• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Garbage - Suikoden Demon Century

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shale

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:37 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
samuelp wrote:
Harmagedon (the movie).

Muahahaha. Maybe I'll do this one sometime. I've been wanting to do one on Rintaro called "A Broken Clock Is Right Twice A Day". (Twice a day being GE999 and his segment of Neo Tokyo)

That would be awesome. Go for it! As much as I'd like to see an exception for Metropolis, my hatred of Rintaro for being an incredible hack takes precedence.
irishninja

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:21 am Reply with quote
blind_assassin wrote:
On a semi-related note, apparently Blizzard essentially told him to screw off (in surprisingly similar terms) when he asked to direct a movie about World of Warcraft.

Yay! All is right in the world. Wink
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:11 pm Reply with quote
irishninja wrote:
blind_assassin wrote:
On a semi-related note, apparently Blizzard essentially told him to screw off (in surprisingly similar terms) when he asked to direct a movie about World of Warcraft.

Yay! All is right in the world. Wink

Wow, how professional. Though after Suikoden, I really can't blame the company. Come on, the main character looks Gene Starwind, has a cross shaped scar like Kenshin and his hair reminds me of Vegeta from Dragon Ball Z. Some concepts should never be mixed together, like tuna and salsa.
TornadoTatsumaki

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Sutibaru wrote:
CCSYueh wrote:
I enjoyed this show.
Of course I usually watch stuff like this & Fist of the North Star with my daughter & we heckle the screen, so that probably made it much more enjoyable.

Hey, FOTNS is a great series. Not like most of the garbage seen here.
If it was, then why would there be movies coming out 20 years later? >.>
Ditto. FONTS 1984 and 2005 are both great series'.
I honest never got to play the Master System version of the game but I remember a really terrible NES port was released by Sammy. As for ADC, never heard of it. Then again I've never seen any of ADV's obsure early efforts like "Galaxy Fraulein Yuna", "Gai" or "Devil Hunter Yokho". It sounds lame maybe lamer then "Voltage Fighter Gowcaizer" and "Tekken" after all most video game anime adaptations are pretty dull mostly only Sega's seem to hit the right notes. Sakura "Taisen" Wars is pretty good, but the O.A.V. series is better, Panzer Dragoon I heard was a so-so effort and "Gungrave" was at least tolerable.

BTW, have anyone seen Capcom's "Powerstone" and "Darkstalkers" or what about the "Soul Calibur" anime is it any good?
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:05 pm Reply with quote
I actually own this on VHS. I picked it up used for $1.99 knowing how bad it was simply because some of the lines from it amuse the hell out of me. the priest dude going out on the tank yelling "onward Christian soldiers!" cracks me up every time. but then, I love stuff that has amusingly bad parts... the fact that I'll readily admit that Duel Masters is one of my guilty pleasures speaks volumes about how weird my sense of humor can go.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:08 am Reply with quote
TornadoTatsumaki wrote:
Panzer Dragoon I heard was a so-so effort and "Gungrave" was at least tolerable. BTW, have anyone seen Capcom's "Powerstone" and "Darkstalkers" or what about the "Soul Calibur" anime is it any good?

Dude, what happened to your grammar?

Whoever told you Panzer Dragoon was "so-so" is being awfully nice. I'm planning a future Buried Garbage on it. Haven't seen Powerstone, but Dark Stalkers was shrill and horrible, even with a decent budget.

I don't think there is a Soul Caliber anime. There's nothing in the encyclopedia, and something that high-profile and recent would be in there for sure (and probably be licensed).
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:12 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Dark Stalkers was shrill and horrible, even with a decent budget.

I liked it's animation, but the story suredly did not work out well. Although I give the OVA credit to being a lot better than Darkstalkers USA. That I would like to erase from my memory.

Quote:
I don't think there is a Soul Caliber anime. There's nothing in the encyclopedia, and something that high-profile and recent would be in there for sure (and probably be licensed).

There never has been. There was talk of a movie in the works, however it has since been dropped and nobody has heard high or low of it. Which would you rather take though, a USA version of SC, or a Japanese anime?
TsubasaKurenai

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:22 am Reply with quote
now panzer dragoon was terrible, and that even had scenes similar to those in the first game.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:52 am Reply with quote
TornadoTatsumaki wrote:
Then again I've never seen any of ADV's obsure early efforts like "Galaxy Fraulein Yuna", "Gai" or "Devil Hunter Yokho".

Devil Hunter Yohko is obscure? ADV's kept it in print on DVD, unlike a lot of their early releases.
Zablac

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:29 am Reply with quote
Oh. Sad

When I first saw "Suikoden" I thought it was going to be about the first 2 games (which happen to be among my favorite rpgs ever), but nope, what a crushing disappointment lolol.
Pale Horse

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:15 am Reply with quote
(I mean, how many shows can have a shirtless, beefy Catholic priest shooting heavy artillery with a nun driving the jeep and not make a joke out it?)

That was the best part. I can never forget the priest screaming "Testify!" Or in the dub having the nun be called "Sister Psycho!" (It was probably Saiko, but really, which is funnier?)

I ran around shouting Testify! for months. Ah, the memories.
SalarymanJoe

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:49 pm Reply with quote
A few posters have already corrected my poor reading; here's where I got confused:

Justin Sevakis wrote:
Suikoden Demon Century has little to do with the moderately popular Playstation 1 RPG "Suikoden" (aside from being inspired by the same Chinese legend). Actually, it was based on a series of fourteen light novels by Hitoshi Yoshioka. I've not read these novels (nor do I plan to).

I read the bolded as the anime having little in common with the game like a filler arc that goes off completely on its own tangent. Not really knowing the origin of the Gensou Maden Suikoden video games, I coupled the second sentence in with the video games being tied into the light novels Justin mentioned later.

Just saying I'm man enough to admit I'm wrong.

jsavakis wrote:
Maybe I'll do this one sometime. I've been wanting to do one on Rintaro called "A Broken Clock Is Right Twice A Day". (Twice a day being GE999 and his segment of Neo Tokyo)

Not familiar with his work in Neo Tokyo (another old licensed anime I never got around to watching), but I'm familiar with his work on GE999 and Captain Harlock (both I think are fantastic). I look forward to the article; I rarely disagree with your views. Plus, anyone else willing to bash Metropolis (Ohtomo & Rintaro, 2001) is always welcome.

What is your opinion of Harlock ('78 TV, Arcadia and SSX, particularly since I believe those were the ones he directed)?
TornadoTatsumaki

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:50 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
TornadoTatsumaki wrote:
Panzer Dragoon I heard was a so-so effort and "Gungrave" was at least tolerable. BTW, have anyone seen Capcom's "Powerstone" and "Darkstalkers" or what about the "Soul Calibur" anime is it any good?

Dude, what happened to your grammar?

Whoever told you Panzer Dragoon was "so-so" is being awfully nice. I'm planning a future Buried Garbage on it. Haven't seen Powerstone, but Dark Stalkers was shrill and horrible, even with a decent budget.

What happened to my grammar? It's a typo. That happens sometimes.

Speaking of the Soul Caliber anime, I thought that there was one that was supposed to be release a few years ago? I guess it never got past the drawing board.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
But as far as RPG to anime adaptations... well, so far Blue Dragon actually seems to be pretty decent (relatively anyway) for a children's show based on a children's game.

Normally I'd be inclined to agree, especially since I recently finished the game and began watching the show. But for all purposes, it's too much like a children's show. In fact the dub is too kiddy. If anyone saw the recent episode with Marumaro's intro to the team, you'll know what I'm talking about.
Tenebrae

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:20 am Reply with quote
I think that many, many MANY years past I nearly bought this on a VHS. I might be wrong, since it was so long ago, but I'm happy to hear I didn't miss much in case it was Suikoden. (Genso Suikoden games, on the other hand, rock - except IV which was a slight disappointment)

Gungrave is actually pretty decent as it clearly distances itself from the game. The anime tells the main protagonist's story in the service of the mafia-ish crime syndicate before he became Beyond the Grave. The game, I believe, is just a Devil May Cry derivative. As far as game tie-ins go this is the most well done I can remember.

As for cash-grab tie-ins, I believe nobody yet mentioned Final Fantasy Unlimited. An attempt by Square (or were they Squeenix by that time already?) to milk money with the name of a popular franchise... and they axed it halfway through its run. Also, many years past there was some FF: Crystal Legend or somesuch as well - I can't be bothered to look into the encyclopedia - which also smacked of a cash grab.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5