• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Visual to Offer Freedom on BD Worldwide in Fall

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:11 pm Reply with quote
kokuryu wrote:
Heh... while looking at sales over the weekend, I saw that HD DVDs were outselling BluRay DVDs by a factor of 10 to 1. Some "winning" format that is... And I tried to find some cheap BluRay players - yeah, I found them alright - they are all BROKEN BluRay players that nobody can fix that are for sale. These figures don't equate to a winning format.

Please stop making up statistics! According to Nielsen sales Blu-ray outsold HD DVD 86:14 on the week ending on April 13th 2008. This isn't even remotely 10 to 1 and is closer to 1 to 7 in favor for Blu-ray. The top 10 high definition sellers are all Blu-ray and the article ends with
Quote:
Blu-ray should fare better next week, as DVD doesn't have as much of an advantage in the exclusives department, and Blu has a few titles we expect to do well like the latest AVP.

I know from your previous posts that you are convinced that HD DVD has better quality encoding and that you hate Blu-ray. This is fine, but please stop making up numbers and post some support to your statements.

I hope BVUSA will follow through with their promise to release the rest of Freedom on HD DVD so my set will match, but I'm glad that I will be able to at least do the Blu-ray alternate route for volumes 6 and 7 if they decide not to release the HD DVD editions.

I'm already resigned on having a mixed Heroes and Battlestar Galactica collection since I own the first seasons on HD DVD, and think it would be silly to double dip on what probably will amount to the same PQ/AQ when the Blu-ray versions are released.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:08 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
hikaru004 wrote:
samuelp wrote:

Would Netflix or other rental services be able to get copies of the discs?

Netflix has Blu-ray titles for rental already and has had FREEDOM for rental in HD-DVD format.

But netflix has NOT had any of BV-USA's recent releases after they lost their distribution deal and had to switch to broccoli's distro. Try finding the latest disc of super robot wars on netflix and you'll be disappointed. People have been bugging netflix about it but it seems they aren't able to get the discs through normal means at this point with BV-USA's current distribution model.

Well, there's always RentAnime who doesn't seem to have a problem getting FREEDOM, SRWOG, Demon Prince Enma...

samuelp wrote:
hikaru004 wrote:
samuelp wrote:

Simultaneous worldwide INTERNET distribution is simple... (just stop using IP filters). Simultaneous worldwide physical disc distribution is much much more complicated. In fact, I wonder if it's even unprecedented? Then again, with the prices these will probably be sold at, sending a few hundred BDs around the world doesn't take much of an infrastructure Smile.

It's not unprecedented. ADV did it with Grrl Power and Media Blasters did it with Kite Liberator. Internet distribution is also not simple as they have to worry about what litigation the host country cable providers etc might do.

neither ADV nor Media Blasters really sold worldwide... They only sold to english speaking audiences. BV is trying to sell to korea, france, the US, maybe even germany, england, mexico... all at the same time. I don't think that's ever been attempted, and maybe it's mostly hot-air and they really just mean japan and the US/canada Smile.

Well we won't know until release day. But if it's on Amazon for the corresponding region then it counts towards a simultaneous worldwide release. If it's also available for download to own in regions where they can't physically sell the media then that also counts.

Detractors should sit back and see how this goes. It'll be interesting just like GONZO's foray into internet distribution of anime.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:33 am Reply with quote
Official press release (japanese) http://www.bandaivisual.co.jp/pdf/2008/pr080428.pdf

It mentions that the internet distribution will be through Bandai Channel and only talks about English subs and north america. Haven't done a complete translation of it yet, though, there might be some more tidbits.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3