• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Entertainment Adds Ghost in the Shell: Innocence

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:39 am Reply with quote
Hellkorn:
Quote:
Oshii sure as hell didn't pull that crap with Patlabor 2.

Yeah, he just went into a long-winded commentary which had nothing to do with the series or setting of the film. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
Because it's not like the manga uses absolutely tedious and dull pseudo-science jargon nu-uh you're completely right Gatsu.

Well, it looks like someone here hasn't read the footnotes...

Quote:
Anything done successfully with Batou's character is utterly bogged down by the "philosopher of the conversation" pick.

It's fairly simple why Oshii uses that approach. It's because Batou's an old-timer who clings to the past, rather than deal with the present.

Quote:
By my mark, if a story has to rely on pastiche in order to be truly successful (Innocence, Ergo Proxy, some recent Alan Moore work, etc.) then it's pretentious.

What Alan Moore work isn't pretentious? "Har-har, I'll make fun of the stupidity inherent in comics by writing my own comics which rely on the same cliches, but have people dying unexpectedly, because that never happens." But a pastiche isn't inherently awful in itself. It's simply a matter of how well it fits into the story. (See Millennium Actress.)

Quote:
By removing the subtext that seems recquired for the story to have any merit, you strip it down and reveal that there really isn't much of anything left.

A story doesn't need subtext. It needs direction. Subtext is for people who think everything has to be deep to be satisfying.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:46 am Reply with quote
dewlwieldthedarpachief:

Nobody is saying it shouldn't be released. I'm happy for those who like Innocence. If they like it then it's great that they're going to have the option to buy it especially on Bluray. What a lot of people are saying is just that they don't like it.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:40 pm Reply with quote
I'm just going to reply to one thing since Gatsu seems content with his usual one-liner nonsense crap that practically everyone but him agrees with.

GATSU wrote:
A story doesn't need subtext. It needs direction. Subtext is for people who think everything has to be deep to be satisfying.

Wow, talk about missing the point.

The subtext that comes with pastiche is that, unless you are familiar with whatever the reference is, you cannot fully appreciate what is being shown within the story, if anything at all. Millennium Actress and Watchmen and From Hell work because they actually bother with creating believable characters and crafting themes that can be universally understood. They don't need context borrowed from centuries old philosophers and obscure pop culture references to make them meaningful. And they don't throw the "show, don't tell" rule in graphic storytelling into the freaking dumpster and burn it.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:27 am Reply with quote
Hellkorn:
Quote:
Millennium Actress and Watchmen and From Hell work because they actually bother with creating believable characters and crafting themes that can be universally understood.

I'd imagine Alan Moore would ask for your head on a platter, if he heard you saying his work was "easily understood". So no, these characters are not universal. You have to have a common historical framework to understand what makes them tick. And even when that's not the case, they still are not your run-of-the-mill protagonists and antagonists you see in typical Hollywood fare.

Quote:
They don't need context borrowed from centuries old philosophers and obscure pop culture references to make them meaningful.

Yes, they just need context from movies and comics dating back a century. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
And they don't throw the "show, don't tell" rule in graphic storytelling into the freaking dumpster and burn it.

Yes, because we know exactly what's happened to Kusanagi since the last film, what she's up to next, and whether Batou really resolves his personal issues with her. Rolling Eyes
HellKorn

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:16 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I'd imagine Alan Moore would ask for your head on a platter, if he heard you saying his work was "easily understood". So no, these characters are not universal. You have to have a common historical framework to understand what makes them tick.

Setting is NOT the same as pastiche.

So if a person isn't familiar with post-war Japan, Cold War America and Victorian England, they'll be retarded in picking up points that the creators are trying to illustrate? Bull. If a person cannot pick up themes of corruption, conspiracy theory, paranoia, mob frenzy, gradual ethical decay, male sexual dominance, etc. then they shouldn't be reading/watching fiction, period.

Whatever; this has gone off-topic, and yet again arguing with you only brings us back to where we started. I'm done.
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:39 pm Reply with quote
i never knew it was realeased with subs in theaters.I'm glad i didn't went after all.At least there's a dub version now.Hopefully they use the same people from SAC which will be a good thing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
varmintx

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:05 pm Reply with quote
It's listed for Jan. 13 at Amazon for $30; no real tech specs yet.
AirCooledMan_2006

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Finally, about damn time R1 got an English dub for Innocence! What the hell was Dreamworks thinking to not put a dub on it? Were they TRYING to alienate potential fans?

A lesson to any R1 company that licenses anime: Do it right the first time or DON'T DO IT AT ALL.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5