• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: American Anime Fan Disappears in Japan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:49 am Reply with quote
Brass2TheMax wrote:
How could anyone be so obsessed with Anime that they would fail school with their only goal in life being to live for Anime? Makes me sick.

[Off Topic]

Makes you sick huh?Check this out.26 years of it.24/7.All hours of the day.Just finished Sword of the Stranger while waiting on another update of 45 more 2008 titles.Makes me sick as well.

http://www.myspace.com/samunehienburg

I hope Skye will be found,I'd like a follow up on this story.
baisengan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:15 am Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
Brass2TheMax wrote:
How could anyone be so obsessed with Anime that they would fail school with their only goal in life being to live for Anime? Makes me sick.

[Off Topic]

Makes you sick huh?Check this out.26 years of it.24/7.All hours of the day.Just finished Sword of the Stranger while waiting on another update of 45 more 2008 titles.Makes me sick as well.

this is the first time i hear about a person that has been watching anime since birth...truly, a remarkable feat ^^...
daedelus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:37 am Reply with quote
Well, being the "glass is half-full" kind of guy I like to think I am, I can't help but envision her alive and well and working on a remote farm somewhere in rural Japan in exchange for room and board. I nice, simple life. Hard work can be good for the soul. It seems like her soul needs healing.

Another thought that keeps occurring to me is the unsent suicide note. Here she is making all of these plans, following them, and then doesn't send the note. That, right there, could be the broken link in the chain of events leading to her suicide. She may have taken a good look at the beautiful countryside and had a change of heart. I dunno.

This is sheer optimistic speculation on my part. I can't help but feel this way. Some may think I'm a fool or am ignorant for thinking this. Well, ignorance can be bliss sometimes.

Here's hoping she's alive and well.
BorgmanJayce

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:39 am Reply with quote
I've been following this thread with interest from the beginning and I felt I just had to give my opinion especially in a couple of areas:

1) I can't believe how a few of you; in particular; JMP and especially Psycho 101 in particular [who I reserve my utter disdain for] are acting like jerks because she isn't pretty enough and because she's white! It's idiotic asswipe douchebags like them that make me ashamed of being a Otaku at times!

2) As for "depression being a disease"; that is one of the biggest pieces of bullcrap I have ever heard in a long time!

I know what true depression is as I went through it a couple of years ago after the death of my grandmother, but fortunately thanks to my friends [both online and offline], I recovered from my condition and became a stronger and better person.

I admit there are days when I still miss her especially as she was the person who brought me up from when I was a baby but I can't believe there are people out there who believe that depression is a disease and not a illness... Sad
rti9

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:11 am Reply with quote
BleuVII wrote:
One of the noblest posts I've ever read.

Charles Dickens wrote:
It was the best of times, it was the worst of times...

Wow. TestamentSaki said that news like this get the worst out of us, but it seems it also brings the best of us. Bleu VII, you inspire me. Skye, if you are reading this, you are also welcome at the Shimane prefecture and you can contact me at rti9 at hotmail.com. We all make big mistakes, but few things in life are more rewarding than to be given a second chance.

jel123 wrote:
It's really sad that the editorial staff needs to justify why the story is here when that should be obvious to everyone.
I do appreciate ANN reporting stories like this even if Skyes only connection to most readers is that she is an anime fan.

Agreed. It is also really depressing that Batman3777 is forced to point out basic etiquette for those who haven't got any tact at all. All enforcing the negative aspects of this thread remind me of those protesters harassing funerals of homosexual soldiers. As britannicamoore wrote, this is neither the time nor the place.
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:08 am Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
With depression you make the choice to deal with it or not.

There are degrees of depression and there are degrees in the effectiveness of any given individual's mechanisms for coping with depression. A hearty cry of "I'll do my best!" may work in shonen anime but in messy, complicated, real life it's pretty asinine to expect a person whose degree of depression evidently far surpassed her ability to cope to have taken the same approach.

Quote:
I don't wish ill will on this girl but I again refuse to simply feel pity for someone who is willing to pointlessly throw their life away and help ruin ths lives of many around them with their actions.

I don't think anybody is insisting that you have to feel pity (though a degree of empathy and / or sympathy wouldn't be amiss) but many of us are perplexed as to why you would feel the need to launch an attack on the poor girl rather than simply ignoring the thread. You have a right to believe whatever you want to believe but you're showing a jaw-dropping lack of taste and discretion.

Quote:
even if I am wrong in the end I still support my words and actions.

I'm not sure I can comprehend how that's something to be proud of.

Quote:
There are tons of other very good reasons to sustain ourselves.

Yes, there are - and the chief problem with clinical depression is that it saps the sufferer's ability to recognise any of them.

[Edited typo]

Last edited by Moomintroll on Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:54 am; edited 1 time in total
cortanaMT

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:30 am Reply with quote
How exactly would have this girl have gotten INTO Japan. You can't enter on a tourist visa without a round-trip ticket.

Smells suspicious to me.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:33 am Reply with quote
cortanaMT wrote:
How exactly would have this girl have gotten INTO Japan. You can't enter on a tourist visa without a round-trip ticket.

Smells suspicious to me.

Hey, that's a good point. Although it's POSSIBLE to get in with a one-way ticket if you have some documentation, such as a written guarantee issued by a transport company that you will have passage out of the country.

She might have brought some fake documents with her to convince the immigration people to let her in on a 90 day tourist visa, even though she only had a 1-way ticket.

Also, to be perfectly honest, a young white woman from america could probably convince the immigration people to let her in with a one-way ticket... not that I've tried. Or am a young white woman.
daxomni

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:37 am Reply with quote
cortanaMT wrote:
You can't enter on a tourist visa without a round-trip ticket.

She doesn't need a visa to visit for up to 90 days because she falls under the visa waiver agreement. She also does not need a round-trip ticket to qualify for the visa waiver. In some cases not having a round-trip ticket may result in some additional questioning but for the most part it's not an issue that will immediately prevent entry unless you look unkempt, give unusual answers, or otherwise raise the suspicion of the immigration staff.

samuelp wrote:
She might have brought some fake documents with her to convince the immigration people to let her in on a 90 day tourist visa, even though she only had a 1-way ticket.

What will they think of next?
Batman3777

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:05 am Reply with quote
BorgmanJayce wrote:
I've been following this thread with interest from the beginning and I felt I just had to give my opinion especially in a couple of areas:

1) I can't believe how a few of you; in particular; JMP and especially Psycho 101 in particular [who I reserve my utter disdain for] are acting like jerks because she isn't pretty enough and because she's white! It's idiotic asswipe douchebags like them that make me ashamed of being a Otaku at times!

2) As for "depression being a disease"; that is one of the biggest pieces of bullcrap I have ever heard in a long time!

I know what true depression is as I went through it a couple of years ago after the death of my grandmother, but fortunately thanks to my friends [both online and offline], I recovered from my condition and became a stronger and better person.

I admit there are days when I still miss her especially as she was the person who brought me up from when I was a baby but I can't believe there are people out there who believe that depression is a disease and not a illness... Sad

Define: Disease: "an impairment of health or a condition of abnormal functioning" (wordnet.princeton.edu)

Define: Illness: "impairment of normal physiological function affecting part or all of an organism" (wordnet.princeton.edu)

They're synonymous and it's "an illness," not "a illness."

BY DEFINITION, clinical depression is a disease or an illness, or a sickness, or any of those synonymous words.
BorgmanJayce

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:30 am Reply with quote
Batman3777 wrote:
BorgmanJayce wrote:

Define: Disease: "an impairment of health or a condition of abnormal functioning" (wordnet.princeton.edu)

Define: Illness: "impairment of normal physiological function affecting part or all of an organism" (wordnet.princeton.edu)

BY DEFINITION, clinical depression is a disease or an illness, or a sickness, or any of those synonymous words.

And your point being, especially the difference between "an illness" and "a illness" which I can't believe somebody would be so frakkin anal over; Batman3777?

At the end of the day, I still believe Skye is worthy of my sympathy as a member of the greater Otaku community and we should show her family some sympathy otherwise Otakudom will slowly over time gain a worse reputation in the West than it already is.

I love being a anime and manga Otaku but I don't like it when certain idiotic heartless jerks on this board make idiotic heartless remarks about a fellow Otaku just because they can.

What would happen if it was YOU who was in a bad situation and nobody gave a damn? You'd feel really hurt and upset.

Just remember that at the end of the day, we CAN make a difference in a small way by showing we care, but we don't have to show that we care more about our anime and manga than a fellow fan who's gone missing or in this case; as Psycho 101 put it; he didn't care that she went missing because she was white.

Is it any wonder that the world is in the state it's in at the moment because of certain people in it.

I know my words won't probably change the more stubborn headed or the more arrogant amongst you, but I hope it makes some of you think about how we can change the reputation of Otakudom in society from a negative one amongst certain people into a positive one.
Batman3777

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:59 am Reply with quote
BorgmanJayce wrote:
Batman3777 wrote:
BorgmanJayce wrote:

And your point being, especially the difference between "an illness" and "a illness" which I can't believe somebody would be so frakkin anal over; Batman3777?

At the end of the day, I still believe Skye is worthy of my sympathy as a member of the greater Otaku community and we should show her family some sympathy otherwise Otakudom will slowly over time gain a worse reputation in the West than it already is.

I love being a anime and manga Otaku but I don't like it when certain idiotic heartless jerks on this board make idiotic heartless remarks about a fellow Otaku just because they can.

What would happen if it was YOU who was in a bad situation and nobody gave a damn? You'd feel really hurt and upset.

Just remember that at the end of the day, we CAN make a difference in a small way by showing we care, but we don't have to show that we care more about our anime and manga than a fellow fan who's gone missing or in this case; as Psycho 101 put it; he didn't care that she went missing because she was white.

Is it any wonder that the world is in the state it's in at the moment because of certain people in it.

I know my words won't probably change the more stubborn headed or the more arrogant amongst you, but I hope it makes some of you think about how we can change the reputation of Otakudom in society from a negative one amongst certain people into a positive one.

I get anal about language because people insist on butchering it endlessly out of laziness. It was really meant to be tongue-in-cheek humor. Sorry I should have put in an emoticon, but I do get tired of them after a while.

You said depression is an illness and not a disease. I replied stating those two terms mean the same thing. You said depression is not a disease. My point: "BY DEFINITION, clinical depression is a disease or an illness, or a sickness, or any of those synonymous words." And by your own post, depression is a disease. So, at the very least, you seemed to contradict yourself.

Sorry, I could not say it any simpler. Maybe you mistyped your first post?

Regardless, we both agree Skye deserves sympathy, and respect, far more than what most people on here are offering. We ALL can make a difference, and the first step in doing so would be for people to stop acting like not-so-nice-people (not you, people like the aforementioned psycho and such). So, yeah. No need for the two of us to start fighting now, right? Rolling Eyes
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:00 pm Reply with quote
A freind of mine had a serious caes of REAL depresion about two years back. He didn't have many friends, he was not very sucessful, and had very low selfesteem.He spent most of his days watching anime. He was just dumped by hid girlfirend, who he loved very much. He was considering suicide. We didin't know eachother very well, but he called me to tell me that wouldn't be coming back to collage. We talked, and eventualy he told me he was thinking about killing himself. Long story short, I talked him into getting counceling, and now he's doing much better. He's even back together with Clarie.

I REFUSE to feel anything, except contempt, for someone who would just give up, without even trying to get help.

Also, I find it pointless to worry about someone you don't even, or ever will, know. It is a waste of time. My friend calls me for help, sure, man, whatever he needs. A little girl was lost in the forrest next to my city? Sign me up for the seach party. Some looser from half across the world decides life is not worth living and runs away to kill himself? Happy-day.......natural selection at it's best

PS: I could not care less about the reputation of otakus around the world. Why? Because I don't waste my time thinking about how people I don't even know see me. Only insecure loosers are desperate about the acceptance of people that have nothing to do with them

PSII: It's "Jesus Christ" not "geezus christ"
mitsuno

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:16 pm Reply with quote
What is really sad here, is that of you are missing a big point. A girl is missing!!! The reason for the post is her parents are trying to find her. They are trying to let a community know this. Instead of trying to help the family and the girl, you people are making some issues out of nothing. Keep focused on what the intention was about. If anyone knows anything, let her parents know.

M
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:28 pm Reply with quote
I'm gonna lock this one up for now for pretty obvious reasons.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10