• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Digital Manga Picks Up Tezuka's Swallowing the Earth

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:55 am Reply with quote
Smart move digital manga, that ought to do well with the older fans of Mr. Tezuka. Thanks for the news update.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:24 am Reply with quote
I'm just wondering how they decide which of those to license. Is it the theme, or the art, or both? I'm also surprised more of his stuff is getting released, since Viz and DH pretty much gave up on new manga. It's probably that the age of the series makes it a cheaper acquisition than the competition. Anyway, I'm just glad we still have companies like DMP and Vertical in such a homogenous market.
narutoismybrother

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:11 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I'm just wondering how they decide which of those to license. Is it the theme, or the art, or both? I'm also surprised more of his stuff is getting released, since Viz and DH pretty much gave up on new manga. It's probably that the age of the series makes it a cheaper acquisition than the competition. Anyway, I'm just glad we still have companies like DMP and Vertical in such a homogenous market.

Hmm... I don't know. I would think that something done by Osamu Tezuka would be a bit more costly to license. I mean age might have something to do with it, but look at the Macross anime. Macross was made over 20 years ago and we're never going to see a license for that in America.
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:46 am Reply with quote
Anybody know what the volume count is for this? Or when DMP plan to get the initial release out?
LordRobin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:37 am Reply with quote
Hmm. A woman who all men instantly fall in love with? And there's multiple copies of her? Sounds like the inspiration for Tomie. Very Happy (I kid.)

------RM
lord-darkseid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:26 am Reply with quote
There are twelve models. She's only the sixth. Twisted Evil
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:13 am Reply with quote
Sounds interesting. I'll be looking forward to reading that one. Gotta leave it to 'Tezuka' he can do it all.

Who owns 'Digital Manga'? Surprising that it wasn't 'Vertical'.

I wonder if we'll ever get the chance of seeing 'Jungle Emperor Leo' at some point.
Teuvan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:26 am Reply with quote
GOD YES!

...That's pretty literal, now that I think about it. Either way, more translated Tezuka is always an excellent thing.
Apreche

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:59 am Reply with quote
I'm always glad when more of Tezuka's work is published in English, and I'll definitely buy it. However, I was under the impression that Vertical was sort of exclusively doing all the Tezuka stuff that wasn't already done by Dark Horse or Viz. I guess not. I was in Book Off yesterday, and there is plenty of manga by Tezuka that has yet to be translated. Step on it!
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Great news, one for the feminists, but it will all end in tears, because women might find a way of impregnating themselves without the help of a man, but they will always need a man to fix it when it fails, so when they kill off all the men, and everything that works doesn't anymore, all the women will eventually become extinct as well. You women really can't live without us. Laughing
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Great news, one for the feminists, but it will all end in tears, because women might find a way of impregnating themselves without the help of a man

That'd be the end of the Shonen demographic for a start.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Highway Star

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:50 pm Reply with quote
What brilliant news to make up for a considerably crap day! The more Tezuka, the better. Till then, there's Black Jack and Dororo to keep me satisfied. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Fantastic news! I've got all the Tezuka books released by Vertical so far and have already pre-ordered Dororo. I'll jump on the band wagon for this one too. So far all the works I've read really do live up to the hype.
CorrosiveMeso

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Moomintroll: According to a DMP rep on the Tezuka in English forums, it'll be one hardcover volume, around 500 pages, and will be released in early 2009.
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:43 am Reply with quote
CorrosiveMeso wrote:
Moomintroll: According to a DMP rep on the Tezuka in English forums, it'll be one hardcover volume, around 500 pages, and will be released in early 2009.

Thanks for the info - glad to hear I'll have plenty of time to save up for it... Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1