• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: English Code Geass Clips, Episode 1 Posted Online

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CitizenGeek

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:24 am Reply with quote
Veoryn87 wrote:
I find nothing wrong with the dub. New voices just take getting use to.

Yeah, I agree! The dub seems pretty competent so far!
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:04 pm Reply with quote
I didn't think they had taken out the Pizza Hut references...or did they, I saw Cheese-kun in one scene on Lelouch's cellphone strap. Maybe they are gonna try cross promoting or what?
Efscope

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:06 pm Reply with quote
I found that the less important characters at this point (episode 1) such as;Lloyd, Clovis, Jeremiah, Viletta do be well done, please don't complain about how there not important, I am just saying that here in episode 1 we don't know a lot about them, as the series progress I'll be looking forward to hearing more of these voices spoiler[ except for Clovis since he dies in episode 2/3 ] as for the main cast, only time will sway me toward appreciating this dub cast.
Tenebrae

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Veoryn87 wrote:
I believe it was Johnny Yong Bosch that said "I'm an actor, not an imitator." So don't expect it to be exactly the same.

And he has every right to say that. But as I implied before, Lelouch as Zero is a charismatic leader of a rebellion. Because he can't show his face, his voice becomes an even more important tool in leading his forces. Johnny Zero here sounds as convincing as your token 4chan Anonymous trying to do the job. I'm not saying he's a bad actor, I'm saying he is not conveying Zero's character properly.

I'm a little biased I admit, because I know what the original sounds like and have built a certain preconception what Lelouch / Zero should be like.
Mirri

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:12 pm Reply with quote
The only voices I think were off were Rivalz and Lelouch. Shirley and Millay were a little bit iffy, but they'll definitely improve. Rivalz was pronounced different than I expected.. R-eye-val or R-eve-al would've been preferable to me. His voice kind of lost the, I really don't know how to describe it other than this, I feel funny saying it... "Twangy-ness" that it had. Also, Lelouch needed more of a difference between his Zero monologues and his Lelouch nice-ness. I think his Lelouch voice is good, but the Zero voice needs work.

I absolutely ADORED Lloyd's voice though. A little bit of improvement and it'd be COMPLETELY PERFECT. C.C. kind of lacked the dullness I expected in her voice, but was good.

Also, I thought that "Brittania" would be pronounced "Britt-A-nia" rather than "Britt-ANN-ia" but it's not a huge deal.

Overall, I'd say it's a better dub than I'd expected, but it still needs polishing. Of course, it's only the first episode and the first episode is always a little weak.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:02 pm Reply with quote
I actually thought the voices were pretty good. Granted, I never seen the Japanese version (then again...I never even heard of this show before I saw it on here Anime hyper), but I think so far it's good.

Finally something else on Adult Swim has interested me. Laughing
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:57 am Reply with quote
Mirri wrote:
Also, I thought that "Brittania" would be pronounced "Britt-A-nia" rather than "Britt-ANN-ia" but it's not a huge deal.

No, the second pronunciation is pretty much right - if you were spelling the word phonetically it would be "Britanya".

Now I'm going to have the tune to Rule Britannia stuck in my head all day. Confused
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:34 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
robtf wrote:
The Xenos wrote:
Oh geez. What the hell is wrong with this. Their voices sound terrible. Long live Japan? It's Nippon Banzai! Morons. They're speaking in this horrible translated language. To think they they would dub this series into the horrible language of English. The whole point of this series is that English is the worst language and is oppressing Japan. No more is this evident than in the horrible act of dubbing anime. Dubbing is the worst thing America has ever done to Japan. We all know Japan is superior and this show proves it. It should never be show in anything other than Japanese! Nippon Banzai! Death to America!

Wink

Best joke aimed at dub-haters ever.

You know, Adult Swim should, as a joke sometime (and sly reference to the show), air like an episode of family guy dubbed into Japanese instead of that week's episode of Code Geass. It's in the spirit of the show, after all Smile.

yeah, let me see how many Japanophile will choose the Japanese voice over English. If they choose Japanese, we get to called them anti-American because they think Japanese is better then America. Don't you hate when people insult the dubs, I've seen other dub in anime being much better then English and Japanese. I know Mexican and Latin American spanish do way much better dub then we do. But hey, I've seen good English dub.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:01 pm Reply with quote
RogueJedi86 wrote:
504NOSON wrote:
Well,that's nice for those who like dub and/or don't know that the entire 1st season is online. But,it really doesn't matter to me,since it will most likely suck(I mean,it is dub Rolling Eyes )and I've already seen season 1 and are on season 2. Sooooooo,yea

We don't tolerate elitist fansubbers around here. Dubs are better and better these days. You can't deny the awesomeness of the Bebop dub(even Shinichiro Watanabe, Japanese creator of CB, prefers the dub), and Death Note's dub is one of the better ones in years.

Give it a chance. Dubs are a lot better these days. I haven't heard a dub worse than "average" in years, and Code Geass is looking to be no exception. I'm hearing great things about the voices already.

Yeah dubs are getting better and on target. I don't trust fansubs most of the time, here's my reason: censorship (Japanese Broadcast) such as nudity removed, excessive violence removed, and mistranslation and using profanities where it was never used in japanese language. Here's my proof:

Girls Bravo (nudity covered up, a scene where Miharu eat a banana in a sexual way was removed in Japanese broadcast).
Air Gear (Nudity removed, and Japanese profanitites was bleeped)
Koi Koi 7 (a bath house scene with girls naked was removed including the girls touching the guy's penis was removed also)
Claymore (excessive violence was removed or altered)
several anime had mistranslation, there's just too many to list.

I like both subs and dubs. But they do have drawbacks. That's why I watch both of them. Dubs don't suck, if you say dubs suck then you're insulting the VA and the staff that work hard to license that anime for American release.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hideki-Motosuwa

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 7:58 am Reply with quote
I don't mind dubs all that much but there is a limit to how bad they can sound. My standards on these evaluations are when I try to compare recent dubs to my all-time favorite shows which in this case would be either El-Hazard, Tenchi Muyo, Battle Athletes, & Chobits.

In this case, the performance is rather horrible if you ask me. The fact that Johnny Bosch is being overused these days is disturbing to me (IE: Bleach, Haruhi Suzumiya, & even Devil May Cry 4) and its irritating but to give a rather lacking performance for someone like Lelouch is just wrong on so many levels. Much can be said for whomever is performing Karen & C.C. as well. As for the rest, I can cope with them.......any role that Crispin Freeman plays (ORANGE-KUN!!) is ok with me though. =D

Anyway, I'll stick with watching the fansubs but I'll always go back and look at the dub just to see just how much more screwed it can get if it improves over the course of the series.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Hideki-Motosuwa wrote:
I don't mind dubs all that much but there is a limit to how bad they can sound. My standards on these evaluations are when I try to compare recent dubs to my all-time favorite shows which in this case would be either El-Hazard, Tenchi Muyo, Battle Athletes, & Chobits.

In this case, the performance is rather horrible if you ask me. The fact that Johnny Bosch is being overused these days is disturbing to me (IE: Bleach, Haruhi Suzumiya, & even Devil May Cry 4) and its irritating but to give a rather lacking performance for someone like Lelouch is just wrong on so many levels. Much can be said for whomever is performing Karen & C.C. as well. As for the rest, I can cope with them.......any role that Crispin Freeman plays (ORANGE-KUN!!) is ok with me though. =D

Anyway, I'll stick with watching the fansubs but I'll always go back and look at the dub just to see just how much more screwed it can get if it improves over the course of the series.

Fansubs are not reliable 100%. I've seen some fansub anime that has censorship (usually Japanese Broadcast version) and mistranslations. I really don't want to watch fansub, I rather buy it on DVD to support the industry in US (remember Geneon, it ran out of business because of you dub haters). If I were you just buy the DVD (they're uncut) and watch it in Japanese language. Beside not all dub sucks, oh and about Devil may Cry 4, it never had any Japanese language, the English is the original in all DMC game (not counting the anime because it has Japanese language in it).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5