• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What is your opinion on Tsundere type animes?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MobiusBlaze

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:31 pm Reply with quote
So I know there isn't many of these to begin with and i've only recently gotten into the whole Tsundere animes, but so far with the ones i've seen its been really good and really gives you alot of plot to work with, any opinions on it?
skyfishing

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:41 pm Reply with quote
well could you give me some examples of what Tsundere type animes are? usually that would help then maybe i can have a opinion and then let you know my opinion.

please mind my sarcasm inform me on what the anime type is and if you can name some anime that fall into this category.
MobiusBlaze

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Well mainly referring to shows like Shakugan no Shana, Zero no Tsukaima, Full Metal Panic, and Hayate no Gotoku just to name a few.
Ultenth

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Maybe try editing your original post to give examples, as well as your own opinion on tsundere type characters in anime. This helps create a discussion, instead of just posting a sentance then asking people to give you their opinion, which will usually get a thread locked. In other words I suggest putting more thought into your post and elaborating your own position as well as what exactly you're asking from others besides if people like/dislike tsundere's. I suggest doing it soon before this thread gets locked.

(By the way, personally I hate most tsundere's, especially recent ones because they are mostly simply bi-polar, and not true tsundere's. Real life women are bi-polar enough, I don't see why people would find crazy fantasy women appealling, except maybe if they haven't dated a real one in a while.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:55 pm Reply with quote
"Tsundere" is a term used to represent characters (usually girls) who start out very cold towards the main character and then grow to like them.

It's a contraction of "tsuntsun deredere."

Examples of Tsundere characters are Tohsaka Rin from Fate/Stay Night and Narusegawa Naru from Love Hina.
Ultenth

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:58 pm Reply with quote
HyugaHinata wrote:
"Tsundere" is a term used to represent characters (usually girls) who start out very cold towards the main character and then grow to like them.

It's a contraction of "tsuntsun deredere."

Examples of Tsundere characters are Tohsaka Rin from Fate/Stay Night and Narusegawa Naru from Love Hina.

Yes, but I believe he's referring to the recent glut of bi-polar lolita's posing as tsundere's. Unfortunately the current connotation of tsundere is starting to take on that meaning, simply because of the quantity of people mis-using the word. Which is wierd because bi-polar has been around a long time, and fits those girls perfectly, maybe it just doesn't sound cool enough though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:15 pm Reply with quote
@skyfishing: Google is your friend.

Ultenth wrote:
Yes, but I believe he's referring to the recent glut of bi-polar lolita's posing as tsundere's. Unfortunately the current connotation of tsundere is starting to take on that meaning, simply because of the quantity of people mis-using the word.

The first girl publicly described as tsundere was Ayu Daikūji of KimiNozo, so get over with it. MobiusBlaze also mentioned Kaname Chidori of FMP! so he shouldn't have the problem of misusing the term.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Overall? Well, it's a character type, and like any type it can be done very effectively, but comes off as cliche or annoying when it's done badly, and the majority aren't done well. Tsundere is in a slightly worse situation then most because it can drift into the whole "badass chick who turns to jelly when met by the charismatic main character" deal. But it's a valid character type, and not nearly as cringeworthy as the obligatory lolicon girl.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:40 pm Reply with quote
I don't like Tsunderes, just like I don't like any character simple enough that they can be summarized effectively into a character type. Or rather, I don't like characters identical enough that you either like them all or don't like them all. If a character can truly be classified as such then they probably need to be developed more.

dormcat wrote:
@skyfishing: Google is your friend.

I didn't realize ANN's policy had changed from having to provide some manner of detail in your OP to "just be as brief as possible and let people figure out what the heck you're talking about for themselves." Wink
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:54 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
I didn't realize ANN's policy had changed from having to provide some manner of detail in your OP to "just be as brief as possible and let people figure out what the heck you're talking about for themselves." Wink

First, my words are not ANN's policy. Even replies written by administrators are often their personal opinions rather than anything else. Second, because you haven't seen enough and been tired of questions like "what's the difference between anime and manga" or "is Avatar the Last Airbender anime." The thread opener wasn't fabulous at all, but it was always better to look up the term oneself before asking others.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:15 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:

First, my words are not ANN's policy. Even replies written by administrators are often their personal opinions rather than anything else. Second, because you haven't seen enough and been tired of questions like "what's the difference between anime and manga" or "is Avatar the Last Airbender anime." The thread opener wasn't fabulous at all, but it was always better to look up the term oneself before asking others.

Oh come on, don't be like that. I'm only teasing you. Thats why I put a Wink emoticon, to emote that I'm just joking.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:53 am Reply with quote
If you two are going to start figh- I mean, debating intensely again, could you warn the rest of us? We need to get set up with popcorn and beverages first, OK?

I'm kidding -- I don't want to have to lock this thread. Despite the rather weak opening, it has some potential for intelligent discussion... so both of you, chill.

- abunai
Olliff

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:03 am Reply with quote
Garth Brooks wrote:

She's sun and rain.
She's fire and ice.
A little crazy, but it's nice.
And when she gets mad,
you best leave her alone.
She'll rage just like a river,
then she'll beg you to forgive her.
She's every woman that I've ever known.

While a little off, this isn't a bad description of this character type.

When you say tsundere type animes, do you mean animes like Tsuyokiss - Cool x Sweet, where spoiler[almost everyone is this character type] or do you mean animes that have one character of this type? I do agree that this character type is a cliche, but it is rare for the presence of a single tsundere character to ruin an entire series. However, in the case of Tsuyokiss - Cool x Sweet the tsudnere type characters do make the show unwatchable. Too much cliche is a bad a thing unless, of course, you are making a parody or gag anime.

Personally, an anime having one character like this usually doesn't make or break the series. Some other cliches are far worse and can even define a whole genre, such as case of this:

[img=http://img378.imageshack.us/img378/5279/clicheyk8.th.jpg]

I know this isn't true for all mechas, but you can see the point that I am trying to make. Bonus points if you can name the show that this is from.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:06 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
If you two are going to start figh- I mean, debating intensely again, could you warn the rest of us? We need to get set up with popcorn and beverages first, OK?

I'm kidding -- I don't want to have to lock this thread. Despite the rather weak opening, it has some potential for intelligent discussion... so both of you, chill.

- abunai

What? I'm perfectly chilled. Christ, I make a little joke and suddenly Dormcat is all up in arms, you're telling us to chill. I mean come on. it's just teh internet guys? Do we really need to be this high strung?
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:27 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
What? I'm perfectly chilled. Christ, I make a little joke and suddenly Dormcat is all up in arms, you're telling us to chill. I mean come on. it's just teh internet guys? Do we really need to be this high strung?

That depends. Do you really feel the need to heat up this debate with cheap shots? I don't buy your "I used an emoticon, so it's okay to say whatever" excuse. It was a jab, unmistakeably meant to provoke.

Enough - I told you both to chill, and you'd do well to take that advice.

- abunai
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4