• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Hell Girl DVD 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cloud1989

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:13 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't call this a horror show, its not scary in the least nor was it intended to be, I'm not sure exactly what it would be called but horror is not the right word.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:42 am Reply with quote
Man I can't seem to ever agree completely with Mr. Kimlinger's reviews, even when I do agree with him overall. While I think he's fairly spot on for most of the review, I completely disagree with him on episode 17. That's my favorite episode from the first season, the main reason being that it explores spoiler[some of the other supernatural elements to be found in Hell Girl's world and it shows that Ai can do more than just dish out revenge.]

I can't wait to get Volume 5 in hand.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:40 am Reply with quote
Quote:
...uses viewer perceptions about who is damning who...

Who is damning whom. Whom should be used as the object of damning. It's a shame schools don't bother to teach proper use of basic grammar anymore. I only even know that rule because I took latin, and case is more intrigal to the language.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:53 am Reply with quote
I was wondering why the name Shimono was translated as Simono? I've seen the si for shi, tu for tsu, zi for ji used rarely. There is even the name placard in front of the house which confirms that Shimono is a Japanese name complete with kanji. Likewise one of the dogs in the episode is named Yuki which had a strange spelling (Yukky?, Yukee?) which slips my mind at the moment. Anyone else find this odd?
Yilei

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Brina Palencia can't quite match the lilting menace of Mamiko Noto as Enma Ai, but that is due at least in part to the difficulty of capturing the mythical cadence of her catchphrases in English.

To be fair, even in the live action drama, the actress Iwata Sayuri ALSO had trouble capturing the creepiness of Enma Ai in that line as well. I think Noto Mamiko's just good at sounding creepy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1