• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Entertainment Adds Ghost in the Shell: Innocence

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KiraV

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:17 am Reply with quote
Seif wrote:
It's not the TV dub people.

It should be. They say it's the Solid state Society cast, and that was done by the SAC TV cast. It was the *other* SAC movies had the Ocean one.
leftbehindxp

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:35 am Reply with quote
I hope that it is the same dub from the TV series, and if it isn't then I'm not gonna buy the movie again. TV dub is amazing, it would feel different if they didn't have the same VA's. That's kind of why I didn't buy the Laughing Man or the Individual Eleven File DVD's. Honestly I didn't even notice how "horrible" the subtitles were on the Dreamworks version.
samuraiwalt

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:54 am Reply with quote
RogueJedi86 wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
So if BE are using the same people what voiced SAC, which is what ME,UK used as well, What is the point of redubbing it yet again? Or are they going to use the different VA's what did the "Laughing Man" and "Individual Eleven" re- issues? Oh well at least the VA's get another piece of the pie.

The UK dub didn't use the LA crew who dubbed the series and Solid State Society, hence specifically being called "the UK dub" Razz. I'm glad for this redub, the GitS SAC/2nd Gig/SSS dubs are some of the better dubs around. GitS fans have been asking for this for a while.

If the english dub listed in the encylopedia is the UK dub then it's the same cast as the TV series.
varmintx

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:10 am Reply with quote
I have the R2/UK release; it's the same cast as the series and SSS. And since that dub is excellent, I don't really understand why they need to make another one (unless it's a legal issue). But either way, the Blu-ray will be a must-buy for me considering my NA PS3 (with its excellent upscaling) can't play the DVD.
eviltimes

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:16 am Reply with quote
The R2 release uses the same VA cast as SAC and they are Texans!
Lackshmana

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:50 am Reply with quote
This does all seem very confusing.

The UK dub was the same people that dubbed the original movie and the GitS TV series.

It says the Solid State Society people will dub this one....which is still the same people.

So what is it that they are saying?

I wasn't previously aware that the compilation movies (laughing man and individual eleven) had been dubbed by Ocean.

I would be happy to get the same dub team that I have always known for GitS Innocence, but I do NOT want the Ocean group all of a sudden doing it.

This really makes no sense at all.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:29 am Reply with quote
samuraiwalt wrote:
RogueJedi86 wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
So if BE are using the same people what voiced SAC, which is what ME,UK used as well, What is the point of redubbing it yet again? Or are they going to use the different VA's what did the "Laughing Man" and "Individual Eleven" re- issues? Oh well at least the VA's get another piece of the pie.

The UK dub didn't use the LA crew who dubbed the series and Solid State Society, hence specifically being called "the UK dub" Razz. I'm glad for this redub, the GitS SAC/2nd Gig/SSS dubs are some of the better dubs around. GitS fans have been asking for this for a while.

If the english dub listed in the encylopedia is the UK dub then it's the same cast as the TV series.
I thank you. Wink
Seif

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:32 pm Reply with quote
The article says that Bandai is providing a new dub like they did with the Solid State Society.

Which had a different cast as the TV series.
OnanRulz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Seif wrote:
The article says that Bandai is providing a new dub like they did with the Solid State Society.

Quote:
Bandai Entertainment President and CEO Ken Iyadomi said that the English dub is an "all-new" one from the same studio that dubbed the Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex: Solid State Society television movie.

You must be reading a different article.

And who from the cast of SSC is different from the cast of the series?
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:05 pm Reply with quote
A shout out there to Bluray buyers: if you buy a player make sure it takes firmware updates. Lots of them don't. PlayStation 3 does.

Not a dub wubber myself but I won't be the first to point out the ATROCIOUS subtitle track on the Dreamworks disc. It was more of a closed-caption endeavor, which is great if you're deaf, but you'd think they could separate the two. To their credit though, the technical aspects were pretty tight. The 5.1 track knocked a painting off my wall...
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Seif wrote:

I'm looking at ANN's encyclopedia entries for the series and the 3rd movie and they each have the same dub actors.
indrik

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Ok- we all know that Dreamworks released a version of Innocence with normal subs, right? Just throwing that out there. I have both versions.

I too don't understand why they'd redo the dub, since it appears that ZRO did SSS, SAC, and 2nd Gig. The encyclopedia lists Epcar Entertainment as having done ADR on the English dub of Innocence using the same cast- I imagine that's Richard Epcar. I wonder if it is, in fact, a licensing/legal issue with using that dub. But assuming it's the same cast, which it appears to be, I'd buy it. Maybe even the Blu ray, and pack it away until I pick up a bluray player.
jdnation

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:29 pm Reply with quote
A dub really should've been there in the first place. Dreamwork's messed up by not doing it and there was the crappy incident with messing up the subtitles and having to replace discs.

I am curious about getting this on blu-ray though, but the DVD looks nice enough already even on my HDTV. A dub would definately help a dialogue heavy film like Innocence.

And GITS is pretentious. But it's the good kind of pretentious! People toss around that word with a derogatory slant whenever they are approached by something that requires more patience, attention and reflection and uses some big obscure words ever now and then.

In fact the idea with Innocence with the characters directly quoting philosophers/ writers is that in the GITS world everyone's electronic brains can easily store and reference exact quotations and get them directly from the net. Batou and Togusa occasionally make a game out of it to pick at each other's minds. Their future world transcends ours and everything is made to feel foreign, mystical and distant to the viewer, it would be like a person from the past traveling to the future to our time and getting lost in technology, mannerisms and dialogue that feels completely natural and common to us. Being more educated in general the way we speak and the things we discuss might even sound 'pretentious' to them... Only in this case, particularly with GITS the merging of humanity and machinery and electronics make them more 'evolved' and hard to relate to...

This is a big theme throughout GITS, about what specifically is human and whether the more we pursue mechanization or digitilization we become less 'human' and how much more can we blur the lines between man and machine when machines themselves simultaneously start to display human-like qualities... It's quite eriee and and uncomfortable, the direction and presentation of Innocence sort of seeks to make the viewer uneasy. At least that's what I get from it.
thedigitalsin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Okay, let me sum it up for you folks, since you seemed rather confused.

The UK/AUS DVD features a dub done by Epcar Entertainment. It uses the same voice actors from the TV series and Solid State Society, but the script and direction were done by Richard Epcar, based on a translation by Yurika Dennis.

This new dub will be handled by Animaze/ZRO Limit, which handled the production of the TV series and Solid State Society, and will feature the return of the principal cast (Epcar, McGlynn, Freeman, Knight, etc.). There will likely be some cast changes for other characters such as Kim and Haraway. Judging by the previous productions, the direction will be done by Kevin Seymour and the script by Mary Claypool, based off a translation by David Fleming.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Alright Innocence, this is your last chance. I've been screwed over four times by purchasing Innocence DVDs that had no proper English subtitles. If this DVD is messed up as well, I'm not only never going to purchase a U.S. release of a Ghost in the Shell DVD but I'm also never purchasing a Bandai Entertainment DVD either.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5