• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Entertainment Adds Ghost in the Shell: Innocence

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:33 pm Reply with quote
indrik wrote:
I too don't understand why they'd redo the dub,

Here is just a thought, but perhaps Manga UK didn't allow them to use the dub. Or, maybe they were trying to charge so much for it that Bandai just said, no thanks we'll make another dub and make it one of our main selling points even though the principle cast will be the same.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:26 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken: You don't have to be a genius or have great taste to not like Innocence, but you probably have to come up with a better description of the film than "pretentious". "Artsy" is fine; I'll even take "pointless". But "pretentious" is for something which jerks you around and manipulates you, while trying to pretend it's deep. [See the movie version of V for Vendetta.] Innocence simply looks into the world of the last film, no more, no less.
Lackshmana

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:55 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
But "pretentious" is for something which jerks you around and manipulates you, while trying to pretend it's deep. [See the movie version of V for Vendetta.]

Quoted for epic truth.
Screw that movie and its obliteration of intelligent discourse.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Lackshmana

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:56 pm Reply with quote
thedigitalsin wrote:
Okay, let me sum it up for you folks, since you seemed rather confused.

The UK/AUS DVD features a dub done by Epcar Entertainment. It uses the same voice actors from the TV series and Solid State Society, but the script and direction were done by Richard Epcar, based on a translation by Yurika Dennis.

This new dub will be handled by Animaze/ZRO Limit, which handled the production of the TV series and Solid State Society, and will feature the return of the principal cast (Epcar, McGlynn, Freeman, Knight, etc.). There will likely be some cast changes for other characters such as Kim and Haraway. Judging by the previous productions, the direction will be done by Kevin Seymour and the script by Mary Claypool, based off a translation by David Fleming.

So then the idea here is that it will use the same principal cast as the UK dub, but with some different minor characters, a different staff, translation and production studio?

Because that actually makes some sense, despite seeming a bit redundant.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Goodpenguin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:06 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
"Artsy" is fine; I'll even take "pointless". But "pretentious" is for something which jerks you around and manipulates you, while trying to pretend it's deep. [See the movie version of V for Vendetta.] Innocence simply looks into the world of the last film, no more, no less.

If you don't want to call it pretentious, at the very least it's extremely unwieldy in the narrative department. 'Innocence' is like a concentrated reduction of the first film; the already strong visuals improve, but the more austere handling of background themes suffers. You can appreciate what Mamoru Oshii was after, but it's almost like he picked a handful of various philosophy that appealed to him and forced it raw, lock, stock, and barrel, into the narrative. It's really missing that 'woven into the story' quality that kept the first movie from weighing itself down. 'Innocence' runs like it's 'Mamoru Oshii's favorite philosophy questions, as presented by GitS's characters.' The main thing that would move it a bit from 'unwieldy' to 'pretentious' (in my personal opinion), is the narrative clogs up over themes that aren't exactly fresh territory, which I see was also mentioned in the ANN review...

Quote:
Perhaps if Oshii had bothered to introduce some concepts that weren't thoroughly discussed in the first Ghost in the Shell (or at least something that hadn't been visited in countless other sci-fi thinkpieces over the past 10 years), Innocence might have felt a little fresher.

..so it's a little harder to give a pass to certain narrative choices. I don't think this was intended to be a 'faux-snooty' film, which is usually the undercurrent when people toss around 'pretentious', but I do think there's huge chunks of philosophy-flavored exposition awkwardly crammed into the story, and it very much misses the lighter, contemplative touch of the first. Mileage will vary, I assume.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:16 am Reply with quote
Now there's a double-dip I won't mind ...

BD release + English dub + not released by their evil twin = win^3
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:28 am Reply with quote
GoodPenguin:
Quote:
'Innocence' is like a concentrated reduction of the first film;

It's a sequel. What did you expect?

Quote:
You can appreciate what Mamoru Oshii was after, but it's almost like he picked a handful of various philosophy that appealed to him and forced it raw, lock, stock, and barrel, into the narrative.

And that differs from the manga, because...?

Quote:
It's really missing that 'woven into the story' quality that kept the first movie from weighing itself down.

That's probably because the first movie was meant to expand the setting, while this one is supposed to provide insight into the characters.

Quote:
Perhaps if Oshii had bothered to introduce some concepts that weren't thoroughly discussed in the first Ghost in the Shell (or at least something that hadn't been visited in countless other sci-fi thinkpieces over the past 10 years), Innocence might have felt a little fresher.

Illegal organ-harvesting and manufacturing is an "old" sci-fi concept? And the Shinto view of an inanimate figure versus a living thing is also yesterday's news? That's news to me.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:48 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
ikillchicken: You don't have to be a genius or have great taste to not like Innocence, but you probably have to come up with a better description of the film than "pretentious". "Artsy" is fine; I'll even take "pointless". But "pretentious" is for something which jerks you around and manipulates you, while trying to pretend it's deep. [See the movie version of V for Vendetta.] Innocence simply looks into the world of the last film, no more, no less.

I have no intention of getting into a discussion about this. Especially one as semantic as this. I would still define it as pretentious. You're entitled to your opinion though just as others are entitled to their own. For this reason I take issue with comments like yours which seem to imply that those who disagree with you are wrong.
joetron2030

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:49 am Reply with quote
There seems to be some confusion (maybe only on my part), but to be clear...

The initial Dreamworks release of the R1 DVD did not have a proper english subtitle track. It had, instead, a close caption track. Dreamworks got enough flack (or realized the error on their own, I don't recall), that they offered to replace DVDs. I should know, I was one who was affected by this and sent for and received a replacement.

Has anyone seen anything about new sub track? I had assumed that the subtitle track would be the same as the repaired version of the R1 DVD.
samuraiwalt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:24 am Reply with quote
Lackshmana wrote:

The UK dub was the same people that dubbed the original movie and the GitS TV series.

The UK dub has the same cast as the TV series. The dub cast for the original movie and the GitS TV series are different.
Lackshmana

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:42 am Reply with quote
samuraiwalt wrote:
Lackshmana wrote:

The UK dub was the same people that dubbed the original movie and the GitS TV series.

The UK dub has the same cast as the TV series. The dub cast for the original movie and the GitS TV series are different.

Not completely, Batou was the same VA in the movie and TV series, but I was actually referring to the studio that dubbed it, not the specific cast. I should have been more clear and differentiated between cast and studio in my statement.
eviltimes

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:00 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Illegal organ-harvesting and manufacturing is an "old" sci-fi concept? And the Shinto view of an inanimate figure versus a living thing is also yesterday's news? That's news to me.

"The Jigsaw Man" by Larry Niven in 1967 http://www.technovelgy.com/ct/content.asp?Bnum=337
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:03 pm Reply with quote
evil: That just goes into harvesting, not manufacturing.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:32 pm Reply with quote
I might actually rent this to see if I still enjoy the visuals as much as I do. It's really a beautiful movie, something that deserves to be seen in HD.

I'll also probably regret this, very well knowing Gatsu's history, but whatever.

GATSU wrote:
It's a sequel. What did you expect?

Oshii sure as hell didn't pull that crap with Patlabor 2.

Quote:
And that differs from the manga, because...?

Because it's not like the manga uses absolutely tedious and dull pseudo-science jargon nu-uh you're completely right Gatsu.

Quote:
That's probably because the first movie was meant to expand the setting, while this one is supposed to provide insight into the characters.

Anything done successfully with Batou's character is utterly bogged down by the "philosopher of the conversation" pick.

By my mark, if a story has to rely on pastiche in order to be truly successful (Innocence, Ergo Proxy, some recent Alan Moore work, etc.) then it's pretentious. By removing the subtext that seems recquired for the story to have any merit, you strip it down and reveal that there really isn't much of anything left.
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:37 pm Reply with quote
There are some valid criticisms of Innocence put forth here, but as consumers we shouldn't overlook the fact that entertainment, anime no less, adheres singularly to the one objective of selling and making profit. To me even when there's something that is just shy of being great like Innocence it's still an accomplishment overall. I'll take weirdass Oshii over Burst Angels any day. Not to mention that this is seeing a Bluray release; even if you don't dig Innocence its good for everyone if it sells well and encourages further endeavors. What's that saying, try to see the garden for the roses?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5