• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Haruka Director Aki Tsunaki Interviewed

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:07 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I’ve always wanted to taste real McDonalds.

Laughing There's nothin' "real" about it, dude! Laughing But anyway, I'm just surprised and amused he'd travel here just for McD's. But then, if I were in Japan, I'd probably try the "real" Yoshinoya, so...

Quote:
I went yesterday and it was actually less greasy than I had expected.

That's probably because it's in Seattle, where they actually care what they put in their bodies. Wink
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:15 am Reply with quote
Actually, the funny thing is most Japanese are of the opinion that true American Macdonald's are way worse than the Japanese ones.

And... they're right Wink. Japanese macdonald's food is way better than american; their fries are also hot and properly salted, the burgers are put together properly and in the right proportions. Everything is made to order, and even the chicken nuggets have real meat in them (I think)!

I'm not sure I can go back to "normal" macdonalds anymore... Anime cry
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:58 am Reply with quote
MAN! I wish I lived in Seattle! I could've gone to Sakura-Con!
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:30 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
Japanese macdonald's food is way better than american; their fries are also hot and properly salted, the burgers are put together properly and in the right proportions. Everything is made to order, and even the chicken nuggets have real meat in them (I think)!

I didn't try McDonalds while I was in Tokyo, but I did try the highly regarded Mosburger and a homemade burger at a festival booth. I appreciate what the Japanese try to do with burgers, but that doesn't change the fact that their patties have the consistency of particle board.

Then again, I don't eat at American McDonalds either.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:13 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
samuelp wrote:
Japanese macdonald's food is way better than american; their fries are also hot and properly salted, the burgers are put together properly and in the right proportions. Everything is made to order, and even the chicken nuggets have real meat in them (I think)!

I didn't try McDonalds while I was in Tokyo, but I did try the highly regarded Mosburger and a homemade burger at a festival booth. I appreciate what the Japanese try to do with burgers, but that doesn't change the fact that their patties have the consistency of particle board.

Then again, I don't eat at American McDonalds either.

Oh yeah, the meat in Japanese burgers is probably 80% sawdust and/or tofu.

However, there ARE places in Tokyo to get a serious burger. You just have to pay a decent amount and know where to look. The easy solution is to just go to a western restaurant like TGI Fridays or even Sizzler. They sell good hamburgers same as in the states for maybe $8-$9. Mosburger is crappy, in my opinion. Actually Macdonald's is a bit better. Freshburger is pretty good, though; their buns are very fresh and they actually had a good tomato slice. Also, there was a place in the Kyoto JR station which sold authentic Texas burgers (it was a branch from a local store in dallas, I think), which was quite the find Wink.

Uh... yeah, I kind of have been searching for a good burger since I've been living in Japan. Heh Wink.

Finding a good burger is not so hard. On the other hand, finding a decent TACO in tokyo is damn near impossible. I have yet to find something I would even refer to as a taco here. I'm sure it must exist somewhere (maybe I need to scour Roppongi), but so far all mexican food I've found in Tokyo has been severely lacking. The best taco I had I actually had at a Taco Bell on the Yokosuka Naval base (ya know, where that rape happened a while ago). But that doesn't count!
Tyrenol

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:11 pm Reply with quote
As much as I like to join in and talk about food; let's not forget that this show is not done with English Dialogue. And Espeically for a show that's riding on the coattails of Fushigi Yuugi.

Let's not lose focus, people. Those circus clowns over at BVUSA still believe that they're superior since they don't need to change for the foreign audience. Not only are these people wrong, they've basically bent over so companies like Funimation, Viz, and Tokyopop can kick their collective rear end.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:52 am Reply with quote
Tyrenol wrote:
As much as I like to join in and talk about food; let's not forget that this show is not done with English Dialogue. And Espeically for a show that's riding on the coattails of Fushigi Yuugi.

Let's not lose focus, people. Those circus clowns over at BVUSA still believe that they're superior since they don't need to change for the foreign audience. Not only are these people wrong, they've basically bent over so companies like Funimation, Viz, and Tokyopop can kick their collective rear end.

You will be proven wrong in due time. The era of ubiquitous dubbing is over. I've never bought a BV USA disc, but I just know they aren't going to go away any time soon.
Tyrenol

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:11 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
You will be proven wrong in due time. The era of ubiquitous dubbing is over. I've never bought a BV USA disc, but I just know they aren't going to go away any time soon.

You should contact me when there's no more anime being broadcasted on American syndicated TV, cable, and satellite.

No, seriously.

The most popular anime created by and for the Japanese audience are also the most depressing crap to waste time on. It seemed that nobody payed any attention when the guy from Funimation said "adventure/action spoke louder than anything else."

Two companies had opened the can of worms, JapanAnime and BVUSA, and stated that they're not gonna waste a dime on hiring English speakers for the characters in the anime they licensed. And now you guys are talking about food.

Hey. Whatever. I'll see you all in ten years. Arrow
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1