• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Entertainment Adds Ghost in the Shell: Innocence

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:26 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
People who call GITS pretentious don't know anything about real sci-fi, and probably take those Star Wars prequels seriously. Rolling Eyes

I know I did. Wink
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:40 am Reply with quote
Looking forward to the Blu-ray version. I already have the R2 International Version.
RadicaLElly

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:09 am Reply with quote
Glad I decided to view this thread. From the way most people reacted to Innocence when it first came out I felt like not only was I one of the only people who liked this film, but apparently I was one of even less who were even able follow the plot. To say it's abstract is an understatement, but it's not THAT hard to follow. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
DarkCntry

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:25 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
People who call GITS pretentious don't know anything about real sci-fi, and probably take those Star Wars prequels seriously. Rolling Eyes

I would more say that someone who doesn't call the franchise pretentious doesn't have a decent enough grasp on the usage of the word...

RadicaLElly wrote:
Glad I decided to view this thread. From the way most people reacted to Innocence when it first came out I felt like not only was I one of the only people who liked this film, but apparently I was one of even less who were even able follow the plot. To say it's abstract is an understatement, but it's not THAT hard to follow. Rolling Eyes

Don't feel bad, having been a long-time fan of the franchise there were quite a few "wtf moments" to keep me going. There's plenty of twists to it, albeit not deep twists, it's just that they made them so entwined with the overarching story that it sometimes caught people off-guard.
daedelus

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:15 am Reply with quote
Yet another example that patience is a virtue! Smile

I can't say exactly how many times I almost bought the sub-only release, only to stop myself because I always believed R1 would get a dub someday. GITS is just too big of a franchise to not dub Innocence for R1. I haven't seen this since it's run in theaters, so I can't really remember the plot at all. I do remember the beautiful scenes which should look outstanding in HD.

Now if only we could get a release date....
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:17 am Reply with quote
So if BE are using the same people what voiced SAC, which is what ME,UK used as well, What is the point of redubbing it yet again? Or are they going to use the different VA's what did the "Laughing Man" and "Individual Eleven" re- issues? Oh well at least the VA's get another piece of the pie.
Seif

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:49 am Reply with quote
It's not the TV dub people.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:54 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

But of course. Because as we all know, if you don't share the same opinions as the almighty GATSU you must be a idiot with poor taste.
CitizenGeek

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:00 am Reply with quote
A new dub seems a little unnecessary; I found Innocence dub to be great.
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:33 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
So if BE are using the same people what voiced SAC, which is what ME,UK used as well, What is the point of redubbing it yet again? Or are they going to use the different VA's what did the "Laughing Man" and "Individual Eleven" re- issues? Oh well at least the VA's get another piece of the pie.

The UK dub didn't use the LA crew who dubbed the series and Solid State Society, hence specifically being called "the UK dub" Razz. I'm glad for this redub, the GitS SAC/2nd Gig/SSS dubs are some of the better dubs around. GitS fans have been asking for this for a while.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:07 am Reply with quote
Wow... and here I was just thinking about this movie the other day and the fact that I'd never gotten around to seeing it. Now I find out it's being re-released by Bandai Ent. (my favorite anime company) with a dub, most likely new subtitles and being released on Blu-Ray to boot. Thanks so much for some good news to make my weekend even better. Anime hyper
narutoismybrother

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:11 am Reply with quote
Well it's high time for me to buy a blu-ray player. Watching this in high def would be simply breathtaking. Even if I don't get one I'll buy the dvd release simply for the dub because, personally, it's quite annoying for me to watch anything Ghost in the Shell in subtitles, 1. Because I want to pay attention to the art and 2. Trying to read and digest all that information through subtitles is quite a task that I find a bit irritating. Though, I do always watch anime with subtitles, but for certain ones, such as this, I think it's better to watch with a dub.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:23 am Reply with quote
There exists the opinion that Innocence is better than the first film.
It doesn't end abruptly, isn't too short and (in my opinion) makes the Major's decision at the end of GITS1 easier to come to terms with.
The almost endless quoting isn't for everyone, but it feels apt considering "external memory" seems to be a key theme throughout the franchise.
It's the best thing I've seen to contain philosophy of mind and heavy machine gunning in equal measure.

I got both films in a boxset for a tenner. Huzzah for R2.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:44 am Reply with quote
With BE entering the Blu-ray bandwagon the odds of seeing the BE owned Gundam series which are currently getting Blu-ray releases in Japan (From BV Japan) seem more likely. I have been debating on getting Char's Counterattack and F-91 from BV Japan, but will now wait patiently for a potentially cheaper BE Blu-ray US release with subs.
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:30 am Reply with quote
CitizenGeek wrote:
A new dub seems a little unnecessary; I found Innocence dub to be great.

The American release didn't have a dub. So it is necessary to dub here.

Quote:
It's not the TV dub people.

Where does it say that?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5