• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yen Press Acquires Haruhi Suzumiya Manga in N. America

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShugoYotsuba

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:46 am Reply with quote
All right!!!

Now they need to bring over the Lucky☆Star manga, the Zenki manga, Cross Game , Okami to Koushinryou (Spice and Wolf), and many many more!!!!

Plus I thought Tokyopop or VIZ Media would pick these up, but they proved me wrong again just like when I thought ADV Films was going to license The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya anime, and have Kira Vincent-Davis play Haruhi, back when I was watching the fansubs (though I only saw four episodes, I saw all 14 episodes, dubbed and subbed, and enjoyed both of them when I bought all 4 DVD's).

BUT ANYWAY, THIS IS AWESOME !!!!

DATA DRAIN - Shugo Kunisaki (.hack//)

[/i]
Hotaruzuki

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:28 am Reply with quote
Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes.

YESYESYESYESYESYESYESYES

YESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYES

YES~!!!!!!!![i] ^^
irishninja

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:52 am Reply with quote
Woohoo!!! Very Happy
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Although I'm not a fan of this series, it is good that someone's bringing it to the US. I don't think they'll cut parts out of the books or anything (like 4Kids). Check out Tokyopop and Seven Seas? I think this'll be Yen Press's first release of light novels. If that's the case, SOMEONE PLEASE BRING SHOUNEN ONMYOUJI!!! Very Happy I love that series to death! Or maybe Lucky Star or Shigofumi or Mamacolle!
DRWii

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Meccanica wrote:
DRWii wrote:
If I remember correctly, the novel has the same content as the episodes based on it, except for that one line in the show (after Haruhi has the club president grope Mikuru) that was bleeped; the translation I saw said "gangrapped". Personally I thought it was funnier with the bleep instead.

The bleep is in the Japanese track too...

...I never said it wasn't on the Japanese track; I'm saying the show censored the line from the book. Of course, it's funnier with the bleep in either language.

And since I'm posting any way, I'll just say that I hope that the original "Le Chevalier D'eon" (EDIT: "d'Eon"?) and "Paprika" novels get brought over by someone.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:57 pm Reply with quote
omnistry wrote:
Should I be worried that they'll censor the light novels (since it's Little, Brown Books for Young Readers)?

Yes, I'd hate to lose all those steamy passionate sex scenes between Kyon and Itsuki.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:17 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
I think this'll be Yen Press's first release of light novels.

Yen Press is releasing the manga. Little, Brown is releasing the light novels. Despite being two imprints of the same company, said companies are not quite the same entities (Little, Brown especially has a very long history before it was bought by Time Warner and then subsequently bought by Hachette).
ReiClone88

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:08 am Reply with quote
Hardcover for the light novels? Excellent! Cool
quigonkenny

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:57 pm Reply with quote
DRWii wrote:
Richard J. wrote:
Hope the light novels won't be censored. Having avoided fan translations, I have no idea if there's any content that might be a problem. I'm surprised the light novels won't be released through the same imprint though.

If I remember correctly, the novel has the same content as the episodes based on it, except for that one line in the show (after Haruhi has the club president grope Mikuru) that was bleeped; the translation I saw said "gangrapped". Personally I thought it was funnier with the bleep instead.

The anime also (heavily) rewrote the "Remote Island" episode(s) to remove any reference to the group—all underage, mind you—getting s**tface drunk. I think that's the thing that stands out as most likely to get censored in the English translation. Everything else is fairly tame. That is, too, actually, but underage alcohol usage is a bit of a taboo...
Rikabu

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:30 am Reply with quote
Praise the Lord. So glad to finally get print versions to read in English!! WOOT
Axe-336

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Wow, well actually I've noticed a good number of Japanese light fiction in English format recently working at B&N, so I guess its mostly surprising due to its close anime association.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5