• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: DreamWorks to Make 3D Live-Action Ghost in the Shell

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:42 pm Reply with quote
The World We Know wrote:

Too many people look at anime as if there's nothing in live-action film that can compare. They don't realize, for example, that Steven Spielberg is a freakin' genius. And for those that say he can't handle complex, adult issues? Just watch A.I., which flopped in the theatres but which was really an amazing, deep and beautiful movie.

Osamu Tezuka's Astro Boy (and Pinocchio) handles the AI's issues better. AI would be ok if it would be at least 30 minutes shorter but still no master piece.
The World We Know

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Sorry to break this to you, but Spielberg has made bad movies. Not everything that comes out of him is gold, regardless of how much praise he gets from all sides. I agree that he is probably the best director, arguably, on the planet. However saying that everything he touches turns to a tour de force genius tale for the ages is as absurd as the people your describing, and reeks of blind elitism.

For the record, I am glad that Spielberg's company got this, and I hope that he will be directly and majorly involved. But I am not going to talk about his achievement until something has actually been achieved.

Don't be sorry...you didn't break anything new to me. Wink

Now, if I came across as saying that everything Spielberg touches turns into gold, then I regret it. Spielberg certainly has had his share of flops, though I'll argue that most of them are actually very decent films (1941 comes to mind). And his box office misses seem to equal his hits as of late (Amistad didn't tear it up, and War of the Worlds wasn't a mega-hit). The point that I tried to get across, maybe unsucessfully, is this:

1) Anime is not the end-all, be-all of cinematic/film experiences
2) Spielberg is more than capable of taking a high-concept anime and turning it into something terrific, and (gulp!) maybe even better!

I will take some offense to being called an elitist, however. An elitist for what - live action cinema over anime? That would be a preference, although I don't favor one over the other (maybe in general I like anime more, actually). A Spielberg elitist? Hmm...does that phrase even work? I'm not real sure on what point you figure me to be an elitist. But thanks for the rest of your insights - you have a very good argument, and one I can't fully disagree with.

Last edited by The World We Know on Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Goodpenguin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
Goodpenguin wrote:
but beyond that my point is segments of anime fandom sometimes need to stop treating anime in a vacuum, and be able to contextualize a work in a broader sense.
[...]
The first movie version is probably the most influential work in the franchise, and it succeeds directly along the lines of similar material like 'Blade Runner'/'The Matrix'-strong, inventive visual storytelling leaning on sci-fi backdrop, hodge-podge story. Checking the reviews on 'Rottentomatoes.com' the movie is evaluated almost universally on these lines; great visuals, light-weight story. 'Ghost in the Shell' is a notable adventure tale with appealing sci-fi backdrop, not a densely literate, original work that defies live-film adaptation. Maybe the work seems more 'deep' to those fans who never tread outside of anime's shadow, but overall this is more a triumph of visual aesthetic then story-telling (ala 'Blade Runner').

In otherwords Ghost in the Shell is a mediocre film at best. And anyone who thinks differently is obviously an ignorant zealot.

Sorry, I disagree. And for your information, I don't live in "anime's shadow". Blade Runner was a great film in it's own right, but GitS is unique enough to stand out and tell it very own story. And it's over comparison's and stretches of the imagination like those that starts to make going and seeing a movie not fun anymore. Over analysis can be good sometimes, and even fun, but more often than not it falls in the categories of unnecessary and tediously unimaginative.

That's a prickly take that widely misses the mark of what my point was, and illustrates how anime fans get too wrapped up in the medium.

'Ghost in the Shell' (the first) was a very entertaining movie, whose strength derives from it's visual story-telling. As long as a director has a strong sense of visual composition, it's a work that can be successfully adapted into live-action, contra some fandom gnashing of teeth that it will never work. 'Blade Runner' made for a memorable visual ride, and that was a success even though the plot paled in comparison to it's conceptually superior source material 'Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?'. Being that 'Ghost in the Shell' has fairly (comparatively speaking, and no, GitS isn't that 'unique' story-wise) mundane literary origins, and most of the 'wow' of the movie comes from it's visuals, there's nothing about this that says a live-action adaptation is inherently problematic.

Briefly evaluating what a works strengths are, and whether that translates into something that can be successfully achieved by film isn't 'over analysis'. Unless by 'over analysis' you mean 'only supply gushing praise about things I like'.
eviltimes

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:10 pm Reply with quote
just want to remind everybody who wants to cast these skinny actors as Motoko exactly what we're talkin about:

http://bp2.blogger.com/_esdiuy1uP-A/SAZqrvqM01I/AAAAAAAAAAs/UuWEgwClPwg/s1600-h/Motoko+on+Saya.jpg

Last edited by eviltimes on Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:15 pm Reply with quote
eviltimes wrote:
just want to remind everybody who wants to cast these skinny actors as Motoko exactly what we're talkin about:

http://bp2.blogger.com/_esdiuy1uP-A/SAZqrvqM01I/AAAAAAAAAAs/UuWEgwClPwg/s1600-h/Motoko+on+Saya.jpg

I think that a few of us have been looking at that issue. But given the fact that she is a cyborg, it may or may not fall into the balance. Now granted that if there is somebody who doesn't quite meet the build that we are all hoping for from Motoko, there will probably be public outcry. But hey, who says that the live action actress can't be sexy without jugs?
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:55 pm Reply with quote
The World We Know wrote:
1) Anime is not the end-all, be-all of cinematic/film experiences
2) Spielberg is more than capable of taking a high-concept anime and turning it into something terrific, and (gulp!) maybe even better!

I agree with both of these.

The World We Know wrote:
I will take some offense to being called an elitist, however. An elitists for what - live action cinema over anime? That would be a preference, although I don't favor one over the other (maybe in general I like anime more, actually). A Spielberg elitist? Hmm...does that phrase even work? I'm not real sure on what point you figure me to be an elitist.

To use your own words, and perhaps to my own fault, the point I "unsucessfully" was trying to make was not necessarily calling you an elitist per se. However the way you formulated and ordered your comments, you were basically sounding like the same thing you swaying against, only on the exact opposite side of the coin. What I was trying to get at, is that as written, perhaps you were dishing out a bit of the same thought processes that you were demeaning. That's all.
Goodpenguin wrote:
As long as a director has a strong sense of visual composition, it's[GitS] a work that can be successfully adapted into live-action, contra some fandom gnashing of teeth that it will never work.
[...]
there's nothing about this that says a live-action adaptation is inherently problematic.

And I never said anything to the contrary.
Goodpenguin wrote:
Unless by 'over analysis' you mean 'only supply gushing praise about things I like'.

No, it's more like this:
Goodpenguin wrote:
'Blade Runner' made for a memorable visual ride, and that was a success even though the plot paled in comparison to it's conceptually superior source material 'Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?'. Being that 'Ghost in the Shell' has fairly (comparatively speaking, and no, GitS isn't that 'unique' story-wise) mundane literary origins, and most of the 'wow' of the movie comes from it's visuals
[...]
The first movie version is probably the most influential work in the franchise, and it succeeds directly along the lines of similar material like 'Blade Runner'/'The Matrix'-strong
[...]
but overall this is more a triumph of visual aesthetic then story-telling (ala 'Blade Runner').
[...]
Outside of the 'cyberpunk' aesthetic (and at it's heart 'cyberpunk' is mostly a gritty, futuristic urban motif graphed on to more traditional sci-fi fair), it's general questions of technology and the nature of the human soul is a direct 'copy and paste' from sci-fi in the 50's and 60's (Bradbury, Dick, Ellison, etc.).

By constantly comparing it to similar works done in the past to such a level does nothing but cheapen it down to the basilar levels of done/not done before. This completly ignores any sort of creative output that may have gone into the story telling, by essentially labeling it as a rip-off. It's basically putting horse blinders on by seeing it as only a story that's already been told, and therefore by default inherently inferior. This is not the rantings of a fan "too wrapped up in the medium" or of someone living in "anime's shadow" as your thinly veiled insults suggest. When you break it down, almost every story ever told, even ones that seem new and original, have in fact already been told in the past. This goes back to ancient times, even in modern story telling. Simply the recognition of this fact, while precipitating it with a hoitytoity air, and using it as a basis of criticism is not only short sighted, but ends up stifling original thinking, not encouraging it.

This is not to say comparisons between works should not be made. But when those comparisons become the centerpiece of your criticisms, it's more a sign of the deadening of the senses, than it is constructive.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:40 pm Reply with quote
LostPhrack wrote:
Hon'ya-chan wrote:
Then again, we could be given a curveball and Spielberg somehow manages to inject his love of Anti-Nazi themes and influences and turns the major into an Agent for Mossad.

Shocked

A Mossad version Section 9.. my mind can't grasp something that badass.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabra_%28comics%29
Goodpenguin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:

Goodpenguin wrote:
'Blade Runner' made for a memorable visual ride, and that was a success even though the plot paled in comparison to it's conceptually superior source material 'Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?'. Being that 'Ghost in the Shell' has fairly (comparatively speaking, and no, GitS isn't that 'unique' story-wise) mundane literary origins, and most of the 'wow' of the movie comes from it's visuals
[...]
The first movie version is probably the most influential work in the franchise, and it succeeds directly along the lines of similar material like 'Blade Runner'/'The Matrix'-strong
[...]
but overall this is more a triumph of visual aesthetic then story-telling (ala 'Blade Runner').
[...]
Outside of the 'cyberpunk' aesthetic (and at it's heart 'cyberpunk' is mostly a gritty, futuristic urban motif graphed on to more traditional sci-fi fair), it's general questions of technology and the nature of the human soul is a direct 'copy and paste' from sci-fi in the 50's and 60's (Bradbury, Dick, Ellison, etc.).

By constantly comparing it to similar works done in the past to such a level does nothing but cheapen it down to the basilar levels of done/not done before. This completly ignores any sort of creative output that may have gone into the story telling, by essentially labeling it as a rip-off. It's basically putting horse blinders on by seeing it as only a story that's already been told, and therefore by default inherently inferior. This is not the rantings of a fan "too wrapped up in the medium" or of someone living in "anime's shadow" as your thinly veiled insults suggest. When you break it down, almost every story ever told, even ones that seem new and original, have in fact already been told in the past. This goes back to ancient times, even in modern story telling. Simply the recognition of this fact, while precipitating it with a hoitytoity air, and using it as a basis of criticism is not only short sighted, but ends up stifling original thinking, not encouraging it.

This is not to say comparisons between works should not be made. But when those comparisons become the centerpiece of your criticisms, it's more a sign of the deadening of the senses, than it is constructive.

Dargonxtc, you need to settle down a bit and read arguments in context. For some particular reason, making analogies or comparisons are at the writers peril on this forum, because people seem to go to great lengths to miss the whole point of them. I'm not bringing up 'Blade Runner' because I think 'Ghost in the Shell' will be some sort of lesser rip-off, I'm bringing it up because, like the first 'Ghost in the Shell' movie, it was a work that may have stumbled a bit in the story department but still was a success because of it's strong sci-fi visual landscape. I'm saying that fans groaning that no justice can be done to this title need to calm down, 'Ghost in the Shell' isn't like adapting 'Shadow and Claw', as long as someone with a strong visual composition sense helms it, it can be just as good/entertaining as the first animated movie.

Making comparisons to how other live action sci-fi movies made use of a strong visual style, or that the originality of 'Ghost in the Shell's' themes/story may be overstated by fans looking for reasons to predict adaptation failure, isn't 'hoitytoity', it's how people outside of adolescence discuss a works strengths and weaknesses, and what they liked/disliked from similar source material. If 'Ghost in the Shell' is placed as a serious, adult-aimed sci-fi, then the conversation can/should reflect that. And as an adult sci-fi fan, what made similar works succeed, and how 'Ghost in the Shell' stands up pro/con wise to similar genre efforts seems to be of interest not just to me but others in the thread as well. Or, like we see in the preview thread, fans can spend their time arguing over how it's a travesty that the latest episode of androgynous ninja high-schoolers saving the world was only rated A+++, when obviously any unbiased fool would have given it A++++.

Not every poster is 17, not every argument that weighs both pro and con is a snotty put-down, and if people want anime works like 'Ghost in the Shell' taken seriously, then it should withstand getting discussed seriously, and being measured against it's broader genre matches outside the medium. If you think I sell aspects of the title short, make an argument based in the material that explains your point of view-"Goodpenguin, I think you undersell 'GitS's story, I was struck by the originality of......". (I'm assuming you've got some clear reasons for thinking 'GitS' stronger in the story department then I do, but you spend all your time being cross at me, rather then actually arguing any of them). That's called a conversation, not everyone agrees, but it's interesting, let's peoples tastes and personalties come through, and generally make a dialogue fun. Or everyone can piss in each other's Cheerios if someone doesn't have the exact same opinion about a cartoon as they do, and nothing ever gets deeper then 'for or against', which seems to be the norm.
LostPhrack

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:01 am Reply with quote
Hon'ya-chan wrote:
LostPhrack wrote:
Hon'ya-chan wrote:
Then again, we could be given a curveball and Spielberg somehow manages to inject his love of Anti-Nazi themes and influences and turns the major into an Agent for Mossad.

Shocked

A Mossad version Section 9.. my mind can't grasp something that badass.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabra_%28comics%29

Yeah, I have a comic with her in it.. I.. I wouldn't exactly call it bad ass. Maybe they started doing a better job with her though.

Anyway this is getting kind of off topic soo.. uhh.. yeah, Jamie Moss! Street Kings! Been out for about half a week, anyone see it? Does it bode well for his handling of GitS?
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:54 am Reply with quote
Goodpenguin:

It seems a little unfair to tell Dargontxc to settle down and act like you're just being impartial and having a pro and con discussion. You seem to be getting a little unnecessarily upset here too. Maybe you both ought to calm down a bit and you'll find some common ground.

I also must point out that you have not actually provided much of an argument for your position on GitS either. Why do you feel it's story was weak? You too could elaborate on your position.
Goodpenguin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:52 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Goodpenguin:

It seems a little unfair to tell Dargontxc to settle down and act like you're just being impartial and having a pro and con discussion. You seem to be getting a little unnecessarily upset here too. Maybe you both ought to calm down a bit and you'll find some common ground.

I also must point out that you have not actually provided much of an argument for your position on GitS either. Why do you feel it's story was weak? You too could elaborate on your position.

There's a difference between being upset (in an emotional sense), and being tired of situations where instead of providing a counter-argument on the material up for discussion, a poster waxes on ad hominem. It's fine to disagree, but counter a person's idea, not what you think about the person. I don't hastily insinuate things about the posters motives/tastes, I try to clear what I think the poster is miss-reading into what I wrote, and exhort folks in general not to be so knee-jerk sensitive to weighing anime in ways beyond 'for or against'.

On your query about my thoughts on 'GitS' story strength, I hadn't overly elaborated on the issue because that wasn't what I was focusing on, but it seems to be the crux of what Dargonxtc is upset about. My overall point, that I've repeated several times to try to keep the heat down, was that fans moaning that it was sacrilege to try a live-action version of this and that it couldn't possibly work need to calm down and put things in perspective. 'GitS' doesn't get it's mojo from dense literary success, it derives from creating a very fluid, enjoyable sci-fi landscape mixed with action, and that several notable movies have found live-action success off the same formula. One poster in particular choose to overlook my strong overall praise for the title, and become upset over the aspect of it's story originality/strength, as well as multiple miss-reading of what comparisons were looking at. So no, it's not an issue of me being 'angry', it's a matter of understanding that not everyone is going to gush uncritically about every title (especially one that aims towards older audiences), and if you disagree make a counter argument of one's own to get a conversation going, don't wax sensitive over the posters perceived motives.

Re: what you asked me story-wise-In a quick nutshell both the manga and the first movie focus on themes of the nature of technology, changing perceptions of identity, and the nature of the soul/humanity, which is pretty par for the course for it's genre. No sin to ruminate on issues/themes that may be a bit conventional, but that put's a lot of onus on execution to carry the slack of themes that the reader/viewer has seen explored before. As another poster pointed out, the manga incarnation leaves a bit to be desired. As much as I love Shirows design work, looked at seriously the manga loads up on very goofy, teen-ish conventions, and more importantly kind of strangles itself with psychobabble for stretches. More to the point is Mamoru Oshii's first film, which as said is what most people probably focus on in regards to this franchise. It cut's through some of Shirows theme-creep and locks into identity/humanity issues, giving the movie needed streamlining. The only real stumbling block it runs into is, like an 'Akira' or 'Paprika', it presents an evocative theme but gives us the actual story through stilted exposition. Themes are spooned to the viewer through long stretches of dialouge in clunky moments, rather then woven into the film. This hurts a bit more, because as said earlier, this is far from the first time viewers are coming across this story-line, which stretches back to 50's/60's sci-fi, so one's not as likely to overlook the choppiness compared to more unique themes. At the end of the day the masterful way the film presents it's visuals, and the thoughtful way it guides it's general ideas, completely trump the clunkiness of exposition and somewhat familiar story-engine (and that's a formula I see no reason can't be duplicated successfully into live action, which dovetails back to my original point).
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Goodpenguin wrote:
Dargonxtc, you need to settle down a bit and read arguments in context.
I am completely settled, I don't know what gave you the impression otherwise. Perhaps because most of the escalating speech patterns are coming from you.
Goodpenguin wrote:
For some particular reason, making analogies or comparisons are at the writers peril on this forum, because people seem to go to great lengths to miss the whole point of them.

I think what you mean to say is; "No one better question GoodPenguin's criticisms, and especially not critique the methods in which he arrives at those conclusions, or you run the risk of being called an infantile fanboy who wouldn't understand cogitations if put right in front of him", as you have demonstrated in every single post including this one for the last three pages.

You know there are some points nestled inbetween your snide remarks that I would like to address. But frankly at this point your not even worth the effort, and I am growing tired of being called an adolescent mop. Although I do wish I had the body of when I was 17 Wink. I don't know what it is, whether you genuinely don't understand what it is I am trying to say. Or whether you are so thin-skinned that you take any criticism and take it as a personal attack on yourself instead of what you wrote, that you can't help yourself and fall back on standard internet troll disparagements. I don't know whether you read every sentence or just skipped around but there is a huge difference between questioning the reasoning behind someone's opinion, and a personal attack. A personal attack is "NA NAH NAH, your just a stupid Narutard, you can't understand", which is essentially what you have proven quite capable of at every turn.

So good Sir, with that I bid you adieu. You will hear no more questioning out of me. Good Job, you own this thread. May your E-phallus grow to unimaginable girth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Ahem...

Code:
FADE IN
EXT. ANN FORUMS - SUNSET

A discussion thread is on fire, and as the flames crackle and the tottering edifice of the once-proud thread creaks and moans, preparing for the final collapse, someone steps out of the evening shadows into the shared light of the setting sun and the flickering flames. It is a moderator, carrying a huge key.

(talking to himself)
They did it again. Crying shame, but now it'll have to be locked off. Can't have anyone wandering in and getting hurt in the collapse.

The moderator locks the door of the burning thread, careful not to come into contact with the fire. As he does so, a morose crowd looks on. He turns to them, with a frown.

MODERATOR (CONT'D)
(sternly)
Look what you did here. Nobody needs this kind of bother. Now be off with you. There's nothing more to be done here, the place will have to burn down on its own. In the future, behave yourselves.

He finishes locking up, and wanders off into the fading twilight. Behind him, the crowd mutters for a while, then disperses.

FADE OUT

THE END

Locked.

- abunai
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10