? That list can be pretty long as well. Highlander? Count of Monte Cristo? Earthsea? Les Miserables? I could go on like this, but you get the point. Were those titles ruined, or just adapted for the audience anime is catering towards? Of course, as anime fans and part of that audience, you're not going to necessarily feel they were ruined because the changes, the style and the medium all work towards your tastes. You want Hollywood to stop adapting, then anime has no right to adapt either. Or you can just simmer down, get some freaking perspective, and stop having a heart attack over something so freaking trivial.

Until they're taking money from your wallet and making you watch the film, you have no place to complain. It doesn't effect the original in the least, it will still exist the same as it always has, just like the above mentioned books still exist in their original form. The creators signed off on the deals, and it's their work that is being adapted, and their call on whether it goes ahead or not. Not to mention the hypocrisy gets really quite old. The people that praise every anime adaptation announced, like the upcoming Batman, and blast everything that comes around when the traffic goes the other direction. Not to mention the people that claim most people are ignorant of anime and right it off too quickly based on limited knowledge, who are now attacking a movie that is nothing more than announcement; attacking something with no real knowledge of it other than that it exists.

Give it a rest already.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Goodpenguin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:46 pm Reply with quote
This isn't to court danger, but why is 'Ghost in the Shell' considered a sacrosanct masterpiece which must avoid desecration? As a work of fiction (manga form) it's entertaining, but on the whole it leans very heavily on stock Cyber-punk/sci-fi conventions. At best (in movie incarnation) it's in the class of works like 'Blade Runner' and 'The Matrix', visually driven stories with 'light sci-fi' backdrop for color.

Maybe it turns out great, maybe it stinks, but I have to think a segment of fans are really over-blowing the 'weight' of the source material a bit.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:19 am Reply with quote
I think I do indeed have it this time. The one probably most qualified to play Major Motoko Kusanagi: Milla Jovovich!!
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10