• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: American Anime Fan Disappears in Japan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jozoiscute

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:49 pm Reply with quote
To all the people saying that this particular article is irrelevant to ANN news......
....no it's not about anime.
Probably the only reason why it's here is because the family thought that if they posted this, other people from this "Anime Club" could help get their daughter back, safe and sound.
I mean....GOOD GRIEF PEOPLE!!!
They're worried about their child!
Don't get so huffy over one small article on front of ANN.....
....have a heart. I would be worried if I were her parents too.....

Anime cry Anime cry Anime cry Anime cry Anime cry

Last edited by Jozoiscute on Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:23 pm; edited 2 times in total
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Suicides are a bit of a sad trend in Japan. Heck, there are suicide get-togethers and groups.

My health class called them cluster suicides. Let's hope this girl is alive and safe. Heck, my life long dream is to go to Japan. Not to commit suicide in another country. It's so sad though. But she is an adult after all. Sorry about that.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:54 pm Reply with quote
young98 wrote:
MJP wrote:
Let's see... Megan Budnick, extreme wapanese-ism.

KEIKAKU DOORI

In all seriousness, this is just another attractive white girl that's gone missing.

attractive? have you seen the picture?
anyways, i don't have sympathy for people that want to take the easy way out like suicide or running away. it's dumb, i can't think of a logical reason to do that, and i doubt she's crazy seeing as she grew up to that age seemingly normal to the people around her, and even getting into college. i don't know the reason for her un-sent suicide email, or her running away, but i don't care if she's ever found for her sake, but for the family's sake, i guess it'd better to know what happened

Although I do have sympathy for the family and her, I do somewhat agree with you. She could of EASILY told one her parents and then this whole mess would have been prevented. [Note the place for this, -b]

Most likely she ran away to get away from the problems, but either she didn't think ahead in advance or she really wanted to find something in Japan. I do hope she is safe and eventually found, but only for her family's sake.
beelzebozo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
MJP Jerk wrote:
Stuff Jerk 1+Jerk 2 said

That's highly insensitive. I know fandom's always little self-centered, but that's really harsh and mean- a person's life is at risk, or in a worst case scenario, is already dead..... ANN's posting this to try to help out her poor family.

THIS

I mean, let's add this up as far as it being appropriate to ANN

- Anime Fan
- Member of local anime club
- Went to Japan
- Disappeared, possible suicide
- People are looking for leads

Seems appropriate to me.
MJP

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:02 pm Reply with quote
For the sake of argument, if she kept it a secret from her family for this long, stole money, got a visa (Is one required to visit Japan?), fled the country, and traveled within Japan (so she managed to secure a JR card and navigate on her own) she's doing this for a very serious purpose. She probably planned this for a good long time. Maybe someone got wind of it, or maybe nobody noticed (more likely). But if she was seriously suicidal and wants to die in Japan, and if nobody cared enough to say "Look, go see a psychiatrist" then there's no chance of stopping her.

Hell, maybe she just wanted a vacation and mommy and daddy wouldn't give her the money even though she was failing school.
Eos

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:03 pm Reply with quote
MJP wrote:
If this person was a non-anime fan and you heard about this just by glancing across another town's newspaper on page two, would you still care?

There's no way you can answer yes, because you wouldn't.

I'm sorry you're too myopic to understand that people die every day. ....But anyone who's saying that this is a huge tragedy, that they're praying for the family, etc. should read about every person that commits suicide in a day.

I've never understood the argument that "other worse things happen, so you shouldn't feel bad over this situation." Feeling sympathy isn't being naive, and adopting a cold attitude toward the world doesn't make you more enlightened than the rest of us. I hope one day you grow out of this stage in life.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:05 pm Reply with quote
I have similar beliefs to those who said people commit suicide everyday and why does it matter. I also agree that ANN putting this news up would help find her wherabouts through the worldwide network of anime fans here. My words on this? She was a depressed girl who wanted to escape it all.

Weather she killed herself or not is debatable. The thing is she wanted to see Japan at least once before death. It was wrong of her to just run away from her life because running away isn't the answer to anything EVER! On the other hand if her dying wish was to see the land she always wanted to go to I see nothing wrong with that. Everyone has a dying wish and Japan was hers. I hope she isn't dead at all. I hope the trip helped her think. I hope she's just bumming around in Japan right now. If she did die already at least she did something ballsy on the way out. At least she got to fulfill her dream and be happy before she died. I hope she died happily after she granted her wish.

Good luck in Japan girlie. Dead or alive.
MJP

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Eos wrote:
I've never understood the argument that "other worse things happen, so you shouldn't feel bad over this situation." Feeling sympathy isn't being naive, and adopting a cold attitude toward the world doesn't make you more enlightened than the rest of us. I hope one day you grow out of this stage in life.

So doing nothing and hoping things do well is just fine and dandy?

Or are you in Japan right now combing through Noboribetsu, putting up flyers, and comforting the family?

People die every day. People commit suicide every day. People who need help don't get it. This isn't coldness, this is reality. You can't save the world just by wishy-washy good thoughts.

Save your energy for things that you care about or how you want to change the world. Save the rest of it for the fact that we live in a shitty world unless people do something about it.
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:13 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
So she chose to commit suicide in Japan? That's sad.

I hope that the family will find her body soon so that they can have closure.

Isn't the fact that the suicide note was unsent proof that she didn't intend to die? If she had a suicide note, and planned to suicide, why didn't she send it? She could be still alive. When touring a foreign country, it would be easy to get caught up in some remote area where you wouldn't be easily found.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
xstylus

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:16 pm Reply with quote
young98 wrote:
MJP wrote:
Let's see... Megan Budnick, extreme wapanese-ism.

KEIKAKU DOORI

In all seriousness, this is just another attractive white girl that's gone missing.

Wow. The sensitivity on these forums is just overwhelming.

Doesn't matter what her likes or dislikes are, whether she's attractive or not, whether she's white or not, or whatever.

She is someone who needs HELP, and it is also completely valid for this news story to have been posted here since there's a valid chance that one of the many people living in Japan who also frequent ANN might have seen her or be able to keep an eye out for her. She may seek out anime places of interest, and who would better know those places than those of us here?

So all ya'll STFU unless you have something decent to say about the matter.

Last edited by xstylus on Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Houlgrave

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Well damn, that's pretty sad, both for her and her family. Then again, maybe she chickened out and is still alive somewhere....

[Snip - Don't be rude. -b]
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Young98 wrote:

Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
On a much less seriousness note, I do agree with you on her looks.

[Edit - This is really rude -b]

As for the girl, I hope she is found alive. Depression is a phase that I think everyone tends to go through sometime in their lives. Years ago, I was like her. I wanted to go to Japan, partake more in anime than in my studies, and hang around with my friends. When my grades began dropping due to putting anime as a higher priority over my education, I realized how stupid the whole thing was and finally worked to turn the tables. Today, I watch anime every now and then and focus my life mostly on real matters like employment and having a successful future. I'm much more prouder now than I was back then.

The point is that people need to look at anime as a hobby and if they have problems in school or with society, they need to set their own priorities right or if they don't have the will power to do it, then get help. Like others have said, running away or ignoring the problem won't solve it.
xstylus

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:35 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
Young98 wrote:

Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
On a much less seriousness note, I do agree with you on her looks.

Maybe you guys ought to also consider the possibility that her unattractiveness may be another factor into possible suicide. I've heard stories of people that killed themselves because they weren't "good looking" enough for the opposite sex. This isn't something to joke around with.

I tell ya one thing, if I were her and if I just happened to fire up my laptop and read your post, it sure wouldn't help my self esteem much. The fact that you're not joking would make the comment sting even worse.

I can't believe how some of you guys are giving commentary on her attractiveness over a situation like this. Some of you are describing her like she's hideous, and her picture isn't at all that bad.

I sure hope her family doesn't read these posts. Cripes, people, have a heart.
kitsunelady

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Good God. I hardly ever take the time to read the 'forums' attached to the news on ANN, but today I did, and I am amazed at the horrible crap that has come out of peoples mouths (or in this case, gone from their brains, to their fingers, to their keyboards - a longer journey, so you should have had more time to think about how hateful what you were getting ready to type was)! Do you people not understand the Golden Rule at all?

Also, what in God's name do her looks have to do with this? It's not our business to be speculating on WHY she ran away, or WHY she wanted to commit suicide! And it's obvious the article was posted as many places as possible in the hopes that someone might have seen her! Why would any of you complain about that?! Jesus, people. Do any of you have children? Or, hell, a beating heart?!

I agree, I hope her parents/family/friends NEVER visit this site and read what you've said. Jerks.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Psycho101 wrote:
Callous, cold things

Sorry reality got in the way of your mecha and moe fantasies. Anime is a smaller community than it feels like sometimes, and deaths and disappearances are news, especially under unusual circumstances, and even moreso when peril may be involved.

I can't help but wonder if the mainstream entertainment media get this sort of nastiness every time they write about people some readers don't care about, or are we just blessed with a certain class of soulless people among us.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10