• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Spider-Man Co-Creator Stan Lee Interviewed on Ultimo

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bleuster

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:23 am Reply with quote
I hope it's as good as the second volume of Mangaverse was.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:59 am Reply with quote
And now we know... Takei is the one writing the story. Lee is only adapting it into English... I hope this turns out better than the last time we had a comic book writer adapt a manga into english (looks sadly at the mess that is Ikki Tousen/Battle Vixens). If nothing else, I can just buy the original Japanese versions.
rashrover

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:56 am Reply with quote
Actually, if you listen to the podcast, Stan says that first he wrote a scenario, or detailed outline, of the story and sent it to Takei to base his artwork on. So Lee is doing more than just adapting the story into English.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Stan Lee takes care of the general outline of the story, but it seems Takei will not only do the artwork but also the dialogue in Japanese while Stan will do the dialogue in English.

So, there may be some difference in dialogue, depending on how a Japanese would say it and how an American would say the same thing.
BehindPastEyes
SPAMMER

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like the old Marvel Method lives on. He used to do this with Ditko and Kirby during their stints at Marvel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_method
rashrover

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, in the interview Stan says it's different because of the distance between him and Takei, but it really just is the classic Marvel Method with a lot of translators and interpreters.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1