• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: English Code Geass Clips, Episode 1 Posted Online

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Houlgrave wrote:
Lmao. We go from Jun Fukuyama to Bosch for Lelouch? Sorry, but that just doesn't cut it in my book.

Better Johnny Bosch than some voice actor not many people have heard before. Mr. Bosch does an excellent job in Bleach as Ichigo, so I don't know what the problem is.
xvkarbear

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:45 pm Reply with quote
My only complaint was Kallen's line:

"You fellas know full well what this bad-a** mother can do!"

oi, who did the script for her?
SharinganEye

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Lelouch is meh and C.C. is wooden.

But Cornelia is right on the money. Razz
Beruda

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:10 pm Reply with quote
I don't know much about this series but so far it just seems like I've seen all this before. I'll give it some more time though. While I prefer subs I do like to see good quality dubs. As for the voice acting I would like to hear some new voices period. So many of these actors are getting over saturated in my opinion.

B.
frubam

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Bosch AGAIN!?!? They really should have gotten Steve Staley(Negi - Naruto) for Lelouch's voice Confused
JackCox

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:36 pm Reply with quote
frubam wrote:
Bosch AGAIN!?!? They really should have gotten Steve Staley(Negi - Naruto) for Lelouch's voice Confused

A lot of people thought he might play Lelouch, but the one I thought who should have played him was Liam O'Brien who is playing Lloyd. I feel he has this shakespearean sort of voice that can make Lelouch sonud like a psycho.
domino

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:39 pm Reply with quote
eughh, Bosch's happy-go-lucky voice doesn't suit Lulu at all. I don't watch anime dubs, but it seems every time I do, Bosch is playing the main character, which starts to give me a headache. Lulu opened his mouth and I groaned "oh, not YOU again..."

Bosch is talented, but sometimes I wish they'd finally find more than one guy who knows what he's doing and let him work, too...
JackCox

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Houlgrave wrote:
Lmao. We go from Jun Fukuyama to Bosch for Lelouch? Sorry, but that just doesn't cut it in my book.

Better Johnny Bosch than some voice actor not many people have heard before. Mr. Bosch does an excellent job in Bleach as Ichigo, so I don't know what the problem is.

I think some people have JYB overload, I guess some people feel they need to shake up the casting order sometimes.
BleuVII

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:42 pm Reply with quote
The dub is pretty good, but... suZAku? Are we STILL stressing the second syllable in names after all of these years? It makes me weep.

Other than that, I'm really interested in the dub. I kind of wish Adult Swim didn't have the regional lockout.
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:42 pm Reply with quote
domino wrote:
eughh, Bosch's happy-go-lucky voice doesn't suit Lulu at all. I don't watch anime dubs, but it seems every time I do, Bosch is playing the main character, which starts to give me a headache. Lulu opened his mouth and I groaned "oh, not YOU again..."

Bosch is talented, but sometimes I wish they'd finally find more than one guy who knows what he's doing and let him work, too...

Bosch doesn't only do happy-go-lucky voices. Ever played Devil May Cry 4?
emory

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:23 pm Reply with quote
xvkarbear wrote:

Mary Claypool writes the dub.
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:27 pm Reply with quote
xvkarbear wrote:

Well, those Nightmare Frames are badass mothers afterall. Don't you agree? Wink
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:05 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Also, no Pizza Hut Anime cry

spoiler[[Old Crap-I'm late to the game]
I'm comparing them side by side.English stream and Fansub.The Dub covered up the Pizza Hut banner.Added more spoken dialogue.Different Karen/Kalen pronunciation,xvkarbear mentioned "You fellas know full well what this bad-a** mother can do!"changed cheese for Karen,and you only get to hear a quarter of the ED song too.That's good,cause it rambles on for a while.That's about it.It's a good DUB Shocked (and I detest DUB's).That would be great if they cross promoted Pizza Hut,here too.]

I never got into this when it came out the first time.You guy's have obviously seen it.I liked Lelouch's spoiler[ evil "I just found a DeathNote"grin at the end.Does he abuse his new power?]
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:12 am Reply with quote
redhandgrunt wrote:
This is not a topic to argue with one guy. People have their opinions and are entitled to them. If you don't agree with something and don't really have anything constructive to say about it ignore it.
True, people are entitled to their opinions, but those opinions are only entitled to our respect if they have some basis in some corner of reality. There's a stark difference in saying "I watched the episode, and I didn't like the English dub because of [this], [that], and [that other thing]" vs. saying "I didn't watch the episode and I never will watch it because it's just for suckers who didn't see the fansubs and because the dub automatically fails for having [English VAs] instead of Norio Wakamoto and Jun Fukuyama." One of these opinions is grounded in reality, and the other isn't.

I watched through the episode, and overall it sounded pretty good. Some of LeLouche's grandiose lines could've been a bit deeper, but I liked a lot of the secondary male character voices like Diethardt and Lloyd. They were impressive enough on their own, but they were also near-perfect matches for the Japanese VAs. Didn't really hear enough of the student council girls to make a good judgement; Shirley sounded cute enough, but I felt like she would've sounded better in DVD-quality audio rather than TV/streaming-quality.

I'll be looking forward to watching more eps in this format as they come out each Friday.
JackCox

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:23 am Reply with quote
I personally agree and I feel the dub does get rescued by a lot of the supporting roles.

Crispin Freeman playing Jeremiah was a perfect fit, the psychotic craze he gave was what really made me smile.

I really really loved the dub and in my opinion it wasn't for Milly's high voice (I'm hoping it was just poor audio quality). It would be perfect.

The bashing of Bosch does have to stop, I do agree he is in too many shows I do feel he needs to move into more supporting roles, and while he's a very good voice actor the fans should make a point that Johnny does need to step back a bit and let some people do some more stuff. Nonetheless, blame Mr. Taniguchi for voice casting because he had a huge opinion and hand in picking them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5