• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Plans Hunter X Hunter Release in DVD Season Boxes

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
posterior_praiser

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Rose Kitsune wrote:
On another note outside of my fangirly squealing... I am upset that the Hikaru no Go DVDs are on hold. I mean, they are so close to the end of that series! I hope it doesn't get canceled.

Me too Sad I really was hoping to buy the whole sereis in a couple sets one day. Probably wont happen now. Hikaru no go is definitely one of the better Shonen series out there, it just doesnt hold alot of apeal to a north american audience I suppose?
Aradiel

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:24 pm Reply with quote
I think I just had an awesomegasm. HXH is one of my all time faves.
takiko1999

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:36 pm Reply with quote
I heard from the NY con said that," After evaluating the sales potential of Full Moon wo Sagashite, Hikaru no Go, and Prince of Tennis, Viz has decided to hold off releasing any further volumes of these three series".

I heard that they are holding off not hold on.
Zero_Reborn

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:39 pm Reply with quote
I hope Blue Dragon is uncut.
NimbusRain

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:22 pm Reply with quote
No more Hikaru no Go DVDs? Oh well, at least we can still read the manga in Shonen Jump....oh wait, no we can't. Mad
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:24 pm Reply with quote
takiko1999 wrote:
I heard from the NY con said that," After evaluating the sales potential of Full Moon wo Sagashite, Hikaru no Go, and Prince of Tennis, Viz has decided to hold off releasing any further volumes of these three series".

I heard that they are holding off not hold on.

"holding off", "on hold", its the same thing: indefinite hiatus.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:40 pm Reply with quote
LightYagami wrote:
I wonder what are the odds that it will be shown on Cartoon network sometime in the future.

Heh, I wish....

Well, you never know, really. As has already been mentioned I know Viz was trying to advertise it for TV airtime, so I guess we'll see. It's so hard to get it on there though because of it's outdated animation, and you kind of need that part of the story to do the OVAs (which except for the first one has more "up to date" animation).

Whatever the case though, definitely going to try and get those DVD releases, that's for sure. And all of you should to. Wink Hopefully they'll be successful, and also hopefully we'll get to see the OVAs in the near future as well, although that might depend on the success (or lack thereof) of the series.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:50 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to be a klutz here and ask: Did they ever edit the anime for Hunter x Hunter? (Though I would imagine that they didn't)
Jih2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:44 pm Reply with quote
I've been hearing stuff about HxH for a couple years now, I may very well buy the box sets but we'll see.
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:21 pm Reply with quote
here-and-faraway wrote:
I'm happy to hear that Hunter x Hunter is getting released, but I'm kinda bummed about Hikaru no Go and Full Moon not doing so well. Talk about shows where you need to see the entire series. . . Oh well, at least fans can (hopefully) read the endings in the manga releases.

Except that Fullmoon's manga and anime endings are drastically different. Rolling Eyes Fullmoon should've been released bi-monthly and in 13 episode sets; dragging the series out made people forget it was being released. The fact that the manga (which was a big success) has long since completed it's run doesn't help either. Viz needed to get the anime out while the manga was still fresh and interest was high.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Zero_Reborn wrote:
I hope Blue Dragon is uncut.

Strange, thought I remembered ADV hyping the heck out of this one last year ... guess those were either just competitors ads on their site (ahh, the joys of banner sharing services) or one of the titles that got shifted off in the website hubub.
scortia

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Not only do we get HxH on dvd, but in boxsets right off the bat!? Wow, my dreams have come true. It's about time, I had begun to lose hope.
animalia555

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:51 pm Reply with quote
While I am exited about the Hunter X Hunter anime, i am upset about MAR and Prince Of Tennis, as well as the lack of any information about the Shakugan No Shana novels.
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:33 pm Reply with quote
here-and-faraway wrote:
. .

I'm happy to hear that Hunter x Hunter is getting released, but I'm kinda bummed about Hikaru no Go and Full Moon not doing so well. Talk about shows where you need to see the entire series. . . Oh well, at least fans can (hopefully) read the endings in the manga releases.

I'm not susprised it didn't do well.It's because of people uploading fansubs and even if it got realeased in the US,the epsiodes gets ripped and uploaded in sites like veoh.It was the same thing that happened to prince of tennis and mar. Thank god shippuden got licensed before season three began and the're removing fansubs of bleach otherwise it would've been a mess when shippuden come to the us and bleach reach the huceo mundo arcs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:01 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:

I'm not susprised it didn't do well.It's because of people uploading fansubs and even if it got realeased in the US,the epsiodes gets ripped and uploaded in sites like veoh.It was the same thing that happened to prince of tennis and mar. Thank god shippuden got licensed before season three began and the're removing fansubs of bleach otherwise it would've been a mess when shippuden come to the us and bleach reach the huceo mundo arcs.

Bleach and Naruto fansubs are still really easy to get. Viz didn't do more to get fansubs of those down than they did for anything else. While fansubs are certainly a problem, there is more to the failures of series like Full Moon than just the fact that there were fansubs. There were and are fansubs of Naruto and Bleach, but they are still doing well enough for Viz because they have more selling potential to begin with. The CN/AS runs certainly don't hurt. But you're incredibly naive if you think there aren't plenty of places to get fansubs of the most recent Naruto and Bleach episodes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3