• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Yozakura Quartet GN 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:25 am Reply with quote
Thank you for reviewing this manga! I am tempeted to read this series, but I know have an idea on what this series is about.

Great review, I'll check this series out none the less. Also, I really liked how you described the characters, nothing but factual information. I look forward to seeing how the main male character some how dodges the harem bulltet.

Thank you again!
bleuster

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:48 am Reply with quote
Carlo, I absolutely agree with the uneven structure of the story, but looking back at Suzuhito Yasuda's past work in Robot, he's using more of the same here.
In very few pages he uses lots of space in large layouts with minimal dialogue which makes it intriguing, but it seems to work against him when he's trying to fit that in this volume.
If it was a little more organized the story would be a little more coherent. Yasuda even tries to explain that at the end.

For an illustrator tyring to create his own series, it's worth checking out to see where he takes it when he reaches his full potential.
So, yeah ...looking forward to Vol. 2.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:11 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the review! I' loved this title and have been waiting to see it up there. Smile

Quote:
Appealing characters with a balanced set of special abilities and stylish, action-packed artwork show lots of promise.
Promise is broken by too many scenes of unexciting everyday life, confusing gaps in story logic, and dull dialogue.

Aw, I was hoping the story would receive a higher grade. Perhaps if the chapters were left in the original order, the story would have flowed better? I was probably paying too much attention to the characters and artwork to really notice these things, though. I can't wait to see the characters in action in later volumes! After all, the author does say in the end that it "picks up" in volume two, so hopefully it will receive a better grade next time. But the art is definitely gorgeous. That's the main reason why I bought the series; I recognized it from Robot.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:40 am Reply with quote
I've been reading Del Ray manga since Negima was licensed, so I am sure this series can't be too bad. Since Carlo reviewed the first volume, I am going to have to check out this series when time permits.

90-95% of the time Carlo is right when he reviews any manga. I am interested in seeing how the main character dodges the harem bullet and how mysterious the older brother really is.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:56 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
90-95% of the time Carlo is right when he reviews any manga. I am interested in seeing how the main character dodges the harem bullet and how mysterious the older brother really is.

Yes, I agree with Carlo's reviews almost all of the time but sometimes like to play "but it's my favooriiite~!" Now that I've thought about it more, the story definitely takes too long as far as "introductions" go. I do remember myself thinking that some of the characters had been introduced well enough while other things -- like the random evil(?) cat-eared guy -- hadn't been explained as much. I still <3 the series like crazy, though, and this is only the first volume. It's charming.

As for the harem aspect, I don't see this title going in that direction at all. The author even makes fun of a "typical" harem introduction with his own characters after the main story.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

Yes, I agree with Carlo's reviews almost all of the time but sometimes like to play "but it's my favooriiite~!" Now that I've thought about it more, the story definitely takes too long as far as "introductions" go. I do remember myself thinking that some of the characters had been introduced well enough while other things -- like the random evil(?) cat-eared guy -- hadn't been explained as much. I still <3 the series like crazy, though, and this is only the first volume. It's charming.

As for the harem aspect, I don't see this title going in that direction at all. The author even makes fun of a "typical" harem introduction with his own characters after the main story.

Hopefully your right on the harem aspect. Harem series often aren't as interesting as one would belive.

spoiler[Ichigo 100% is a perfect example of this. In the anime finale, the main character doesn't end up with anyone, despite the five girls who liked him. Whereas the manga did this series some justice later on, but again the main character probably ended up by himself. With the exception of Love Hina and some other titles, at the end of the series, the main character usually ends up with no one.]

On a side note, I am just glad Del Ray is still publishing Negima and soon to be Kujbiki Unbalance.
Westlo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:29 am Reply with quote
Will be interesting to see if the anime goes with the action or development after the first chapter is animated.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1