• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Vision of the Other Side GN 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mageofthebooksolivia

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 12:10 am Reply with quote
Anyone else notice that this is a total ripoff of the two main characters from the manga Mars? Anyone just anyone look up the two main characters and you'll see the complete copying of them.
Surprised it wasn't mentioned.
~MageofthebooksOlivia~
sunflower

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 12:19 am Reply with quote
I've read the first volume of this too, and agree with much of what you say. But since you state that you haven't read any subsequent volumes I don't think that this should be included:

"When you get right down to it, it's just another star-crossed romance between two young people who hate each other for most of the series until they don't anymore and the story ends."

I've not either, but who knows? If I based my idea of Fruits Basket on vol 1 of that series (and for a couple of years I did and didn't read more) I'd have thought it was a typical shoujo comedy with nothing more to offer. And boy am I glad I stopped jumping to conclusions about that one.

Sure, Furuba is a special series. But there are some long-time fans of VotOS that tell me this one is too, so I'm reserving judgment. :)
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 12:30 am Reply with quote
mageofthebooksolivia wrote:
Anyone else notice that this is a total ripoff of the two main characters from the manga Mars? Anyone just anyone look up the two main characters and you'll see the complete copying of them.

That would be why they looked oddly familiar. Yeah, it definitely looks like Rei and Kira drawn in a different style...but at least the style is different enough and the story doesn't sound like Mars at all.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 12:40 am Reply with quote
double post

Last edited by marie-antoinette on Thu May 29, 2008 2:42 am; edited 1 time in total
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 1:43 am Reply with quote
I wonder why this has been the only Taiwanese manhua licensed in US... Germans know there are newer, better series available.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
portgas

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:57 pm Reply with quote
mageofthebooksolivia wrote:
Surprised it wasn't mentioned.
~MageofthebooksOlivia~

Mars is not a cornerstone of my existence, how do you mean copying? The storyline? It would have to be, it can't be the art. I wouldn't be surprised, but then Mars isn't particularly original either. I'm sure you'll find storylines similar to Mars that predate it.

As far as "newer" goes, newer doesn't mean better.

Why does manhua have to provide cultural background? This is a fantasy title. (This is almost as bad as those BL reviewers who find it more socially redeeming when the characters admit that they're gay. C'mon, you know why you're reading it, at least be honest with yourself.)

I think I took the most exception to this statement in the review -
" This “manhua” offers nothing that “manga” doesn't already, in spades." The implication is that manhua is not worth considering unless it's exceptional to any mediocre Japanese publication. Why consider manhua when you have manga?! Titles get no love unless they're Japanese.

It just so happens that I didn't care for this title, but I don't like girly, girly shoujo.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1